Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Do the Sedin's want a cup bad enough?......

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#91 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yup.

From Jim's comments, he made it sound like there was some kind of common wisdom/easy as pie approach used by a number of players to routinely beat Chara. So I was curious as to whether or not I'd missed a "Coach's Corner" rant by Cherry on how easy Chara is to beat.

regards,
G.

Toronto seemed to get it done. You do have eyes, right?
Maybe I should have used Lupul. Kessel and Lupul were always buzzing around Chara and the net... at least they were in the Bruins end. Either way, the Sedins shrunk from the Bruins, especially Chara. The whole world saw and still talks of it.

To be debating this, in any way, is so CDC.

Do the Sedins want the cup bad enough? No. They are unwilling to do all the little things, battle-wise, that win you tough games in the playoffs. There is no contesting this, none. Fanboys unite if you want, this is the truth.

Our core is soft-core, yet, wears a C. I think it is no small coincidence that the Canucks have a reputation as soft, though Gillis has recently signed some muscle, too bad it is not muscle that can play on the top 6 or log big minutes on D.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#92 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Don't confuse people with the facts "Nuck nit". These are the same clowns that call them the "sisters' and don't realize how strong and tough these guys are to put up with the crap they do.

Sadly, this is our culture today, left.
Praise the bullied kids who din't fight back against the Bruins midget pest. Look how tough he is, what character, what leadership!
"Sisters" is apt, at times.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#93 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Maybe I should have used Lupul. Kessel and Lupul were always buzzing around Chara and the net... at least they were in the Bruins end. Either way, the Sedins shrunk from the Bruins, especially Chara. The whole world saw and still talks of it.

Do the Sedins want the cup bad enough? No. They are unwilling to do all the little things, battle-wise, that win you tough games in the playoffs. There is no contesting this, none. Fanboys unite if you want, this is the truth.

Our core is soft-core, yet, wears a C. I think it is no small coincidence that the Canucks have a reputation as soft, though Gillis has recently signed some muscle, too bad it is not muscle that can play on the top 6 or log big minutes on D.

That's right Jim because your opinion is fact and to debate that is silly. That logic, in all it's glorious ridiculousness, is so you.

Also Toronto didn't really get that done and comparing a series in the finals to a series in the first round is something I would expect you to be smart enough to know the difference between. You're always so busy "being right" Jim that it really hurts your actual argument.

I like Kessel and Lupul; I even like the Maple Leafs and I agree that they have a gritty style but this constant trashing of Canucks players is getting tired and old. Frankly Jim it makes you look immature and ignorant. It would be nice to get bigger and tougher in the top 6 but that doesn't mean you have to trash the Sedins every chance you get.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 09 June 2013 - 09:42 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#94 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

It is all about how you play the game and how you win... or lose.
But we seem to lose in such cowardly ways that are not Canadian hockey inspired. This is why the hockey world hates this team.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#95 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Praise the bullied kids who din't fight back against the Bruins midget pest. Look how tough he is, what character, what leadership!

Such a donkey,
Posted Image
Posted Image

#96 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

That's right Jim because your opinion is fact and to debate that is silly. That logic, in all it's glorious ridiculousness, is so you.

Also Toronto didn't really get that done and comparing a series in the finals to a series in the first round is something I would expect you to be smart enough to know the difference between. You're always so busy "being right" Jim that it really hurts your actual argument.

you were watching too, right?
Comparing the efforts/results of your beloved Sedins against Chara to the Leaf players is not allowed, I know.
Do you live on here? This thread was dead, I posted and you were in here within seconds. Get help.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#97 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Such a donkey,

haha, ya. great post! See you in your dreams...
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#98 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

you were watching too, right?
Comparing the efforts/results of your beloved Sedins against Chara to the Leaf players is not allowed, I know.
Do you live on here? This thread was dead, I posted and you were in here within seconds. Get help.

I happened to login Jim. You're just lucky I guess but I know how much you hate to be questioned because it shows why and where you are wrong.

Also yes I watched and yes you're still immature and ignorant because you can't seem to say anything without your tired path of least resistance lazy Sedin bashing BS.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#99 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

It is a proven fact that Gretzky captained all those Cup teams with such bravery .. Jim Lahey, the last of the Scotch Creek Heroes .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#100 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

I happened to login Jim.

sure, sure
not the first time, huh.
how much time do you spend on here? online? get help.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#101 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

im sure the sedins want the cup as much as the next player they are just unable to do what it takes...

#102 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

It is a proven fact that Gretzky captained all those Cup teams with such bravery

of course...
Gretzky to a Sedin now... Should I be suprised?
Well done guys.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#103 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

POPULAR

sure, sure
not the first time, huh.
how much time do you spend on here? online? get help.

Pretty transparent here Jim. You Lahey sisters are too weak to actual argue your point so you try to slink around it so you don't have to show how pansy you are. That's how it's done right Jim?

So to the actual discussion if you're willing to have it. Kamloops air is probably thick today which is making you cranky but try to keep up. Why is it that you feel the need to constantly trash the Sedins? I get and agree that this team needs to be tougher and grittier so that's neither here nor there I just want to know what is it that makes you so insecure about your opinion that you also have to constantly throw in the little jabs at them? Why not the Canadian boys who also couldn't get it done against Chara?

Edit: You can take the sissy euro way out of this if you want jom and just make another silly comment about me living on here or some other nonsense and I'll let you out of the discussion and not respond here and now. Or you can be a man and actually defend your comments and opinions.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 09 June 2013 - 10:01 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#104 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

The older they get the more they are looking to pass. This has me wondering if logically they should be on the same line. Sure play them together on the power play, but 5 on 5 they should be on different lines. Why have two of the best play making passers in the league feeding one guy, when you could have both of them feeding two guys each on separate lines. My belief is that if they are gonna play after their current contracts expire, they may have to adjust this way.
Then we can shift to a true......roll 4 line kind of game. Our top line players might even get to the playoffs healthy instead of beat up.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#105 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Who is leading the scoring race?

That Czech guy,Krejci.

That other Czech player,Jagr,is looking like he wants a cup at 41 years of age.Point per game playoff performer over 17 post seasons.

Soderberg,Seidenberg,Chara and Rask.

Look like winners to me.

#106 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

The older they get the more they are looking to pass. This has me wondering if logically they should be on the same line. Sure play them together on the power play, but 5 on 5 they should be on different lines. Why have two of the best play making passers in the league feeding one guy, when you could have both of them feeding two guys each on separate lines. My belief is that if they are gonna play after their current contracts expire, they may have to adjust this way.
Then we can shift to a true......roll 4 line kind of game. Our top line players might even get to the playoffs healthy instead of beat up.

I would love to see
D. Sedin - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - H Sedin - Kassian

I thought Henriks season looked kind of average for him but Dan certainly looked like he had taken a downward turn. One season isn't enough to judge if this is him on his way down yet but I think it's enough to try separating them for at least a chunk of the season to see about some new chemistry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#107 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

I would love to see
D. Sedin - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - H Sedin - Kassian

I thought Henriks season looked kind of average for him but Dan certainly looked like he had taken a downward turn. One season isn't enough to judge if this is him on his way down yet but I think it's enough to try separating them for at least a chunk of the season to see about some new chemistry.

One thing that has always cheesed me off is the fact that playing them together screws with structure of our lines. Instead of having toughness/speed/scoring guys on each line(a more balanced approach). We have scoring on one line, speed on another toughness on another. This makes it easy to play matchups and defend against. Having all your toughness on a forth line that never sees the ice, is a waste of capp space, and does nothing to protect our top players. Plus it's way harder to defend against because the opposition has to spread their shut down guys out, instead of putting them all on one line against the Sedins.
Posted Image

#108 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I love Mango's but the Canucks have but one 'tough' guy that can play above line 4 and he does not have the skill set of the Sedins,never mind Kesler or Booth.

#109 spook007

spook007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

yes the Sedins and I want a cup for the canucks very badly but like me, they are not capable to do anything about it. As soon as I saw them start diving in the playoffs I knew what kind of players they really were.

So what did/do you want the Sedins to do??? Drop the gloves when they get smacked in the face, crosschecked hooked etc.? Or just accept it and be injured most of the play offs??? Don't see Toews or Kane or Hossa fighting it out and they dive even more than the Sedins, so guess they don't want a cup neither...oh yes they already got one playing like that... :picard:

#110 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I love Mango's but the Canucks have but one 'tough' guy that can play above line 4 and he does not have the skill set of the Sedins,never mind Kesler or Booth.

The Sedins are supposed to be superstars......they are supposed to make players around them better, not the other way around, and I agree with you about the skills of our tough guys. But, player development doesn't stop when you get to the NHL. None of the guys we pick up ever benefit from playing with our best players because they never play together. This is the teams biggest issue moving forward is that we never take chances, from a coaching stand point. Just look at the Kassian situation, the guy played pretty well with the top line, makes a couple of defensive mistakes and never gets another shot. Nobody ever got anywhere playing it safe. I would rather squeak into the play-offs in 8th place than win the presidents cup, if it means the team can GROW into a well balanced team. Take chances in the regular season, not wait until it's too late in the play-offs.
Posted Image

#111 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,637 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Jim, Toronto was permitted to fight back. The Sedins got ordered out of scrums or sent to the box when they did try to battle it out....you can't deny that their game has changed to that of more of an edge. They're not fighters - big deal? Doesn't mean they didn't assert themselves for the puck and battle hard on the boards - they certainly did.

The Bruins-Leafs series had nearly half a dozen entire periods with no calls being made...they were allowed to play in a "put the whistles away" deal. Games 6-7 had 4 periods with no penalties being called! These are intense games we're talking about here, yet the Leafs could dish it out as well as take it. Our deal was take it or you're going to the box and the message was clear: "nope, none of that stuff". It's playoff hockey for crying out loud.

In a 7 game series between the Leafs/Bruins: 60 penalites
Between the Canucks/Bruins: 97

So there obviously was more of an allowance to let the teams settle it out on the ice in the Leafs-Bruins series.

We're talking well timed penalties, where we'd generate some momentum and get called for something marginal at best. The entire flow of a game is disrupted and that plays into the Bruins favour. Our team plays best when they can get rolling/flying, NOT in scrums and with stoppages in play - but that's how it went down.

I believe that not only did it pull the guys off their game in frustration, but it handcuffed them in a "how do we respond" way? Sure, by scoring - but Thomas was also lights out and they had an air of cockiness about them in a "we've got this" way. They still do.

They are a great team- I won't deny that. They're a great, dirty team that gets away with things that they shouldn't at times. That gets the calls at opportune times that can become turning points when momentum is being generated and is quickly halted/shifts in their favour.

It's becoming more and more evident and it's not just the Canucks that have dealt with it - the Pens didn't fare too well either against the league's bad boys.

Toronto got it done? Last time I checked, they lost to the Big Bad Bruins too, as did the Pens. I guess their players are all soft too Jim? Get off the Sedins' case...any team in the league would snap them up if they became available...there's a reason for that. Yeah, they're not goons, so is that all there is to it? Bruins have a Father overseeing the league and a 9'5" tree that helps block the net. So yeah, teams have to be creative to try to work around that. Sedins have ensured we've been in the mix with the likes of the Bruins, Blackhawks and Kings....all teams that went on to win the cup. They're not that soft, or we wouldn't even be sniffing 'round the finals as we do.

Posted Image

#112 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think it's impossible for them to want it as much as a north american born player. Just basic human nature.

Stupid logic. Thanks for showing up.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#113 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,637 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

No, not at all...Henrik only has a 600+ iron man streak for no apparent reason..

fD9sila.jpg
^^Salter^^

#114 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Praise the bullied kids who din't fight back against the Bruins midget pest.

Sadly,society still produces troglodytes such as the Jim Lahey's of our world.
They praise the bullies while denigrating those that refuse agitation or cheap,dirty play as their 'skill set'.
Some hockey fans still think hockey players that are punching and spitting and tripping and slashing their opponents are what everybody would like to see in the game.

#115 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Toronto did seem to (almost) get it done. They seemed to (almost) get it done more often than not while Chara was not on the ice.

Lupul scored twice in game 2 (with Chara in the box and Chara on the bench), and once in game 4 while Chara was on the ice, but it could hardly be called anything like Lupul went through Chara to get the goal.

van Riemsdyk would likely have been your best choice of a Toronto player who played a physical style and scored (some). He did a fairly good job on the first goal of the series where he was battling Chara.

Toronto (almost) got it done by playing a very agressive, defensive game, not by "going through" Chara. In their three wins, the Leafs outscored Boston 8 - 4. They were outscored 18 - 10 in the four games they lost.

The suggestion was that the Sedins wouldn't go through Chara. I can't say that I saw a lot of that from the entire Leafs team. Did the Leafs play a hard and physical series? Sure. Did they do it by going through Chara? Once again, no. In that series, Chara maybe had one bad game. Otherwise, he finished something like +6, better than anyone on the Leafs team.

Could the Canucks be "tougher"? Sure. Do the Sedins have to be the ones to supply that toughness? No.

regards,
G.

PS - Jim, I do have eyes. However, are you suggesting that I should have used them to watch the games? I actually haven't.

This is interesting as, from reading your posts over the past few months, it seemed like you haven't watched any games either, and yet were still on here making comments, so I figured it wasn't necessary.

Do you believe it would be helpful?
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#116 spook007

spook007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Jim, Toronto was permitted to fight back. The Sedins got ordered out of scrums or sent to the box when they did try to battle it out....you can't deny that their game has changed to that of more of an edge. They're not fighters - big deal? Doesn't mean they didn't assert themselves for the puck and battle hard on the boards - they certainly did.

The Bruins-Leafs series had nearly half a dozen entire periods with no calls being made...they were allowed to play in a "put the whistles away" deal. Games 6-7 had 4 periods with no penalties being called! These are intense games we're talking about here, yet the Leafs could dish it out as well as take it. Our deal was take it or you're going to the box and the message was clear: "nope, none of that stuff". It's playoff hockey for crying out loud.

In a 7 game series between the Leafs/Bruins: 60 penalites
Between the Canucks/Bruins: 97

So there obviously was more of an allowance to let the teams settle it out on the ice in the Leafs-Bruins series.

We're talking well timed penalties, where we'd generate some momentum and get called for something marginal at best. The entire flow of a game is disrupted and that plays into the Bruins favour. Our team plays best when they can get rolling/flying, NOT in scrums and with stoppages in play - but that's how it went down.

I believe that not only did it pull the guys off their game in frustration, but it handcuffed them in a "how do we respond" way? Sure, by scoring - but Thomas was also lights out and they had an air of cockiness about them in a "we've got this" way. They still do.

They are a great team- I won't deny that. They're a great, dirty team that gets away with things that they shouldn't at times. That gets the calls at opportune times that can become turning points when momentum is being generated and is quickly halted/shifts in their favour.

It's becoming more and more evident and it's not just the Canucks that have dealt with it - the Pens didn't fare too well either against the league's bad boys.

Toronto got it done? Last time I checked, they lost to the Big Bad Bruins too, as did the Pens. I guess their players are all soft too Jim? Get off the Sedins' case...any team in the league would snap them up if they became available...there's a reason for that. Yeah, they're not goons, so is that all there is to it? Bruins have a Father overseeing the league and a 9'5" tree that helps block the net. So yeah, teams have to be creative to try to work around that. Sedins have ensured we've been in the mix with the likes of the Bruins, Blackhawks and Kings....all teams that went on to win the cup. They're not that soft, or we wouldn't even be sniffing 'round the finals as we do.

This...Brilliant...

#117 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

of course...
Gretzky to a Sedin now... Should I be suprised?
Well done guys.

Why am I not surprised that you missed the point? ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#118 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

the sedins are not skilled enough to be 2/3rds of a cup winning top line.... sure they have fancy passes but the main skill a skilled line needs to posses to beat the tough teams is speed and they dont have it at all... the reason burrows is so good with them is he is so fast in the offensive zone he gets to the loose puck fast and gets the cycle going and is quick enough in the cycle to make things happen but 2/3rds of the line is slow... and putting kassian on the line makes them slower.. skilled players are fast .. can read the play and they dont pass the puck when they get a grade A scoring chance... sedins have 1 thing better than most of the league and thats chemistry and thats only when they have time and space.. in the playoffs, time and space is limited and sedins go back to looking like average players.

#119 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

the sedins are not skilled enough to be 2/3rds of a cup winning top line....

They both have Art Ross trophies, and have been league MVP and NHLPA MVP respectively.

They also played in a Game 7 in the SCF.

You could make a 20 minute highlight reel of Henrik's insane passes alone.

Give your head a shake man, Jesus Christ.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.