The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where are we in the draft?

JohnLocke

Right now, we should have the 24th spot with Anaheim and Montreal out. To move up, we would need another division winner with more points than us to lose in the 2nd round. So that's pittsburgh and chicago.

The division winner thing throws a wrench into it. There is no clarity as we have 6 division winners yet spots for only five? According to http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=425557 we can finish no better than 23rd. Division winners that lose in the first two rounds get seeded 22nd to 26th.

Right now we pick 24th. If Pittsburgh or Chicago get knocked out before round three, then we advance a position for each.

Non playoff teams get the first 14 picks.

The order for the rest of the selections is set on playoff performance. The next seven spots go to teams that lose in the first two rounds based on regular-season points. WILD, ISLANDERS, BLUES (Boston/Toronto/NYR/LA/Ottawa/Detroit/San Jose)

The next five spots go to division winners that lost in the first two rounds, based on regular-season points. CANUCKS, DUCKS, HABS (Washington/Chicago/Pittsburgh)

Conference finalists select in the last 4 spots.

Does any one know how long Ron Delorme has been the head of Vancouver scouting. It seems like forever. It seems to parallel Vancouver's poor drafting record. I"m running around swinging my proverbial machete at Gillis and AV and totally forgot about the entire scouting department.

I remember Delorme back in the day, tough as nails, yet the Canucks only true enforcer with legend status was Gino! You'd think they would have come with one more heavy weight that stuck over all that time. I'm talking drafted heavy weight. Sorry, got of track.

I'm for gassing the scouting department too. When does one do that? Now or after the draft? That group must be worried too.

When do you fire a GM, before a draft and trust the new guy will choose right?

There are these little scenarios that pop up. Gillis and Co must be going crazy in their pickle.

This draft is going to be good. If Gillis retains his job he has to regain the public's trust by having a great draft. I think he'll have to trade for a pick and get another 1st rounder. This draft in many ways is make or break being this deep. He just can't screw this one up.

Right now we are drafting 19th overall. Only if Boston were to lose in game 7, we would move to 18th. The NYR/Wash series has no bearing on us as both of those teams finished below us in the regular season.

The 8 teams reaching the second round take the last 8 spots (23-30). The 14 teams failing to reach the playoffs take the first 14 spots (1-14) and order is decided through the lottery. The remaining middle 8 spots are given to the teams that are knocked out in the first round and their order is decided by their final league standing.

This isn't correct.

The best a divisional winner can pick is 21. Teams eliminated in rounds 1 and 2 pick 15-26, seeded by regular season points. Sorted by non divisional winners, then divisional winners. Canucks currently pick 24 because 2 divisional winners with better records have been eliminated.

/user/44025-aqua59/">aqua59

The scouts, amateur scouts ie those that draft amateur players such as Juniors ( for a number of posters who maybe don't understand this ) is headed by a dual team of Ron Delorme and Tomas Gradin. They then have a group of scouts situated across NA who report to them plus similar scouts in EU. The parameters I assume are set by MG. After that there are others assigned to the NCAA scouting ( Smyl ). In addition there are scouts that follow professional players and keep a record of most Pro players in case of a trade or including in as part of a package.

There has been some scouting changes over the years Barry Dean and Mario Marois were both let go.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/5/12/4323514/the-history-of-mike-gillis-tenure-with-the-canucks

here's the list of scouts

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86312

wrong... i explaned this in the other draft thread...

14 teams miss the playoffs. 8 teams are knocked out in the 1st round. those 8 teams are re-seeded according to the NHL overall standings.

since both StLouis and LA have better overall records, the Canucks can do no worse than pick #21. Every team thats above them in the overall standings that gets upset ( hopefully Mtl, Ana) moves the Canucks up a pick.

The best pick the Canucks can get is the 22nd pick. The only way this happens is if both Pits and Chicago get knocked out this round. The first 2 rounds are grouped together for sorting, and being a divisional winner matters.

So say both Pits and Chicago lose then it will go like this:

30-27th picks: 4 teams in the conf finals

26th: Chicago

25th: Pittsburgh

24th: Anahiem

23rd: Montreal

22nd: Vancouver

21st: Washington

Now if Pitts and Chicago both advance then the Canucks pick 24th, only one advances then they pick 23rd.

So our worst pick is 24th, our best pick is 22nd.

Gaunce and Jensen are not good enough for you?

Defensive player of the year and captain in the OHL, and top rookie scorer in the SEL.

I'd say there's lots of reasons to be excited about picking in the early 20's

Archived