The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

I wasn't saying that he was overpaid, just appropriatly paid. Highlighting the difference between his situation and Bure's. I'm not here to bash Lu so please stop taking offense. Also, Erhoff had nothing to do with anything, why did you bring him up?

He also comes out and says "i didn't get it done" when he messes up. it took Lou 7 years and a kid behind him saying that before he ever admitted he didn't play well. Always, the boys weren't picking up players etc before Schnieds came along.

Schnieder comes out and says I can't let in more than 2 if we're going to win...I want that mentality in the net. I think this process will help schnieds going forward because he's seen the pressure now, he's seen what has been certainly unfair the level of criticism Lou has taken, sometimes right, sometimes wrong but certainly the level has been too unfair.

I also think the fans realized this playoffs that its a team thing, and less of a goalie issue. Either goalie can lead us to a cup with a good team in front of it, issue is the good team...changes coming, Lou is gone and MG said it ' Can you see a situation where Lou is back next year ' MG "Highly unlikely"....

New chapter....Schnieds, please move Bieksa, Ballard, let Roy and Ray go, trade booth for a 4th rounder and move on.

Luongo makes less than quite a few goalies... what are u talking about?? 5.3 cap hit.

Okay I know he made 10 mill a few seasons but that doesn't impact the team at all... ffs ERHOFF made ten million with the sabers too

To add,

While MG has fumbled the Lou issue, it actually has worked out in his favour.

1. Schnieds was hurt, Lou played very well/outstanding. Teams will remember that as they are looking for a goalie. While having him as insurance didnt win us anything, it raised his value and felt better than having Cannatta in net.

2. Toronto is in need of a goalie now and will need to admit it. Nonis could do no wrong this year because his team made the playoffs and was in a position to do so at the deadline. Leaf fans have had 9 years of no playoffs making it in was all that mattered. Now that they have, expectations will start in a city where it costs 300 bucks face for a first round playoff game in the lower bowl. Reimer has let in 4, 2, 5, 4 in 4 games. Not stanley cup goaltending. They lack veterans. Lou makes absolute sense for this team now, maybe they take a run at lesser haves (Miller, etc) but if they want the best bet, Lou is their man.

3. Islanders made the playoffs, same issue as above, moving to Brooklyn, will need to compete with rangers for fans. Timing couldn't be better for them to get a veteran goalie with enough left in the tank for their next 4-5 years as they make a push with a talented young team. I see a good deal here being made with Booth or Higgins, Ballard and Lou. Sounds like castoffs but veterans on a young team that fill voids. They are losing alot of dmen to age and ufa's, they have few veteran wingers. Nabakov is in his 40's, and they could use a veteran winger that can still play. Great trading partner for the Canucks as they have a ton of talented youth.

4. Philly will dump Bryz, its coming plain as day.

5. Fla can argue all they want about Markstrom, he's proven nothign and they know it. Moreover, his play at the end of the year has to worry the team 8 wins 14 losses, 3.22 gaa and .901 save % that is not an NHL goalie yet. Bringing in Lou (Markstrom is only 23) gives him 3-4 years to mature behind a talent, like Schnieds did, and when Lou is aging they switch roles and Markstrom is only 27/28....great win for both sides...no brainer here as well.

6. Buffalo - Miller is clearly moving

End of the day MG muddled it, but it seems to have worked in his favour. Don't be surprised if we get alot more than people expect for Lou now...that bidding war may just start after all bc of Serendipty and nothing else...

Cap hit is not the same as what he's actually paid. Take the total dollars of contract divide by how many years he actually plays through the contract and that's the avg pay per season. In the new Cba its going to be hard to trick people like you in thinking Lu is only being paid 5.3

To add,

While MG has fumbled the Lou issue, it actually has worked out in his favour.

1. Schnieds was hurt, Lou played very well/outstanding. Teams will remember that as they are looking for a goalie.

2. Toronto is in need of a goalie now and will need to admit it. Nonis could do no wrong this year because his team made the playoffs and was in a position to do so at the deadline. Leaf fans have had 9 years of no playoffs making it in was all that mattered. Now that they have, expectations start in this city where it costs 300 bucks face for a first round playoff game in the lower bowl. Reimer has let in 4, 2, 5, 4 in 4 games. Not stanley cup goaltending. They lack veterans. Lou makes absolute sense for this team now, maybe they take a run at lesser haves (Miller, etc) but if they want the best bet, Lou is their man.

3. Islanders made the playoffs, same issue as above, moving to Brooklyn, will need to compete with rangers for fans. Timing couldn't be better for them to get a veteran goalie with enough left in the tank for their next 4-5 years as they make a push with a talented young team. I see a good deal here being made with Booth or Higgins, Ballard and Lou. Sounds like castoffs but veterans on a young team that fill voids. They are losing alot of dmen to age and ufa's, they have few veteran wingers. Nabakov is in his 40's, and they could use a veteran winger that can still play. Great trading partner for the Canucks as they have a ton of talented youth.

4. Philly will dump Bryz, its coming plain as day.

5. Fla can argue all they want about Markstrom, he's proven nothign and they know it. Moreover, his play at the end of the year has to worry the team 8 wins 14 losses, 3.22 gaa and .901 save % that is not an NHL goalie yet. Bringing in Lou (Markstrom is only 23) gives him 3-4 years to mature behind a talent, like Schnieds did, and when Lou is aging they switch roles and Markstrom is only 27/28....great win for both sides...no brainer here as well.

6. Buffalo - Miller is clearly moving

End of the day MG muddled it, but it seems to have worked in his favour. Don't be surprised if we get alot more than people expect for Lou now...that bidding war may just start after all bc of Serendipty and nothing else...

Bure was different. The Canucks were basically insulting one of the best players in the game with lowball offers and backhanded tactics like paying in $CDN (which at the time was substantially lower than USD and was not the standard). Lu has a generous contract. He lost his starting job, and he's since blamed the contract, which was mutual between managment and himself, for his trade woes.

Disagree with you here. Luongo has been using the phrase "I have to be better" since he got here. It was the captaincy that caused everyone to feel he through the team under the bus when asked about the teams' play. At best this was an unfair position for him to be put in.

Greatest goalie we have ever had, bar none. I've watched since the 2nd year of the franchise and I'm well aware of the goaltending we have had over the years.

Appolo, you need to take a valium. your pain in seeing Lou gone is colouring your objectivity...there is no way that you can say Lou would won the last 2 games...you just think he would have...or hoped. Let it go Man...its over !!

Appolo, you need to take a valium. your pain in seeing Lou gone is colouring your objectivity...there is no way that you can say Lou would won the last 2 games...you just think he would have...or hoped. Let it go Man...its over !!

Yes, and in this case they are insulting one of the best players in the game by saying they don't want him, then failing to trade him, then saying they have two number ones, then benching him for no reason, then bringing him back again, then benching him again for no reason.  In other words they have sent mixed messages throughout and have steadfastly refused to accept responsibility for a bad situation they have created.

"We will regret .." I think the majority of people already regret the way the Canucks have treated Luongo. One way to rectify the situation, buy him out and set him free to sign with whoever he wants to sign.

Seriously, I don't think the summer is going to be any better to trade Luongo. The Toronto train already has left. Reimer is doing fine .. he's young and will learn from this year. They were only expected to make it in ... not actually win a series.

Archived