The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

Couldn't agree more with the OP. I am absolutely disgusted by Canucks' management's "have our cake and eat it too" attitude with Luongo. After the trade deadline it became pretty clear that Mike Gillis was not the type of person that should be making serious decisions about this hockey club. Plain and simple he didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on Luongo when he had the chance. With Lu another year older, the cap going down and AV's decision to go almost exclusively with Schneider this season we will get nothing for him in terms of immediate returns simply because the Canucks are desperate to dump his salary and other GMs like Dave Nonis know it.

I really hope we see a GM change next season because, despite the fact that he's drafted well, after the long list of gaffes on Mike Gillis' resume he needs to go.

1. Ran Luongo out of town

2. Let impactful players key to our success in 2010-2011 cup run walk in free agency when it turns out they weren't asking for that much money. Torres [$1.75 million cap hit], Ehrhoff [$4 million cap hit], Salo [$3.75 million cap hit]. All reasonable considering Torres is playing a top-6 role and a big part of the Sharks sweeping us in the first round. Ehrhoff was key to the success of the Sedins back-to-back 100+ point seasons and our PP. Salo was a veteran leader on our team, point-man on the PP, and key to the sucess of our defensive pairings and Edler's development.

3. Threw away numerous draft picks, top-prospects (Connauton), future stars, (Hodgson, Grabner) impact depth players (Bernier) and veteran leadership (Samuelson) on rental players (Roy, Pahlsson) and total duds with huge salaries (Booth, Ballard).

The Canucks need retooling and I'm actually really scared about what he will do to this team if he's allowed to stay. Changes DO need to be made but I feel allowing him to be the one to make them would be a huge mistake.

your forgetting he split time with luongo for the last 2 seasons and outplayed him... luongo hasnt carried the load of an entire season like he used to for 2 years now. just another reason hes not worth his contract. hes geting paid like a top 3 goalies who plays 80% of the time... hes not even top 10 and has been splitting time for 2 years . if its so easy to look good when spltting time or being a back up .. then how do you explain Luongo ranked 25th in GAA with a 2.56 and 31st in save % he was the back up this year and splitting time...i dont think Cory is the answer to all our problems but going forward hes the better choice...for these reason... Cory was a top 10 goalie this year Luongo wasnt .. Cory is young and still getting better .. Luongo isnt .. Cory is cheaper giving us more money to spend on the team .. Luongo's contract takes another 1.3 mill away going into a year where the cap goes down... just like management has done to most canuck fans, luongo priced himself out of the market. i just hope for luongo he can some how go back to flordia but panthers dont spend that much on goalies and tampa's problem is defence not goaltending... if luongo went to tampa he would find out what being hung out to dry is really like.

I agree with the OP on everything, except that it was more the fans and the media's fault that Lu was supplanted as the number one goalie.

When the fans decided to boo Luongo out of the goodness of their hearts that was it, the media took it and never let it go for a single second for the entire lock out and regular season/playoffs and still continue to nag away at it even now...

We've brought this on ourselves and I hate to say it......

What about when Manny signs elsewhere and is a shell of his former self like he was the 10 games here will you admit maybe Gillis was right about that?

I fail to see the issue with being concerned about a players well being, it's terrible what happened to Manny....

I found it fortunate that Gillis made this huge,heartfelt decision that then allowed enough cap space to allow Booth back in to play.

Call me cynical but I ain't buying it.

Karma called and Booth was lost soon after.

We offered him an all star contract. But he sure as hell didn't really look like an all star at times letting in multiple goals in short sequences slashing the teams chance at any hopes of winning the game. Yea sure we treated him bad. You know what lead to him being treated bad? his bad play lead to it. Not the fans. He was great at times, but played below expectations. If he was a no name like Dan Cloutier then its a different story, at times he just flat out sucked. The last 2 games he played for us he was real good.

Canucks fans like myself have nothing to regret about it. I am going to miss him big time.

We offered him an all star contract. But he sure as hell didn't really look like an all star at times letting in multiple goals in short sequences slashing the teams chance at any hopes of winning the game.

Here's a thought. Lu will hold-out next season....& play somewhere in Europe on the Olympic-sized ice to get primed & ready to be Canada's starter at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. How he plays in this tournament will determine the subsequent interest & offers generated for his services afterward. Tampa Bay(Steve Yzerman) & Florida (Dale Tallon)...would NOT & could NOT pay Lu's contract for an entire season...but depending upon the circumstances - might be willing to pick-it-up at the trading deadline - to secure a proven-veteran goalie for a legitimate play-off run. With the cap returning to a healthier norm 2014 -'15 ....that's when we could see the interest in Lu REALLY heat up. Mike Gillis should wait til after the Olympics & peddle Lu @ the 2014 trading deadline..BUT give Dave Nonis & Leafs the SAME treatment..that they gave us - this year. String 'em along but send Lu anywhere he wants to go OTHER than to Toronto. Karma can be a a bitch. If there are still NO takers for Lu... Quebec City will be entering the league at the soonest opportunity. That franchise would be foolish NOT to jump at all of the good PR & instant cred that an iconic French-speaking Gold-medal-winning goalie like Roberto Luongo would bring to their market. There are still options left for MG to pursue...& his patience may prove to be a virtue - after all.

You can call the timing suspect but he was missing things on his left side, just watching him is enough to make that observation. It sucks and I wish he was 100% because he helps this team a lot when he is. But the truth is he is not 100% and is a risk to himself on the ice I saw it in the games he played this year.

I think they treated him pretty well until this off season. It would have been better for the franchise that he was moved.

I do not feel one bit sorry for Luongo. This is a business and Luongo comes out of this with over 60 million reason to feel good. He doesn't need his ego stroked.

Archived