The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cam Cole (Vancouver Sun) RIPS Mike Gillis and Canucks to Shreds - Defends Alain Vigneault

Gillis has done a terrific job, he just doesn't seem to be much of a hockey guy. Odd since he played himself once upon a time. He would have made a fantastic President or Asst GM or would have fit in great somewhere else in the front office, but I am starting to feel it is very important to keep him away from hockey related decisions. Everything else, the guy is gold, he is as good as it gets.

I think AV has also done a terrific job, but as has been mentioned, after 7 years things get stale. Its time for him to move on, better for him, better for the Canucks. He will have a lot of success as an NHL coach for a long time.

Mike Gillis will not be fired. Anyone who thinks that fails to realize one thing he is doing very well at; which is making the Aquilini's lots of money. That alone will allow him to keep his job.

And our drafting has been good in the last few years. People just buy into the popular belief that it's not because it's not creating immediate results. And then a guy like Corrado gets called up and you realize that there is talent coming up.

Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, and Kassian will all be future top 6 players. And Tanev and Corrado are already proving to be blue chippers. Then you throw in Lack in the goaltending deapartment, and you realize we do have quite a bit of talent coming up.

Fans just need to be patient. The solid drafting of the last few years will start to pay dividends soon enough.

"We've fought our way back, taken the lead, and we've absolutely dominated the third period. Short shifts, guys, dump and change, dump and change, let's do this!" - AV with 8 minutes left in game 2 (just like every other game in which we have a 1-goal lead).

"Well, Lu, I know you've been real good and given us a chance to win both games ... and Schneider hasn't played in 2 weeks, is coming off an injury, and is sick. I'm going to have to flip a coin." - AV before game 3.

How is he a good owner? He fired the most successful management group in the history of this organization for an inept schmuck and we have some of the highest ticket prices in the NHL. If that's a "great" owner I would hate to see your definition of a bad one.

Most successful management group was Nonis? In 3 years, we made the playoffs once ... and when Gillis took over, we were expected to be basement dwellers, but we ended up winning the division ... and then another ... and another ... and another ... and another ...

Interesting take on success ...

The entire article is one big hyperbole. While there is some truth in there, I don't really agree with much. Judging CS future for one bad game after returning from injury. Give it a rest Cole. This wasn't the Canucks' year, Gillis has screwed up at times, AV can't push the right buttons...end of story

No one is trying to blame only one person though. The reasons AV needs to go have nothing to do with trying to scapegoat him as 100% at fault. I think most objective people can see that it is the fault of the entire organization.

But in practical terms, the easiest piece to replace is the coaching staff. Especially on the Canucks where there are a lot of NTC/NMC and some pretty bad contracts. Making trades that help the team will not be as easy as many think with a lower cap.

I am not a fan of AV but he is not the only issue. He is one though and happens to be in the job that usually is the first to go. He has already dodged that bullet a few times.

And all the players that made the Canucks successful were leftovers from the Nonis/Burke years. Gillis just inherited a team at the right time.

Name one good move that Gillis has made since 2011.

When a team plays like this, the entire organization is to blame, really.

Further, i'd blame the entire league, as i sense that politics are in play. It's not a coincidence that Gillis' god-like moves ceased after this team went to the finals. Now it seems that this team has had to pay a toll for that trip and then some.

But this happens to most teams that go to the finals and lose. You retool. You build from within. You go for it again.

As bad as this inevitable fall has been, you cannot give up all hope. Things will come around.

Meanwhile, AV appears to have lost the room. It's going to have to be up to the players to salvage this run.

Check the numbers. The team is worth more now than it was when Gillis got here.

Ticket prices are higher then they've ever been, and merchandise sales are very strong.

Going to the finals will have that effect on a team, and Gillis will ride that for as long as he can.

How is he a good owner? He fired the most successful management group in the history of this organization for an inept schmuck and we have some of the highest ticket prices in the NHL. If that's a "great" owner I would hate to see your definition of a bad one.

I never really expected this season to happen at all, not after the lockout started, I think we should all just forget about it. Gillis and AV get a do-over. Obviously issue one is to trade one of the goalies. Issue two is to get under the cap by trade or buyout. Issue three is filling holes on right-side D and the bottom six. Issue four is to address the shallow prospect pool.

I remember back to when making the playoffs was a big deal around here. The fact everyone is freaking out over (likely) two straight early exits, the fact everyone is freaking out about where the team is right now just shows how far the franchise has come. It wasn't so long ago that we were regularly missing the playoffs and nobody really cared.

For real, this series has been a real close one. A bounce or a call here or there and it could be us up 3-0. It's not like we are getting dominated or anything. All we can ask as fans is that the team is a contender with a good shot at postseason success, and it has been for years now, things are good. Sucks that we are losing, but the big picture is just fine.

they both need to go. after 2011, they probably have a few years to see if they could get this team back there. Clearly, neither of them can.

Archived