The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wait a minute. What did Gillis say?

Bite me Burr

Gillis said that, a few years back...years... like when Boston won the cup and then LA, a trend was emerging that saw big, fast, tough and aggresive steams win in the playoffs. So... NOW... he is going to "evaluate" things and move accordingly, though he says he disagrees with the style.

So he knew how to win, saw it, and didn't change... much? He should be fired then. Like any manager who comes out and says they saw it and did nothing because the disagreed with it while the business loses out.

Funny though, it all kind of adds up to what I have been going on about for years on here about what the Canucks need to win. I'm glad Gillis said it and is ready to make "bold" moves, again.

I see many posters have come around to what very few of us posters have been saying on CDC for a decade of more, that the Canucks aren't tough enough to push back when skill isn't enough and you need to impact the game another way. Now even the GM and all the hockey panels are repeating my/our words.

This year at least, we had Kassian and Sestito types. Too bad AV won't play toughness though.

Gillis said that, a few years back...years... like when Boston won the cup and then LA, a trend was emerging that saw big, fast, tough and aggresive steams win in the playoffs. So... NOW... he is going to "evaluate" things and move accordingly, though he says he disagrees with the style.

So he knew how to win, saw it, and didn't change... much? He should be fired then. Like any manager who comes out and says they saw it and did nothing because the disagreed with it while the business loses out.

Funny though, it all kind of adds up to what I have been going on about for years on here about what the Canucks need to win. I'm glad Gillis said it and is ready to make "bold" moves, again.

I see many posters have come around to what very few of us posters have been saying on CDC for a decade of more, that the Canucks aren't tough enough to push back when skill isn't enough and you need to impact the game another way. Now even the GM and all the hockey panels are repeating my/our words.

This year at least, we had Kassian and Sestito types. Too bad AV won't play toughness though.

If you didn't get it he said you have to wait and see if it is going to be just a short term trend, or the evolution of the game.

When they introduced the new obstruction rules, Vancouver decided to draft skill and speed. That was the way the game was supposed to be called. It sure isn't being called anywhere near what it was supposed to be. Now the Nucks have to find a way to get that Neaderthal mentatlity of players.

But the league will probably start penalizing Van for big hits, just because.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

If you didn't get it he said you have to wait and see if it is going to be just a short term trend, or the evolution of the game.

When they introduced the new obstruction rules, Vancouver decided to draft skill and speed. That was the way the game was supposed to be called. It sure isn't being called anywhere near what it was supposed to be. Now the Nucks have to find a way to get that Neaderthal mentatlity of players.

But the league will probably start penalizing Van for big hits, just because.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

it seems like the '11 finals were seen by the whole league as a sign that big and tough is the new way of things, and that's a bummer. our boys had a meltdown in that series and i still don't buy that it was just because the bruins were tough and nasty, there has been a phsychological faultline running down the middle of this group for years and the bruins busted it open, just as the blackhawks have done several times playing a skill system.

the canucks could have won that series, and i wish they had. not only for the obvious reason of wanting to see them win the cup, but also so everyone could have come away having seen skill beat size, and so we wouldn't be having this conversation. that 2011 vancouver team played some sublime hockey at their best, it was so great to watch. and it's not as though they didn't hit hard, they did that too but they won on the strength of their skill.

I feel like the NHL is changing every year. LA didn't win with size it was mostly their goaltending in Quick. Boston deftainely played a rough style of game then most teams do in the league. When Chicago won the cup they won with speed and skill and could very much do the samething this year. To win the cup you need a lot of bounces and to get lucky.

everyone is saying this size and strenght is beating skilll is not true just a couple teams over the last few years have had really good big skilled guys ... they havent just gooned it up with no skill and beat people into submission... LA had big bodys sure but their big bodies are some of the best players in the league like brown and kopitar .. richards and carter are no slouches either.. boston played a physicle style but still had a ton of skill on their team... ... LA and boston arguably have the best big guys in the league and know how to play to their strenghts both of them also put up the best goalie performances in the last decade in net.

1. We need to get rid of Ballard and acquire an offensive dman. Unfortunately Jovanovski & Ehrhoff types are hard to find - usually you just luck out. Here are three players I would like to see the Canucks target in place of Ballard:

• Joni Pitkanen - 1 year left on his contract. Would cost a lot to acquire

• Ryan Whitney - Whitney has struggled with injuries and inconsistent play, but still averaged around 42 points over 82 games with Edmonton. Could potentially be picked-up for 2.5-3.5 million depending on the market.

• Andrej Meszaros - I really like his size and skating ability. Again he has suffered a lot of injuries, but I would gamble on a straight Ballard for Meszaros swap.

2. Speed and grit. I would love to see us get Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke back.

3. Bottom 6 faceoff winning centre. Brian Boyle comes to mind. Size, toughness, and 56% on the dot. Fairly skilled (score 20 goals one year), is usually near the league lead in hits and is capable of killing penalties.

4. Toughness - Pick up a legit heavy, just in case. McGrattan, Orrr etc are free agents.

Archived