Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

World Championships in Stockholm this year....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 Noseforthenet

Noseforthenet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Seeing as the WC's are in Stockholm this year, does anybody think the Sedins and Edler mailed in their efforts in our laughable 4 game playoffs this season? It seems an odd coincidence. We all know that MOST European players take more pride in international competition rather than the chance to win a cup. There are a few exceptions. I just find it odd and want to know what everyone else thinks?

#2 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

No.

edit, to expand on that point: no, I don't think they tanked it on purpose to go to the IIHF WC. I don't think that "We all know that MOST European players take more pride in international competition rather than the chance to win a cup". What makes you think that? Obviously the olympics are huge, but the IIHF WC is every year, and I've never heard of any player preferring to go to that than to win the in playoffs.

Edited by La Mauviette75, 10 May 2013 - 07:52 AM.

Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#3 Mountain Dew

Mountain Dew

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

We all know that MOST European players take more pride in international competition rather than the chance to win a cup.

This is not true. Sure, Europeans care more about the World Championship than North American players but it still can't compare to the Cup. Sedins said the Olympics gold couldn't even compare to getting to the Stanley Cup finals with Canucks. You think they take more pride in winning with a team they play with for 2 weeks than a team they play for 24/7?

#4 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,407 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Roussel killed the Russians yesterday :towel:

#5 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Would you say the same about Burrows? He will probably jump at the chance if they ask him to go.

Canada's team looks better than any of the playoff teams this year.

#6 Noseforthenet

Noseforthenet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Let's just look at the facts. It's in their home country this year and the Nucks weren't all that strong this year. The Sedins are world class players. 0 goals between them in the 4 games. All I am saying is for the circumstances, this year I can see it being a scenario.

#7 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

He have a lot of players that could potentially be on different international teams, and they deserve to be there, but in NO way would they throw the series to be there.

#8 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

He have a lot of players that could potentially be on different international teams, and they deserve to be there, but in NO way would they throw the series to be there.

This.

Sedins have pride... they simply wouldn't do that
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#9 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Let's just look at the facts. It's in their home country this year and the Nucks weren't all that strong this year. The Sedins are world class players. 0 goals between them in the 4 games. All I am saying is for the circumstances, this year I can see it being a scenario.

Yes, they are world class players, with a lot of integrity. If you don't see that, then you are not really a Nuck fan. The playoffs this year were a mess for the Canucks. Most of the team underperformed. Your comment about Euro players is clueless as well.

#10 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yeah their performance was disappointing, but taking on purpose to play in the WC is ridiculous. Put away the tinfoil hat OP.

#11 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,464 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Absolutely not....they invest in each and every game, despite whowhatwhywherewhenhowhorriblethereffingis. It's just nice that they can continue playing on....

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#12 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

I disagree

Daniel got a 10 minute abusive language penalty and "tossed" Wingels into the boards...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML medium.png - RGMG medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#13 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

No dude...
Posted Image

#14 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

No. Never, Cup>Medal

#15 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Absolutely not, the only reason they are going is because of the disappointment they feel this year at getting eliminated early.. They probably feel pretty worthless right about now and they want to prove it to themselves that they can still win. That's what I would do in this situation anyways, but they are telekinetic-hockey-playing-aliens from another planet, so who knows. lol

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#16 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Seeing as the WC's are in Stockholm this year, does anybody think the Sedins and Edler mailed in their efforts in our laughable 4 game playoffs this season? It seems an odd coincidence. We all know that MOST European players take more pride in international competition rather than the chance to win a cup. There are a few exceptions. I just find it odd and want to know what everyone else thinks?

OP this was a great read, compelling, dramatic and well-written. I laughed. I cried. I was visibly moved. Then I flushed.

The Sedins want a STANLEY CUP. We just got beat by a better team.

258o0g4.jpg

#17 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Absolutely NOT !!

I can't fathom any player doing that, let alone the Sedins.

#18 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

:picard: ....ughhh :picard:

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#19 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#20 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Ever play a team sport OP?
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#21 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Watching Hamhuis right now whom now has played in four World Championships.
Man,he is playing great hockey.
Big ice ,less players running around like robogoofs on steroids.
Passing has to be perfect,skating game is exceptional.
I love World Championships hockey.
I hope the Sedins are going to play half as good as Hamhuis is playing.

#22 Griff

Griff

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Watching Hamhuis right now whom now has played in four World Championships.
Man,he is playing great hockey.
Big ice ,less players running around like robogoofs on steroids.
Passing has to be perfect,skating game is exceptional.
I love World Championships hockey.
I hope the Sedins are going to play half as good as Hamhuis is playing.

Hammer had a very good game considering the long airplane ride, never skated with the team before and he played the penalty kill and also the power play.

#23 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

I disagree

Daniel got a 10 minute abusive language penalty and "tossed" Wingels into the boards...

#$&@*($&(#*@!ing Wingels... :angry:

#24 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

No

Just No

Just HELL NO

I will criticise their play on ice but their intergrity is unquestionable. They have married this city for better or worse and donated countless hours and resources time to charity and events. This thread is just slanderous to even consider the possiblity that the Twins tanked to play in Europe. They didn't even go during the lockout, they stayed here and trained to be ready for their first team above all others.

The Canucks

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Edited by TimberWolf, 12 May 2013 - 11:27 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#25 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Where can i watch the games?

#26 Griff

Griff

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Where can i watch the games?

You can watch them on TSN.

#27 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

You can watch them on TSN.

I live in the Netherlands...possible on the website of tsn?

#28 Griff

Griff

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I live in the Netherlands...possible on the website of tsn?

Possibly here. http://www.tsn.ca/

#29 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

What I get a kick out of most is when players are askedto suit up for Canada or USA, they come up with 100 reasons stemming from nursing injuries to picking fleas off their animals... Yet when Olympics or World Cup rolls around..."Oh hallaluyaaa... Its an honor anytime my country comes callin." should be ashamed.

On a side note....
Erik Johnson sucks a lemon all year and yet in this tourney, he plays like he was supposed to?

#30 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Firstly there is not a chance they would intentionally lose for any reason. Secondly, the WC games are awesome, is there any way the NHL can hire the European refs to come here? Those guys are great, the games are called fairly and evenly. It is entertaining hockey and the players get to show their skills. I watched a couple games and then a couple NHL games and could not believe the difference in quality. If it comes to a choice between a WC game and a playoff game I am watching the WC every time (well maybe not if the Canucks were playing).

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.