The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amanda Berry and Two Others Found Alive in Ohio

nucklehead

Brutal, so much trauma there. It's a tragic story but hopefully now that they are free they can somehow find a way to move on and enjoy life and the freedom they now have. It's sad that the mother died 6 years ago, they say it was of a broken heart.

Two woman who have gone through similar ordeals are speaking out.

Famous kidnapping survivors Jaycee Dugard and Elizabeth Smart have words of wisdom for the three women found this week in Cleveland years after their disappearance.

Dugard was abducted from a California bus stop in 1991 at age 11 and held captive for 18 years in a backyard, where she gave birth to two children conceived by rape. She made an oblique reference Tuesday to the Cleveland case as she accepted an award in Washington from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

"What an amazing time to be talking about hope, with everything that's happening," she said in her brief remarks. She urged the hundreds of people at the annual awards gala not to give up on missing children. "Just urge yourself to care," she said.

In a statement released earlier through her publicist, Dugard said the women need a chance to heal and reconnect with the world. She said that the human spirit is resilient, and that the case reaffirms that people should never give up hope.

Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, said in Washington that she understood what the relatives of the Cleveland victims were going through.

"I feel the same relief and the same joy that I felt when Jaycee was returned to me safely after 18 hellish years," she said. "I never doubted for one minute that I would someday be reunited with my daughter."

John Ryan, CEO of the centre, praised the vigilance of investigators in Cleveland, saying they followed up on tips and never forgot about the missing women.

"There are other missing children out there that are only a phone call away from getting away from their predators," Ryan said. "I have every hope and confidence that this will lead to future recoveries."

Ryan said the three women would likely be honoured by his group in the future. "I think they're going to be at the top of the list," he said.

In comments Tuesday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Smart said she was overjoyed to hear about the happy ending for the Cleveland women, who escaped Monday after being missing a decade.

She said the ordeal highlights the importance of the public staying alert and vigilant. She advised the women to focus on moving forward and let go of the past. Smart says it's also important for others to respect the privacy of those women as they recover from the decade-long ordeal.

Smart was kidnapped from her bedroom in Salt Lake City when she was 14. She was freed nine months later when she was found walking with her captor on a suburban street in March 2003.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jaycee+Dugard+Cleveland+women+need+opportunity+heal+reconnect/8351757/story.html#ixzz2SjIlSKrQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayH1xFtalw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjkce4b6l40

This guy is a hero, as hard as that may seem to swallow. From all the interviews he's had and the laughs viewers get out of them, we/you/the viewers have to understand that this guy - Charles Ramsey - is 100% a truth talker.

Sure he seems like quite a comical person, but put that aside and you realize that although he seems funny to us, this guy doesn't care what others think and does what he does with a passion. He doesn't let a few cameras and interviews change who he really is, and he has various characteristics that make him who he is, such as intelligent, funny (Although he doesn't realize it...it's who is he is which makes him such a great being), caring, serious, good hearted, leader, man, etc.

And as we all see, he doesn't act different on camera than in real life and he expresses himself whole heart-idly. Idk, but this guy is an excellent human being - just by seeing videos, I can tell he is a honest person who takes action for justice - and one that anyone can look up to really. This guy's something...Charles Ramsey, remember the name..

The cops really cant be blamed all that much for this. How were they or anyone to know the girls were in this house. Police get a call from some random person about seeing a naked woman in a backyard. In a ghetto type neighborhood how serious is this compared to shootings and violent robberies going on. And the "the cops should have been on the lookout because a girl disappeared here 10 years earlier" Really? are you serious. A girl long given up for dead.

Hopefully the 3 women and child can get on with their lives and the man/men responsible can face the rest of their behind bars. Maybe the man/men will get to know firsthand what its like to be trapped helpless with a sexual predator.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/09/us/ohio-missing-women-found/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

An excerpt:

In conversations with police immediately after she was freed, she said that when Castro learned she was pregnant, he would "make her abort the baby," according to the document.

Knight "stated that he starved her for at least 2 weeks, then he repeatedly punched her in the stomach until she miscarried," the initial police report states.

But Castro ordered Knight to deliver Amanda Berry's child when she became pregnant, according to a police source familiar with the investigation.

The baby was delivered in a plastic tub or pool in order to contain the afterbirth and amniotic fluid, the source said.

But soon after Berry's baby was born, panic ensued. The child stopped breathing, and everyone started screaming, the source said, citing accounts by the young women.

Knight said Castro threatened to kill her if the baby did not survive, the initial police report states.

The freeing of Amanda Berry and the other captives has special meaning for several families in BC including the families of .

Jesokah Adkens, 17, was last seen at a bus stop at Saseenos Elementary School on Sooke Road at about 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 26, 2001.

Four-year-old Michael Dunahee went missing on March 24, 1991 from a playground on Blanshard Street in Victoria

Emma Fillipoff, 26, a trained chef who disappeared from downtown Victoria November 28, 2012 and was reported as talking to people on Blanshard and Burdett streets a short time later, but by midnight, she was deemed missing.

There isn't much that gives the mothers of long-missing Vancouver Island children hope — but the escape of three young women held captive for about a decade in Cleveland is one of them.

Both Crystal Dunahee and Jocelan Adkens said the discovery of kidnapping victims held since their teens leaves open the possibility that Michael Dunahee, missing for 22 years, and Jesokah Adkens, missing for 12 years, might one day be found alive.

That's why Adkens has never left the Sooke home where Jesokah, then 17, lived until she was last seen at a bus stop at Saseenos Elementary School on Sooke Road at about 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 26, 2001.

"I've never moved — I always have visions of her walking down the driveway," said Adkens, whose daughter's 29th birthday was May 1.

Stories such as the Cleveland case help bolster the hope she still holds out, although "reality tells me otherwise," she said. "She's always on my mind anyway."

Dunahee, whose son Michael was only four when he disappeared from the playing field at Blanshard Elementary School on March 24, 1991 — leading to one of the largest police investigations in Canadian history — said she's happy for the families in Cleveland that have their children back. "They've got a long road to recovery, for sure."

The worst, she said, is the "not knowing, not having the answers."

Shelley Fillipoff, the Ontario-based mother of Emma Fillipoff, 26, a trained chef who disappeared from downtown Victoria last November, said she is "profoundly happy" for the families in Cleveland but saddened that one of their mothers did not live to see it. "I said to my best friend, 'She probably died of stress.' "

"I know what they would have been going through and after 10 years, I don't think you would ever expect to see your child," said Fillipoff, who spent about two months in Victoria hunting for Emma, and passing out posters to mail carriers, street cleaners and bus drivers.

"It sickens me to think that those girls were missing for 10 years and that nobody could find them." In the end, one of the young women, with the help of a neighbour who heard her cry for help, initiated the escape.

Knowing your neighbours well is one of the best crime-fighting tools, said Victoria Police Const. Mike Russell. "That can help solve more crime and prevent more crime than we can ever hope to do just as a department."

The smallest things lead to breaks in cases, he added, whether it's a missing person, someone storing stolen property or running a grow-op. "We get paid to come out and investigate these things. Don't be reluctant to call."

Investigators have had no further tips on Emma's disappearance, Russell said Tuesday.

Shelley arrived in Victoria Nov. 28 just a few hours after Emma spent 45 minutes talking to two police officers in a cruiser across from the Fairmont Empress Hotel. She walked away at 8 p.m. and was reported as talking to people on Blanshard and Burdett streets a short time later, but by midnight, she was deemed missing.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Discovery+missing+Cleveland+women+gives+hope+moms+Vancouver+Island+cases/8356668/story.html#ixzz2Spwm6dys

I really hate the media sometimes. Let it go, he did right this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Ramsey a convicted wife beater: Report

1297413260075_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

Charles Ramsey, the Cleveland man credited with helping Amanda Berry kick down her abductor's door, used to beat his wife and is a convicted felon, court records dug up by the Smoking Gun website show.

Ramsey's first conviction for domestic violence was in February 1997, he was found guilty a year later and was arrested again for domestic violence while awaiting sentencing, the documents show. He was also convicted of violating bail terms.

He was sentenced to six months in jail for for both domestic violence convictions.

Ramsey was again busted for domestic violence in 2003, was sentenced to a further eight months in prison and his wife filed for divorce.

None of the documents state what kind of injuries his wife suffered.

In the early 1990s, Ramsey served two one-year prison terms for drug abuse, trespassing and receiving stolen property, the Smoking Gun reports

Archived