The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article on Sportsnet.ca "Canucks Aren't Good Enough Anymore"

The Sedins have 2 points each in 3 games against San Jose.

Kesler has 2 points in 3 games against San Jose.

It's not lighting it up, but they're not as invisible as everyone says. Right now they're the only offence we have - our depth players like Higgins, Raymond, Hansen, Kassian and Lapierre are all point-less and not even generating opportunities. Heck, Roy only has an assist because the ref didn't call his blatant slash.

What really needs to be fixed though is our defence, and offence will come from that. We need to be much more sound in our own zone and move the puck up from there. Right now our pairing of Hamhuis-Garrison are fantastic, but they don't compare with any contending top pairing in the league.

Meanwhile our 2nd pairing of Edler-Bieksa is one of the worst combinations I've ever seen. These guys discombobulate every time they face a fast forecheck or any pressure at all, then they struggle to move the puck up ice, get hemmed in and scored on. Don't blame our forwards for not producing offence when our idiotic defencemen can't get the puck out of our own zone and up to them.

Then there's our 3rd pairing of AHL defencemen with Alberts and Corrado, who really shouldn't have to play an NHL game.

DEFENCE IS OUR PRIMARY PROBLEM, fix that and the offence and solid goaltending will come. Mark my words, the Cup winner this season will be the one with the best defence.

While I don't think an entire overhaul is needed (or even possible), change should be coming. I think the main problem is the fact that most of the team was around in 2011 and they just can't work themselves up for games anymore. Whether this is a coaching problem of not being able to motivate the team or if it's a personal problem of coming so close and losing it and becoming complacent, something needs to change.

This team can still dominate - they've shown it sporadically throughout the year, but they seem to lack the motivation most nights.

I think AV is done in Vancouver. To have a team that (on paper) should be one of the top in the league and yet failing to live up to expectations in the playoffs (1 post season win since 2011) should be enough to cost him his job.

MG - I'm not so sure. GM's usually get 2 coaches before they're really on the hot seat and I believe MG has done more good than harm to this team. That said, if MG sticks around you can bet his a$$ will be getting warm.

It actually occurred to me a while back....maybe this team just isn't good enough anymore.

It's hard to imagine that a team the finished with the most goals for and the least goals against, just two years ago could fall so far, but the numbers don't lie. This team just can't score anymore.

Personally, I don't think Daniel has been the same since the elbow from Keith. Over the course of the past two playoff series, I have watched pucks bounce off his stick and hesitation to shoot/pass that we never saw in 2011 or before. The problem is, one Sedin being a bit off, for the most part, means both Sedins being off...

I'm not sure what the answer is. Yes, we could try and move guys like Edler, Bieksa, etc, but their value is probably as low as it could be right now.

Your beef with the Sedins is that they dont 'look' dangerous till they score their goals. Duh. Their game is based on cycling and finding open players to make saucer passes to. Not 'skate in at a blinding speed and look super-impressive while skating around the entire offensive zone, then throw it blindly into the middle' ala Kane or ' snap a quick release from the hashmarks all day long' like Marleau. Dangerous or not, they happen to consistently, year in and year out outperform players who are 1 to 2 million more expensive than them and a damn sight more fragile. In the playoffs, in the regular season. Yes, they will have the occasional mediocre series (Boston) and the occasional bad ones. That happens to every one of them, including your so-called better players.

If you wish to convince me that the Sedins are not amongst the top 10 playoff performing forwards over the last 3-4 years, you might as well re-evaluate your entire understanding of hockey.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Raymond Kesler Burrows

Higgins Roy Hansen

Booth Lappy Weise

- Sestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

- Ballard Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

Call me crazy and in denial but this is as deep a team as we ever had. In fact this team is even deeper than the 2011 cup run team. So what's the problem? Coaching. They are failing to bring the best out of the players and are simply continuing to do something that once brought them success but has long since been figured out (the drop pass on pp is one good example)

Problem with Sedins is that they are still trying to rely on their cycle game when they should work on more direct offensive zone tactics like shoot rebound or straight driving to the net. Crosby was said to be more of a passer than shooter, so he worked on his shot and scored 50+ goals; then he was said to be no good in face offs and he worked on that and is now one of the most dominant face off man in the league. Meanwhile Sedins have been bashed for years to rely too much on cycle game with no shot and yet they continue to do it year in and year out. If they don't get that shot of theirs going, and believe me, they have good shots, they will not find playoff success because there isn't simply enough room for them to cycle in the playoffs!

Bring in a new coaching staff, show them what they can do with their shot and they are still able to produce, I guarantee. It is extremely hard to find top 2C's in this league( Leafs and Flames still looking for that elusive top centean after so many years) and so dumping Daniel and especially Henrik will be the biggest mistake we will ever make, well... At least one of the biggest mistakes we will ever make

My beef with the Sedins, they have never showed up come playoff time. 2011 they were alright but far from great. I thank them for what they have done for this team, community but Im totally done with all that, they need to show up for the most important time of the year.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Raymond Kesler Burrows

Higgins Roy Hansen

Booth Lappy Weise

- Sestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

- Ballard Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

Call me crazy and in denial but this is as deep a team as we ever had. In fact this team is even deeper than the 2011 cup run team.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Raymond Kesler Burrows

Higgins Roy Hansen

Booth Lappy Weise

- Sestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

- Ballard Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

Call me crazy and in denial but this is as deep a team as we ever had. In fact this team is even deeper than the 2011 cup run team. So what's the problem? Coaching. They are failing to bring the best out of the players and are simply continuing to do something that once brought them success but has long since been figured out (the drop pass on pp is one good example)

Problem with Sedins is that they are still trying to rely on their cycle game when they should work on more direct offensive zone tactics like shoot rebound or straight driving to the net. Crosby was said to be more of a passer than shooter, so he worked on his shot and scored 50+ goals; then he was said to be no good in face offs and he worked on that and is now one of the most dominant face off man in the league. Meanwhile Sedins have been bashed for years to rely too much on cycle game with no shot and yet they continue to do it year in and year out. If they don't get that shot of theirs going, and believe me, they have good shots, they will not find playoff success because there isn't simply enough room for them to cycle in the playoffs!

Bring in a new coaching staff, show them what they can do with their shot and they are still able to produce, I guarantee. It is extremely hard to find top 2C's in this league( Leafs and Flames still looking for that elusive top centean after so many years) and so dumping Daniel and especially Henrik will be the biggest mistake we will ever make, well... At least one of the biggest mistakes we will ever make

Ok. You're crazy. And in denial... This team is so far phuhck its ridiculous. Complacency = lack of effort. Lack of effort = first round exit 2 years in a row. Just because you have great players, doesnt mean an instant winner in the playoffs. Some players showed up. Others havent and seem like they never will. This team needs to dismantle and try again. Starting from management and outwards.

I think one of the biggest problems for the Canucks is coaching, they have plenty of talent at all positions. AV plays his favourites so much that they have less motivation. Having a healthy competition for ice time is absolutely necessary. Last year Chicago had the same problem, but this year the coach has been giving out ice time based on merit and it's worked out much better.

Replace AV and trade Schneider, that's the plan for the summer (IMO).

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Raymond Kesler Burrows

Higgins Roy Hansen

Booth Lappy Weise

- Sestito

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

- Ballard Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

Shame on anyone for bashing the Sedins. Without them this team doesn't even make the playoffs.

It's time for people to face the facts that we're a team that relies on great goaltending and 1 and a half lines.

If the goaltending isn't stellar the team loses. If the Sedins don't score, the team loses. You can't put that much expectation on 3 players. Good teams don't win that way.

If anyone is to blame it's MG and AV. MG for completely gutting the supporting cast of this team and ruining the best chemistry the Sedins have had with a D-man in their careers. And AV for being completely incapable of motivating this team and getting them on the same page.

Sad, but true. Our elite status window lasted what 2-3 years? We blew our chance in 2011 to win our cup. :( Now our window is closed and we'll go back to being a middling playoff team, instead of an elite cup contender. Maybe in 15 years our window will open up again. :(

Shame on anyone for bashing the Sedins. Without them this team doesn't even make the playoffs.

It's time for people to face the facts that we're a team that relies on great goaltending and 1 and a half lines.

If the goaltending isn't stellar the team loses. If the Sedins don't score, the team loses. You can't put that much expectation on 3 players. Good teams don't win that way.

If anyone is to blame it's MG and AV. MG for completely gutting the supporting cast of this team and ruining the best chemistry the Sedins have had with a D-man in their careers. And AV for being completely incapable of motivating this team and getting them on the same page.

Archived