The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lineup for 2013-2014

Lui's Knob

All this 'gutting' the team is unrealistic and if Gillis and co indeed stick around another year, will never happen.

Most of the core will be back because there's not much else available - but here's the major holes needing a full look yet again:

Sedin - Sedin - _______

Burrows - Kesler - _______

Higgins - ______ - Hansen

______ - ______ - Kassian

Garrison - Hamhuis

Bieksa - _____

Tanev - Alberts

?

Lack

Coaching Candidates (currently thin but will see how the rest of round 1 goes)

Arniel ( you know Gillis is going to look at him despite his record)

Gretzky (only because of his connection to Aquilini)

Habscheid

Boucher

Babcock * (if they lose round 1)

Blysma * (if they lose round 1)

Laviolette * (if fired)

Brent Sutter

Robbie Fedoruk

Lindy Ruff

Don Hay

GM Candidates (honestly this list is THIN, so I don't see Gillis being fired at all, even if he should)

Neil Smith

Pat Quinn

Brian Burke

Rick Dudley

Wayne Gretzky (see above)

Bob Nicholson (Hockey Canada)

Scott Neidermayer

Markus Naslund

Laurence Gilman

Coaching staff Needs:

- respected league coach

- creative special teams 'guru';

- retired and stanley cup winning former D-man

- A stats/video guy

- A touted off-ice /skills training coach

Exiting:

- Raymond, Sestito, Ebbett, Roy, Weise, Lapierre, Ballard, Booth, Pinizotto, Vandermeer, Joslin, Barker all gone (pretty much all plugs with ZERO impact to the team....reminds me of the 'Byron Ritchie' type players on the PP days of Crawford); I would say Kassian would be dumped but as long as Gillis is here, he'll never be dealt

Trade Chips:

- Edler (is the only d-man worth anything and from old core)

- Either (or both) Luongo and Schneider as trade bait (perhaps Luongo for a flurry of draft picks to retool; Schneider for a BONAFIDE top 3 scorer/Top 4 RHD)

Thoughts?

Give the young guys a shot. Schroeder, Gauce, Jensen, Corrado. we may have to with the cap situation anyways ;)

Use all the prospects we currently have, cause there is room for them.

Booth / Ballard / one goaltender / Raymond / Roy / -> gone, or should be gone.

sedins-kassian worked ok. give kassian a chance we will be surprised

burrows-kesler-jensen ... give jensen the shot, see what he can do

higgins - gauce - hansen ... not too impressed with higgins and hansen here, but maybe gauce could work magic (lol insane to think that)

Lapierre with 2 players who can actually play...

defense (here are 6 decent defensement anyways, these are wrong positions though)

edler/hamuis

bieksa/garrison

tanev/corrado

coach: I'd try Gretzky. why not? Usually a coach's second go-around is when he realizes his potential.

MG will remain as GM, I like AV but he will probably get fired.

Babcock * (if they lose round 1)

Blysma * (if they lose round 1)

Laviolette * (if fired)

I don't think that these 3 coaches will leave or get fired, I know Babcock has already said he will stay until his contract is up.

I would like to have either Lindy Ruff, Don Hay, or Guy Boucher as our next coach.

Lapierre and Edler are not going anywhere either.

I also hope Newell Brown and Rick Bowness get fired, those are useless now. If AV is getting fired, then bring in an all new coaching staff.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen? - Played awesome Gm4

Booth- Kesler-Higgins - Give Booth a chance, guys been a force when he played, struggled on scoresheet, but you can't deny he was exciting to watch.

? - Gaunce - Burrows - Maybe too soon, but we'll see how he performs in training camp, guy WILL be a stud.

Jensen - Lapierre - Kassian - I loved how in Jensen's first game he wasn't afraid to try some dangles, I could tell how he played that he would be exciting in the future

Garrison-Hamhuis - Awesome shutdown pair

Bieksa-Tanev - Great shutdown physical pair

Alberts-Corrado - Loved Alberts this yr, played awesome, wouldn't mind him being a full-time Top-6 defenceman.

This would also make Edler expandable. Not saying he was horrible, but for the cap space and we could get some offensive firepower. Imagine the return!

You can slot Burrows and Higgins/Booth switching up once in a while, same with Kassian/Hansen. Depends on who'd be 3rd line LW. Thoughts?

If you want to get real crazy (won't happen but would really shake up the line up as we know it)!:

insert name- insert name- insert name

sedin-sedin-kassian

burrows-kesler-higgins

insert name- insert name- Hansen

Garrison-Hamhuis

Bieksa-Tanev

insert name- Corrado

Insert name

Schnieder

Insert name

Why is Gretzky on the table? Is there some rumour I'm missin? Nevermind

I'm taking no guesses. The change in team all depends on whether the GM goes, and I'm not sure on that. I think it's all but certain AV goes and I think Ruff is the likely replacement.

We're gonna need to slot some rookies into the lineup, and shift money from the D to the forwards IMO.

These are the holes I see now:

Sedin Sedin Blank

Burrows Kesler Blank

Higgins Blank Hansen

Blank Lapierre Blank

I think Lapierre definitely gets re-signed. And I think we need to get a big name player to play with the Sedins like a Shane Doan. Or we need to get a really good second line right winger.

At least of couple of the holes will need to be filled by players like Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, or Gaunce.

I think putting the Sedins on the second line would take a lot of pressure off of them to produce points

???? - Kesler - ????

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - ???? - Burrows

???? - Lapierre - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

???? - Tanev

Schneider/Luongo

Lack

Build around Kesler

Sedin-Sedin-

-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins--Hansen

-Lapierre-

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado

Schneider/Luongo

-

Our top 6 could use maybe 1 or 2 new players, I would prefer to have 2 fresh faces. The bottom 6 could use a revamping outside of Higgins, Hansen, and Lapierre.

I like that we have 3 solid left side D-men and 3 pretty good ones on the right side. Maybe bring in another right side D-man either an OFD or DFD, we don't need another TWD.

Trade one of our goalies for a return of draft picks and a top 6 forward.

Trade Ballard, Booth, and don't re-sign any UFA'S except for Lapierre.

Sign a back-up goaltender, a solid back-up goaltender.

Add some youth possibly to the forward group, maybe a young 3rd line centre and a young 2nd line winger. Our D has two young guys who can step up.

Kassian, already to starting to show a lot of promise playing with the twins. will be given the summer to train to be "that guy" that we need him to be.

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian

------ / Kesler / Burrows

Higgins / ------ / Hansen

------ / Lapierre / ---------

Bieksa / Hamhuis

Garrison / Edler

------ / Tanev

Corrado

Luongo

-Yes, Luongo. Our window is closing fast, and Schneider can fetch much more than what Luongo can. Schneider can get us that legitimate top 6, 55-60 pts winger we need.

-We still need a Steve Ott- esque 3rd line center.

-We need a real 4th line that can actually plug minutes

-We need a 6th defencemen that can plug minutes and not be useless.

In: 2nd line winger, 3rd line centre, two 4th line wingers

Out: Raymond, Ballard, Booth, Luongo

Sedin Sedin Kassian (keep this line together.. ffs.. let them develop chemistry and get them prepared for playoffs)

Booth/Jensen Kesler Burrows (in the case Booth doesn't get shipped, Jensen will step in, Burrows will play set-up man from playing with Sedins for so many years)

Higgins - ________ - Hansen (this spot is Schroeder's to lose, I wouldn't mind giving Gaunce a shot .. no more than 9 games unless he thrives)

_______ - Lappy - Weise (I hope both these players get re-signed... this has been the best fourth liners we've had in a loooong while and we should keep it that way)

Hamhuis Bieksa (Bieksa offensive, Hamhuis defensive.. this will be our shutdown pair)

Edler Tanev ( Tanev will be the safety net for Edler, Tanev is no Salo, but his calm, steady, defensive plays should let Edler play more relaxed and freely )

Garrison Corrado (Garrison on third paring?? yes that's right, because this way we can save him for our PP unit, plus this will put Garrison back on his comfort side, and having him mentoring Corrado will do nothing but good for this kid)

Schneider

some back up

getting rid of Luongo and Ballard will free up 9m... and this should be sufficient enough for us to sign all the players we need for this roster next year... honestly, we have good personnel.. all of them are still in their prime... there's no way we should've been swept in first round like this

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Jensen

Booth-Weiss-Hansen

Higgins-Schroeder-Larose

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Schneider

Lack

Luongo traded for picks/prospects, Ballard traded for prospects/picks, Raymond runs free to the East where he belongs, Lapierre's gone, Weise is the extra forward.

Archived