The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the Sedin's want a cup bad enough?......

dman34

....to re-sign in Vancouver for second line dollars?

Let's face it, these guys are no longer on an uptrend. Great players, yes, steady and effective during the regular season, definitely, but it seems like when the playoffs roll around for the last two years now, they just do not seem to match up well against top pairing defenceman.

They were completely held off the scoresheet for the first 2 games of the series. When your first line is shutdown you're just not going to win many games. Especially when the likes of Chris Higgins and Mason Raymond are your second line wingers and next in line snipers after Ryan Kesler.

The Sedin's have given every indication that they want to end their careers in Vancouver. I can't see another contender whom they'd like to sign with clearing 10-12 million in cap space to take these guys on as a package deal (which is the only way they'll play).

I believe this creates an opportunity to re-sign them at second line money and completely re-vamp our top line. They seem like they really want to win, they're team first players and their hearts are in Vancouver. I wonder if they'll present this option to the Canucks to hopefully finish their careers as Champions and finally bring a cup to the city of Vancouver?

The Brothers could just as easily retire after this next year and spend a few years playing for Modo.

For highly skilled,world class players being forced to endure playoff rugby on skates in their mid-thirties must become very unattractive.

The brothers and their wives may want to go home for a few years and acquaint their children with 'home'.

If I were them that is exactly what I would do.Gillis or whomever becomes GM may have to recreate a SC contender within months for them to consider staying here beyond the end of this contract.

While I will agree their playoff this year was simply not good enough I don't agree it has been two years. Henrik was arguably the best Canuck against the Kings leaving it all on the ice last year despite missing his brother for much of the series.

We need a better second line to take some pressure off them. The best option would be a 1 and 1A that play almost the same amount of time.

I could definitely see them take even less money if presented a plan that improved the team. They have been pretty selfless to date.

The Brothers could just as easily retire after this next year and spend a few years playing for Modo.

For highly skilled,world class players being forced to endure playoff rugby on skates in their mid-thirties must become very unattractive.

The brothers and their wives may want to go home for a few years and acquaint their children with 'home'.

If I were them that is exactly what I would do.Gillis or whomever becomes GM may have to recreate a SC contender within months for them to consider staying here beyond the end of this contract.

I could see them taking less money if we promise to get them some scoring support. They have been our offensive engine for years, but they can't do it alone. These guys are pure class, and took less than they could have with their last contracts.

They're trending downwards, but they're still first line players and we don't exactly have a couple of those sitting around. Also factor in that we'd have to overpay in order to obtain first line players through trades of free agency.

Best case scenario is that they re-sign with us, we dump a few contracts, and pick up a couple guys who can help put the puck in the net. We don't have anyone ready to take over their first line duties just yet.

Double edged sword is what explains their struggle in playoffs:

On one side you have no support that forces opposition to focus on something other than the Sedins.

On the other side the Sedins did not even require focus from opposition in the playoffs this season.

Failure on both sides and management. We need to get them more support. They need to show up. I think they resign at 4-5 million a season. That is 8-10 million in cap for 2 players but worth it. You cant let them finish their NHL career elsewhere.

I can't really wrap my head around how we doubt the players on our team for "not wanting a cup badly enough" or lacking heart. I feel a lot of times, players do pour their heart and souls into the game -- it takes tremendous dedication to even be playing in the NHL -- but they just get shut down due to less-than-par coaching, lack of momentum (maybe, as some have mentioned, playing with others who aren't as skilled or complementary to them), and etc. etc.

The Sedins have proven to us that they do want a cup. They want one more than any peanut-crunching fan watching TV, and the Sedins know they're good enough to be champions. One can argue that they've gotten stale and teams have figured them out -- sure, but they're still the face of our team -- more so than Luongo or Schneider, or anybody.

And if they do re-sign here, it means that they haven't given up on us yet. It means they still think Vancouver can be home to Stanley Cup Champions. So I don't think we should throw them under the bus.

I expect them to retire here. I feel privileged to be able to witness a pair of twins play excellent hockey, and even luckier that they're on this team. Even if they never bring a cup to Vancouver, falling one game short in the finals is still better than never making the playoffs.

Double edged sword is what explains their struggle in playoffs:

On one side you have no support that forces opposition to focus on something other than the Sedins.

On the other side the Sedins did not even require focus from opposition in the playoffs this season.

Failure on both sides and management. We need to get them more support. They need to show up. I think they resign at 4-5 million a season. That is 8-10 million in cap for 2 players but worth it. You cant let them finish their NHL career elsewhere.

I can't really wrap my head around how we doubt the players on our team for "not wanting a cup badly enough" or lacking heart. I feel a lot of times, players do pour their heart and souls into the game -- it takes tremendous dedication to even be playing in the NHL -- but they just get shut down due to less-than-par coaching, lack of momentum (maybe, as some have mentioned, playing with others who aren't as skilled or complementary to them), and etc. etc.

The Sedins have proven to us that they do want a cup. They want one more than any peanut-crunching fan watching TV, and the Sedins know they're good enough to be champions. One can argue that they've gotten stale and teams have figured them out -- sure, but they're still the face of our team -- more so than Luongo or Schneider, or anybody.

And if they do re-sign here, it means that they haven't given up on us yet. It means they still think Vancouver can be home to Stanley Cup Champions. So I don't think we should throw them under the bus.

I expect them to retire here. I feel privileged to be able to witness a pair of twins play excellent hockey, and even luckier that they're on this team. Even if they never bring a cup to Vancouver, falling one game short in the finals is still better than never making the playoffs.

They are one of the main reasons we aren't a Stanley Cup contender: because our captain and two/thirds of our top line decide to mail it in in the playoffs every year.

They might as well go back to Modo, because they sure as heck didn't show up at Rogers Arena come playoff time this year, or last, or the year before.

Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. It would really depend on if they'd be will to go to another team, and what Vancouver was offered. Honestly, if Florida offered Huberdeau and their 2nd overall pick, you'd just shoot that offer down?

I'd like to see an on the fly revamp (rebuild) but if we really want a Stanley Cup, we need a youthful core to build around. It might be possible to keep Burr and the Twins and trade other players to get better pieces. But shouldn't we look at any option to make sure we get the right mix and the best chance of winning the cup now and for the future?

Its not only the past two years, its been like that in the playoffs for them aince they became 1st liners. Great regular season, poor playoffs. They don't get as many points as they should be in the playoffs and what's scary is that their plus minus has been minus for the past 5 years in the playoffs, even during the 2011 run when all season long they've been plus players

Its not only the past two years, its been like that in the playoffs for them aince they became 1st liners. Great regular season, poor playoffs. They don't get as many points as they should be in the playoffs and what's scary is that their plus minus has been minus for the past 5 years in the playoffs, even during the 2011 run when all season long they've been plus players

Think about how glorious it would be to have them on the second line:

Trade/exit: Schneider, Booth, Raymond, Ballard, Sestito, Ebbett, Roy

???? - Kesler - ????

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - ???? - Hansen

Weiss - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

???? - Tanev

Luongo

Lack

That would leave 4 holes to be filled via trade material or AHL call up (for a bottom pair defenceman) and the Sedins take a pay cut

And yes, the Sedins want the cup bad! They'd have a much better chance to help produce in the playoffs if they were on the second line with Kesler (who imo plays better than the Sedins against shutdown opponents.) and his high powered linemates taking the heat off them.

If they honestly want to resign at $6 million/year after this year at 34, 35 or 36 years old (i forget) then forget that from my point. Sign and trade. They are on a decline and dont remotely deserve that amount of money if their game continues to decline.

Archived