* * * - - 6 votes

White Noise Canucks Talk

• Please log in to reply
790 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Me and a few others thought this place could use a thread that 90% CDC will ignore so we could discuss the Canucks and hockey in general without having to wade through the cesspool that is Canucks Talk.

So here it goes, enjoy and play nice!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 08 April 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#2 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Trd Shnider and Lulongo for Crbsy Gills

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#3 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

So I must say the one thing I do like about this series is kassian. Really showing that he wants to do well.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#4 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,193 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yay!!!

I'll start with AV, regardless of how you may or may not feel about him and barring a miracle comeback and long run, I think it's safe to say his days are probably numbered. Not sure how Gillis could keep him on if they go out as is likely at this point. And this is from an AV supporter!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Gooby

Gooby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

POPULAR

conair mcdevood pls
Posted Image

#6 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

gooby pls

#7 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

i c what you did there.. ;) ;)

pretty sure mg thought he was going to get more firepower for a Lu trade and when that didn't happen, they were all just stuck with a declining rate of return as injuries went up

now give me my lobster bisque!
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#8 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

BananaMush suxs

Posted Image

#9 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,009 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

gooby sounds way too coherent in your thing

11azxw1.jpg

Praise Smooze.

#10 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Do you guys think Edler deserves another chance to prove his consistency or should we trade him? Assuming we lose the series.

Posted Image

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#11 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yay!!!

I'll start with AV, regardless of how you may or may not feel about him and barring a miracle comeback and long run, I think it's safe to say his days are probably numbered. Not sure how Gillis could keep him on if they go out as is likely at this point. And this is from an AV supporter!

I don't hate AV either (I may have said some... "strong" things against him in the past, but it's moslty just venting, I have nothing against him personally), but I do believe you need to change coaching staff, management, ect, every once in a while to remain effective. I believe for the Canucks that the time is now with coaching anyway.

Honestly, I think the Canucks shot at a Cup is done for the time being, but I hope they can get lucky in the drafts and stay competitive throughout the years, like Detroit this past decade.

You never know, hockey, she is a strange mistress...

#12 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Do you guys think Edler deserves another chance to prove his consistency or should we trade him? Assuming we lose the series.

We trade him for crsby n McFleury

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#13 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

: P(i)
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#14 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

- coach vig is done (a season too late)
- gmmg is done (2 years of the luongo saga really hindered the team)
- big changes are gonna happen (wouldnt be surprized if a few key pieces get moved)

I know gmmg hasn't done too many kneejerk reactions because they tend to hurt a team more than help, but he took it way too far in keeping viggy when he got outcoached frequently (and only got bailed out by a very good canucks team), not addressing the ballard situation very well, and the mismanagement of luongo was straight up handled amaturely.

we have a much deeper and more talented team than the Islanders, yet they are easily 3x the playoff team we are because they actually want to win and are giving the pens a very hard time. Whereas for us, if we go down a goal, good luck. May as well turn the tv off
orig2.jpg

#15 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

I think he should get one more shot. He's great offensively he just needs to work on his defensive game.

#16 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

i can see labelling anything canucks talk brings out what runs rampant in that forum.

though if we do get swept there is a possibility MG starts pulling triggers, or, more likely, he'll say it's a circumstance of the shortened season, and nothing will change. small transactions, outside of lou getting moved, and not much else.

if we fail next season i'd be more than fine to hold a fire sale at that point and just keep a few pieces and go for a rebuild built around McDavid starting in 2015

#17 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 19,193 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

I think if MG decides to make some actual and large personnel changes to the core, he's likely one of the more obvious pieces that could move AND get something fairly substantial in return. Especially if part of a package. Honestly our D doesn't look terrible without him now that Garrison has sorted himself out and with the emergence of Corrado (and a healthy Tanev). (Though other than Garrison, it's still lacking some size/toughness...sadly those guys just don't grow on trees.) And if you can get a legit 1st/2nd line winger to play with either of the twins/Kesler for Edler....

Hammer, Juice
Garrison, Tanev
Alberts/UFA, Corrado

- coach vig is done (a season too late)
- gmmg is done (2 years of the luongo saga really hindered the team)
- big changes are gonna happen (wouldnt be surprized if a few key pieces get moved)

I know gmmg hasn't done too many kneejerk reactions because they tend to hurt a team more than help, but he took it way too far in keeping viggy when he got outcoached frequently (and only got bailed out by a very good canucks team), not addressing the ballard situation very well, and the mismanagement of luongo was straight up handled amaturely.

we have a much deeper and more talented team than the Islanders, yet they are easily 3x the playoff team we are because they actually want to win and are giving the pens a very hard time. Whereas for us, if we go down a goal, good luck. May as well turn the tv off

I'm personally willing to give MG a bit more time. He's filled in roster spots around the existing core that was here before him but as yet hasn't truly put his own stamp on the team. I view this summer as an OPPORTUNITY for him to really start to make this team over in HIS vision. THEN we see if he sinks or swims.

The Luongo thing I personally view as more unfortunate circumstances than necessarily poor handling. I believe that he had a deal with TO last summer that Lu kiboshed...then the lockout, crap market etc and everything else that happened was largely out of his hands.

i can see labelling anything canucks talk brings out what runs rampant in that forum.

though if we do get swept there is a possibility MG starts pulling triggers, or, more likely, he'll say it's a circumstance of the shortened season, and nothing will change. small transactions, outside of lou getting moved, and not much else.

if we fail next season i'd be more than fine to hold a fire sale at that point and just keep a few pieces and go for a rebuild built around McDavid starting in 2015

The biggest problem I see with MG holding steady is that when it really comes down to it, the Canucks are a product. A product that the buying public feels is growing stale. They were already starting to have issues this year with selling that product. I don't see how you can come back next year with largely the same product that we've all seen not get the job done for the last few years and try to sell it again. SOMETHING of decent size/scope will have to change to keep interest in the product IMO.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Though other than Garrison, it's still lacking some size/toughness...sadly those guys just don't grow on trees.

I could be completely out to lunch on this but I think Corrado could evolve (at lv.32 :P ) into a Tanev/Garrison hybrid.

From what I've seen he's got great poise like Tanev and he seems to like to hit, granted he hasn't lain any bone crushing hits but he is the same hight as Garrison at 6'2" but he's only like 190lbs (Garrison is listed at 220), so if he could add some muscle he could be a Tanev with punch. Key word: could.

Or like I said, I'm completely wacked in my assessment of Corrado...

#19 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,220 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

I could be completely out to lunch on this but I think Corrado could evolve (at lv.32 :P ) into a Tanev/Garrison hybrid.

From what I've seen he's got great poise like Tanev and he seems to like to hit, granted he hasn't lain any bone crushing hits but he is the same hight as Garrison at 6'2" but he's only like 190lbs (Garrison is listed at 220), so if he could add some muscle he could be a Tanev with punch. Key word: could.

corrado doesn't play anything like tanev though... corrado will become something more akin to bieksa than tanev. maybe edler (corrado has a cannon too, he just hasn't had the opportunity to use it.)

#20 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 19,193 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

corrado doesn't play anything like tanev though... corrado will become something more akin to bieksa than tanev. maybe edler (corrado has a cannon too, he just hasn't had the opportunity to use it.)

Nope, not as insane as you normally seem to be Gum :P

Yeah Av, I think the Tanev comparison gets made as they both seemingly came in and played cooly and within themselves. Neither guy seems particularly phased at playing at this level, which is GREAT. Otherwise yes, Corrado has a bit different skillset, which is also good. If he can add ~15lbs of muscle with some off season training he'd be an even better fit on that RHD 3rd pairing spot.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

The main differences I see between Corrado and Tanev are: Corrado isn't afraid to throw his body around. He doesn't throw huge hits, but he's not afraid to finish a check. Tanev seems like he'd rather wait and use his stick or positioning to get the forward off the puck. Corrado has a bigger shot than Tanev, even though Tanev's shot it miles better this year than it was previously.

It's great to have two defensive youngsters who are so poised in the NHL already. I don't really know who to compare Tanev to, but Corrado seems to be like a Hamhuis-lite with a bit better of a shot. I wouldn't really compare him to Bieksa/Edler, because they're not nearly as calm. They have mental lapses frequently on the ice.

Either way, it's cool to have some good prospects.

wZEgqzy.png

#22 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

The Tanev/Corrado comparisons I was making was just about their poise/how calm and cool they are unde pressure mainly. The comparisons end there, like Mash said, Corrado is more of a hitter while Tanev prefers to use his stick and good positioning, but don't we all? :P

Actually, a Corrado/Hamhuis comparison isn't all that bad from what I've seen.

I just want everyone to know, when I make comparisons it's in the most general sense possible I'm not implying that player A is exactly like player B.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 07 May 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#23 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 19,193 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

The Tanev/Corrado comparisons I was making was just about their poise/how calm and cool they are unde pressure mainly. The comparisons end there, like Mash said, Corrado is more of a hitter while Tanev prefers to use his stick and good positioning, but don't we all? :P

Actually, a Corrado/Hamhuis comparison isn't all that bad from what I've seen.

I just want everyone to know, when I make comparisons it's in the most general sense possible I'm not implying that player A is exactly like player B.

Don't worry. Hopefully here in CMN, if you happen to compare an aspect of a current player/prospect to to something Linden or Bure did, no one will feel compelled to force it in to a 10 page argument about how players are themselves and to compare them to past stars is stupid...yadda, yadda.

I think we get it Gum, you're not saying he IS Hamhuis 2.0 etc ;)

Edited by J.R., 07 May 2013 - 11:26 AM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 peener

peener

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

go sharks
Posted Image

Twilight Sparkle rocks the house

#25 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

go sharks

Get out!

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#26 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Canucks Talk for sensible people... I like it.

#27 OptionalPants

OptionalPants

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Canucks need to just tank a few seasons and stock up on draft picks...top notch draft picks. Though knowing Canucks luck with drafting they'll draft a first overall guy who doesn't turn out.
(We all know how well this worked for edmonton...)
Posted Image
Credit to euphoria/ for the awesome sauce sig

#28 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 19,193 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Canucks need to just tank a few seasons and stock up on draft picks...top notch draft picks. Though knowing Canucks luck with drafting they'll draft a first overall guy who doesn't turn out.
(We all know how well this worked for edmonton...)

See I don't really agree with this line of thinking. IF you can truly stay competitive with competent re-tooling and some luck with prospects etc you don't sell off and tank. If you're truly able to remain competitive and get in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen.

Now if you are losing more than you're winning and missing or just barely fighting for a playoff spot and you have valuable assets to sell? By all mean sell, go youth movement with some key vets and rebuild with high draft picks for a couple years. We're not here IMO. If this summer/next year don't go well we could get there sure. But we're not there yet.

Edited by J.R., 07 May 2013 - 11:47 AM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think if we were to trade Edler Couturier would be a good return and fit our needs (assuming Roy walks).

Posted Image

#30 OptionalPants

OptionalPants

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

See I don't really agree with this line of thinking. IF you can truly stay competitive with competent re-tooling and some luck with prospects etc you don't sell off and tank. If you're truly able to remain competitive and get in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen.

Now if you are losing more than you're winning and missing or just barely fighting for a playoff spot and you have valuable assets to sell? By all mean sell, go youth movement with some key vets and rebuild with high draft picks for a couple years. We're not here IMO. If this summer/next year don't go well we could get there sure. But we're not there yet.

I wasn't being completely serious there. As i pointed out this tanking method did not work to well for edmonton, however in a few years they'll be stacked. I think that there needs to be the right mix of veteran prescence and rookie talent. For example...keep the Sedins and a couple of defencemen, but trade away some others for youth and a future while still remaining competitive.
Posted Image
Credit to euphoria/ for the awesome sauce sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.