The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

White Noise Canucks Talk

Guest Gumballthechewy

The main differences I see between Corrado and Tanev are: Corrado isn't afraid to throw his body around. He doesn't throw huge hits, but he's not afraid to finish a check. Tanev seems like he'd rather wait and use his stick or positioning to get the forward off the puck. Corrado has a bigger shot than Tanev, even though Tanev's shot it miles better this year than it was previously.

It's great to have two defensive youngsters who are so poised in the NHL already. I don't really know who to compare Tanev to, but Corrado seems to be like a Hamhuis-lite with a bit better of a shot. I wouldn't really compare him to Bieksa/Edler, because they're not nearly as calm. They have mental lapses frequently on the ice.

Either way, it's cool to have some good prospects.

Guest Gumballthechewy

The Tanev/Corrado comparisons I was making was just about their poise/how calm and cool they are unde pressure mainly. The comparisons end there, like Mash said, Corrado is more of a hitter while Tanev prefers to use his stick and good positioning, but don't we all? :P

Actually, a Corrado/Hamhuis comparison isn't all that bad from what I've seen.

I just want everyone to know, when I make comparisons it's in the most general sense possible I'm not implying that player A is exactly like player B.

The Tanev/Corrado comparisons I was making was just about their poise/how calm and cool they are unde pressure mainly. The comparisons end there, like Mash said, Corrado is more of a hitter while Tanev prefers to use his stick and good positioning, but don't we all? :P

Actually, a Corrado/Hamhuis comparison isn't all that bad from what I've seen.

I just want everyone to know, when I make comparisons it's in the most general sense possible I'm not implying that player A is exactly like player B.

Don't worry. Hopefully here in CMN, if you happen to compare an aspect of a current player/prospect to to something Linden or Bure did, no one will feel compelled to force it in to a 10 page argument about how players are themselves and to compare them to past stars is stupid...yadda, yadda.

I think we get it Gum, you're not saying he IS Hamhuis 2.0 etc ;)

Canucks need to just tank a few seasons and stock up on draft picks...top notch draft picks. Though knowing Canucks luck with drafting they'll draft a first overall guy who doesn't turn out.

(We all know how well this worked for edmonton...)

See I don't really agree with this line of thinking. IF you can truly stay competitive with competent re-tooling and some luck with prospects etc you don't sell off and tank. If you're truly able to remain competitive and get in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen.

Now if you are losing more than you're winning and missing or just barely fighting for a playoff spot and you have valuable assets to sell? By all mean sell, go youth movement with some key vets and rebuild with high draft picks for a couple years. We're not here IMO. If this summer/next year don't go well we could get there sure. But we're not there yet.

See I don't really agree with this line of thinking. IF you can truly stay competitive with competent re-tooling and some luck with prospects etc you don't sell off and tank. If you're truly able to remain competitive and get in the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen.

Now if you are losing more than you're winning and missing or just barely fighting for a playoff spot and you have valuable assets to sell? By all mean sell, go youth movement with some key vets and rebuild with high draft picks for a couple years. We're not here IMO. If this summer/next year don't go well we could get there sure. But we're not there yet.

I wasn't being completely serious there. As i pointed out this tanking method did not work to well for edmonton, however in a few years they'll be stacked. I think that there needs to be the right mix of veteran prescence and rookie talent. For example...keep the Sedins and a couple of defencemen, but trade away some others for youth and a future while still remaining competitive.

The biggest problem I see for MG next year is that we've got some youth that's close to making an impact but is likely a couple years out realistically.

Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder and Kassian in some form or another will be stellar in a couple years IMO but I don't think we can rely on them to form even a regular 3rd line next year full time.

An appropriate stop gap is hard to do there, particularly with the cap coming down....

I don't hate AV either (I may have said some... "strong" things against him in the past, but it's moslty just venting, I have nothing against him personally), but I do believe you need to change coaching staff, management, ect, every once in a while to remain effective. I believe for the Canucks that the time is now with coaching anyway.

Honestly, I think the Canucks shot at a Cup is done for the time being, but I hope they can get lucky in the drafts and stay competitive throughout the years, like Detroit this past decade.

You never know, hockey, she is a strange mistress...

Yeah, things are just ... stale. Sadly the coaching team probably should go. Perhaps even the management team but I'm not sold on that yet. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Changes to the core will need to be made too. Honestly, I'd have a heart to heart with the Sedins and see what their thoughts are. They deserve that. But, when their next contracts come up, the Canucks should only pay them like top end 2nd liners, because that is all they'll be able to afford if they want to sign players for a 1st line.

I'd trade Edler, I bet he still has some value. I'd also trade Kesler, Burrows, and Lapierre (or is his contract up?). Even though all 3 of those players have reformed to various degrees the Canucks will ALWAYS be labeled whiners and divers if they are on the team (and even that may not be enough to get rid of the label). Kesler, too, seems like he wouldn't mind a change of scenery.

Don't worry. Hopefully here in CMN, if you happen to compare an aspect of a current player/prospect to to something Linden or Bure did, no one will feel compelled to force it in to a 10 page argument about how players are themselves and to compare them to past stars is stupid...yadda, yadda.

so he's saying that he will be hamhuis but with a different name, gotcha. time to fire up the 1,000,000 monkeys typing on 1,000,000 typwriters to prove just how wrong he is.
Guest Gumballthechewy

Sorry, still not use to sensible people talking about hockey. :lol:

so he's saying that he will be hamhuis but with a different name, gotcha. time to fire up the 1,000,000 monkeys typing on 1,000,000 typwriters to prove just how wrong he is.

:P

Sorry, still not use to sensible people talking about hockey. :lol:

The worst is at the draft, when they say "Playing Style: Stamkos" or something like that, and everyone assumes that the player is going to be the next Stamkos. That's not what comparisons mean CDC, dammit!

The worst is at the draft, when they say "Playing Style: Stamkos" or something like that, and everyone assumes that the player is going to be the next Stamkos. That's not what comparisons mean CDC, dammit!

"omg patrick white is like, next briere!

Anyone else thought is was a mistake to start Cory last game?

Yes, but I say we have to play him this game now that he was put back in. Nobody would have blinked because Schneid's was injured and Lu was playing well.

Really AV should have rolled with Lu until/if there needed to be a goalie change. Now that Schneid's was put in and given that it's going to be his team going forward you can't put Lu back in short of a Corey meltdown or injury.

That said I have every confidence in Corey's abilities. People who think the sky's falling because of a couple questionable goals in ONE game need to give their heads a shake. Guy's the real deal.

Archived