The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don Cherry Calls Mike Gillis "Gutless", defends AV

BureisBest

Regardless of whose 'fault' it is, I think it's best if both are let go. It's time for a regime change, and both have contributed to the mess we're in. But Cherry is right in that the goalie situation is mainly on Gillis... Gillis couldn't pull the trigger when he could've gotten assets for either goalie. Can you imagine if we got Kadri like we could've last year? But no, Gillis turned down Kadri, Bozak and a 1st. And Schneider would've fetched a ton, but now his value's gone down. Gillis couldn't bring himself to sell high for either goalie and now the stocks have dropped. What happened to "bold moves"?

You can blame Vigneault for other things, but not the goalie situation. Whoever you think should've started when, it wouldn't have been a problem for him if Gillis had made a deal.

Don Cherry is absolutely, 100%, correct in his comments toward Gillis.

Who signed Luongo to the face-of-the-fanchise contract? Gillis did.

Who let a back-up, after 3 playoff games, all of a sudden become the starter? Gillis did.

Who signed Schneider to starter type money? Gillis did.

Who let the entire situation get so overblown and didn't pull the trigger on ANY deal? Gillis did.

Gillis has treated Luongo (the guy who HE signed to be the franchise' goaltender, a Vezina nominee, an Olympic Gold medalist, and the guy who has carried this team through the last 7 years) like absolute crap the last year. It is absolutely disgraceful, and I am absolutely disgusted at how Luongo has been treated.

Cory Schneider (the backup) should NEVER have been given the sniff of overthrowing Luongo as the starter. We knew for YEARS Schneider was being groomed to get traded and fetch us a great return. But the fact that Gillis allowed this whole situation to escalate 100% represents what Don Cherry has said.

I have been, and am still, incredibly disgusted at how Luongo has gotten run out of town by our management.

Management has singlehandedly ruined my love for this team this year. I hope it comes back, and I hope the proper heads roll.

Squire Barnes put it best tonight on the news.....Gillis inherited a really good team...did a good job putting in a supporting cast that made them a great team that got to the finals... and then when we needed a little tweak he blew up the supporting cast and sent guys packing we havent been the same since .. and has made some terrible trades and terrible non trades like w.e. was offered for Luongo befor the season has to be better then what we are going to get for him now. the whole goalie things cant be put on MG sure the unable to trade him thing is ... but Luongo got us to this point schnieder isnt an elite but hes outplayed luongo the last 2 years so what does that make luongo? a goalie thats not worth his contract ... Cory taking over number 1 isnt just a result of him playing great but also luongos play slipping ... if luongo doesnt get outplayed by his back up we wouldnt be in this mess.

Have to agree with him. We had, what, 14mil sitting during the playoffs? Shows me that we have a GM who can't utilize his cap space correctly. Grapes is bang on. Gillis has been gutless dice the day he got here. Bold moves Gillis? All in? Where? Safe moves or completely bizarre moves has and will be MG's legacy here.

Cherry pretty much hit the nail on the head, especially in regards to Schneider. If it's between AV or MG staying, I'd 10x rather see MG be the one to go. I like AV, he's a good coach, I haven't liked what he's done most of this season though.

Two good goalies, one coming into his prime the other starting to fade. Of course Don would chose the latter, especially since he can't pronounce Luongo's name. He has no idea what's happening with the Canucks.

How MG handled the Luongo trade is embarrassing as a Canuck fan. He made up stories like he was talking to 'multiple' teams and had an angreement with another team but was just waiting on the player BS. Im also tired of his snobby act whenever he's interviewed on the team1040 regarding an update on the Luongo deal.

Have to agree everything about Gillis and the goalie situation, but do agree it is time for a new coach.

Gillis is gutless...didn't have the grapefruits to trade Lu or make the deal for Schneider as Don said would have gotten us a small fortune

Archived