The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

"We will regret .." I think the majority of people already regret the way the Canucks have treated Luongo. One way to rectify the situation, buy him out and set him free to sign with whoever he wants to sign.

Seriously, I don't think the summer is going to be any better to trade Luongo. The Toronto train already has left. Reimer is doing fine .. he's young and will learn from this year. They were only expected to make it in ... not actually win a series.

I am going to preface this by saying that I am not a Luongo fanboy. Far from it. I have actually been fairly critical of him in the past. That being said, I think the Canucks management his completely botched this goalie situation and turned what should have been an asset into a complete liability.

I am have been a fan for more than long enough to remember what a goalie graveyard this franchise has been, particularly between the departure of Kirk McLean, and the arrival of Roberto Luongo. We went through a number of goalies, including Garth Snow, Kevin Weekes, Alex Auld, Dan Cloutier, Felix Potvin, Johan Hedberg and Arturs Irbe, to name but a few. Some of those were never cut out to be number one goalies, but some had decent careers outside of Vancouver. Something about this franchise seemed to sap the confidence of our goalies.

When Luongo arrived, he brought some stability between the pipes in Vancouver that we hadn't had for a long time. While he has never won the Vezina, he has certainly turned in some memorable performances, and is probably the best goaltender to ever put on the Canucks uniform to date.

In 2009, Gillis decided to sign him to a front-end loaded 12 year contract with a no-trade clause. I'm not sure why management chose to handcuff themselves in that way, but you would think this would indicate that they saw him as their #1 goaltender for the forseeable future.

Cory Schneider's development into a top notch goaltender provided the Canucks with an embarassment of riches in net. Yet somehow, management squandered that advantage.

During the 2012 series with the Kings, the Canucks decided to switch horses mid-stream, and start Schneider over Luongo. It wasn't like Luongo's play was costing us the series, but I guess they figured a fresh face in net might kick-start our non-existent offence. It didn't.

There was no reason to treat that change as permanent, but the Canucks organization did. For reasons unknown to me, they made it clear Schneider was their guy from here on in, and Luongo wasn't wanted.

Nonetheless, Gillis seemed to have some pretty unrealistic expectations about what he might get in return for a guy with 10 years left on his contract and a significant cap hit. So, at the start of the season in 2013, Roberto Luongo was still a Canuck.

Management then did a whole song and dance about how we had two #1's, even though it was pretty clear they were shopping Luongo. And after alternating them for awhile, they essentially elected to bench Luongo for no obvious reason. Schneider had the better numbers , but Luongo was playing well, had the hot hand in February, and certainly deserved to start at least as often as any other NHL backup would. And why you wouldn't want to showcase a guy you are trying to trade is beyond me. Anyway, management chose to play Schneider almost exclusively down the stretch, which may very well have contributed to his getting injured toward the end of the season.

So with Schneider injured and then sick, Luongo gets the start against the Sharks. Despite playing well in Games 1 and 2, the Canucks again decide to switch horses mid-stream, and start Schneider, who hasn't played in two weeks and is recovering from injury and illness, in a must-win game. The result was pretty predictable. In the post-game press conference, Vigneault pretty much throws Schneider under the bus and doesn't take any responsibility for his own boneheaded decision. In the post-season press conference Gilis made it pretty clear that he still plans to move Luongo.

I think both goalies dealt with this crappy situation with class throughout. It was clear they both wanted the situation over and done with, but there was hardly a complaint throughout. Management, on the other hand, has inflamed the controversy at nearly every opportunity. I think they've actually managed to undermine the self-confidence of both of their goalies, and I wouldn't be surprised if both of them have soured significantly on the Canucks organization. He's certainly managed to reduce Luongo's trade value even further.

Quite frankly, I think management has dealt with one of our all-time greatest players in a callous and high-handed way, and in the process done a disservice to Roberto, to the fans, and to the organization. They could have dealt with this situation in a way that left allot less bad blood all around.

As I watched the Canucks try to mend fences with Pavel Bure (who was similarly run out of town) this season, it occurred to me that while we were re-building one bridge, we were burning down another. I get the feeling we are going to look back on this fiasco someday in a similar light.

I wish Roberto all the best in the future. I wish the best of luck to Cory Schneider: he will need it in dealing with this franchise, its often unrealistic fan base, and its quite frankly incompetent management. Here's hoping we don't become another goalie graveyard.

Couldn't agree more with the OP. I am absolutely disgusted by Canucks' management's "have our cake and eat it too" attitude with Luongo. After the trade deadline it became pretty clear that Mike Gillis was not the type of person that should be making serious decisions about this hockey club. Plain and simple he didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on Luongo when he had the chance. With Lu another year older, the cap going down and AV's decision to go almost exclusively with Schneider this season we will get nothing for him in terms of immediate returns simply because the Canucks are desperate to dump his salary and other GMs like Dave Nonis know it.

I really hope we see a GM change next season because, despite the fact that he's drafted well, after the long list of gaffes on Mike Gillis' resume he needs to go.

1. Ran Luongo out of town

2. Let impactful players key to our success in 2010-2011 cup run walk in free agency when it turns out they weren't asking for that much money. Torres [$1.75 million cap hit], Ehrhoff [$4 million cap hit], Salo [$3.75 million cap hit]. All reasonable considering Torres is playing a top-6 role and a big part of the Sharks sweeping us in the first round. Ehrhoff was key to the success of the Sedins back-to-back 100+ point seasons and our PP. Salo was a veteran leader on our team, point-man on the PP, and key to the sucess of our defensive pairings and Edler's development.

3. Threw away numerous draft picks, top-prospects (Connauton), future stars, (Hodgson, Grabner) impact depth players (Bernier) and veteran leadership (Samuelson) on rental players (Roy, Pahlsson) and total duds with huge salaries (Booth, Ballard).

The Canucks need retooling and I'm actually really scared about what he will do to this team if he's allowed to stay. Changes DO need to be made but I feel allowing him to be the one to make them would be a huge mistake.

I agree with the OP on everything, except that it was more the fans and the media's fault that Lu was supplanted as the number one goalie. When the fans decided to boo Luongo out of the goodness of their hearts that was it, the media took it and never let it go for a single second for the entire lock out and regular season/playoffs and still continue to nag away at it even now... We've brought this on ourselves and I hate to say it but I'm grouped in with everyone else because I'm a fan of this team. Man, I hope that Schneid's can put up with all this and stays here longterm, especially now that he's our "number one," because if we lose both guys we're screwed! :picard:

I'm not going to say I agree 100% with this... but I also won't say this isn't a possibility either. I know people are saying how Cory will be "the one" and how great he is, but the one thing that keeps coming to mind is that he STILL hasn't had the pressure of being the "starter" for a whole season nor the "go to" guy in the playoffs. Goalies are weird in the way that they can look like the next coming of Roy, Brodeur, etc. while they are splitting time (or as a back-up) but then suddenly when given "the shot" at being the starter.. they fall flat on their face (see Manny Fernandez as a great example of this.) But that is the gamble a team takes. If Cory does fail, I have a feeling a lot of people are going to look back and think; "what were they thinking!?" But if he doesn't, the thinking could be; "what took them so long!?"

Time will tell how this will play out

Hmmm I'm not sure if the Toronto ship has sailed fully. Still notsure lui wud accept a trade to Toronto. But imagine if lui was a leaf for these playoffs.

They've lost

4 1

Won 4-2

4 3

5 2

The leafs have scored ten goals against the bruins I'm four games... canucks scored eight in seven games.

I'm certain if leafs had lui they would either be up 3-1 or tied 2-2.... surely nonis sees that himself.

Heck they could have even swept...even scoring one goal in game one. Luongo has been known to win a couple 1-0 games vs boston.

Leafs + lui would take that series.

Management didnt choose to overplay schneider exclusively down the stretch. Thats the coaches decision. And no MG does not control what AV does, the coach on a sports team has a lot of pull. Making decisions is in the job description.

The last game of the regular season says it all. If AV is not gone (and Gillis with him) Lou won't be the last of a core that got to game 7 in the SCF two years ago to want out. You don't build a franchise that players want to be part of with displays like that, and incidents like that don't just fade away in the minds of players. Everyone on the team saw how Lou was hung out to dry by AV.

No we won't, not at all.

Was he a good goaltender? Absolutely. Did he has some incredible seasons? Yup. But lets remember, he also had horrible performances as well. Not to mention the earlier years of consistently throwing his team under the bus. The "franchise" (management) also assembled a good team in front of him that let him have a sniff at winning the Stanley Cup. Oh yeah, and not to mention the $60M contract that the "franchise" gave him. He has been treated just fine.

What ended up happening was Cory Schneider. A goaltender that is 6 years younger than Luo, has a lower cap hit, and has never thrown his team under the bus. In fact, he is one of the few goaltenders in the league that breaks the traditional mold of "moody" goaltenders and seems to be well liked by both the media and his teammates.

Who would you rather have?

Archived