27 replies to this topic

#1 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Gillis said that, a few years back...years... like when Boston won the cup and then LA, a trend was emerging that saw big, fast, tough and aggresive steams win in the playoffs. So... NOW... he is going to "evaluate" things and move accordingly, though he says he disagrees with the style.

So he knew how to win, saw it, and didn't change... much? He should be fired then. Like any manager who comes out and says they saw it and did nothing because the disagreed with it while the business loses out.

Funny though, it all kind of adds up to what I have been going on about for years on here about what the Canucks need to win. I'm glad Gillis said it and is ready to make "bold" moves, again.

I see many posters have come around to what very few of us posters have been saying on CDC for a decade of more, that the Canucks aren't tough enough to push back when skill isn't enough and you need to impact the game another way. Now even the GM and all the hockey panels are repeating my/our words.

This year at least, we had Kassian and Sestito types. Too bad AV won't play toughness though.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Magic wand malfunction?
Posted Image

#3 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,263 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Gillis said that, a few years back...years... like when Boston won the cup and then LA, a trend was emerging that saw big, fast, tough and aggresive steams win in the playoffs. So... NOW... he is going to "evaluate" things and move accordingly, though he says he disagrees with the style.

So he knew how to win, saw it, and didn't change... much? He should be fired then. Like any manager who comes out and says they saw it and did nothing because the disagreed with it while the business loses out.

Funny though, it all kind of adds up to what I have been going on about for years on here about what the Canucks need to win. I'm glad Gillis said it and is ready to make "bold" moves, again.

I see many posters have come around to what very few of us posters have been saying on CDC for a decade of more, that the Canucks aren't tough enough to push back when skill isn't enough and you need to impact the game another way. Now even the GM and all the hockey panels are repeating my/our words.

This year at least, we had Kassian and Sestito types. Too bad AV won't play toughness though.

Did you listen to yesterday's press conference?

#4 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

yes and many others
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#5 danjr

danjr

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

If you didn't get it he said you have to wait and see if it is going to be just a short term trend, or the evolution of the game.
When they introduced the new obstruction rules, Vancouver decided to draft skill and speed. That was the way the game was supposed to be called. It sure isn't being called anywhere near what it was supposed to be. Now the Nucks have to find a way to get that Neaderthal mentatlity of players.
But the league will probably start penalizing Van for big hits, just because.
Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.
Calling dibs on a Presidents trophy. Boy did I call that right X2.

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Every team wants the big tough fast players, but very few teams actually have them.

It's hard to change into a big tough team overnight with the Sedins leading the way.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you didn't get it he said you have to wait and see if it is going to be just a short term trend, or the evolution of the game.
When they introduced the new obstruction rules, Vancouver decided to draft skill and speed. That was the way the game was supposed to be called. It sure isn't being called anywhere near what it was supposed to be. Now the Nucks have to find a way to get that Neaderthal mentatlity of players.
But the league will probably start penalizing Van for big hits, just because.
Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

At this point I just wanna watch entertaining hockey though.

I'd rather lose with speed and skill, than lose with big grind it out goon hockey.

We've proven that skilled teams can make it to the dance. We just have to make sure all of the right support pieces are in place.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 May 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Magic wand malfunction?

There's a pill for that.

#9 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Actually, he's been saying he wants to get bigger and younger for at least a year now. Look at the Kassian trade and the players he's been drafting the last two years.

#10 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'd rather lose with speed and skill, than lose with big grind it out goon hockey.

exactly the opposite of Canadian hockey...
I'd rather lose with an Iginla than a Sedin any day!
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#11 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

And Iginla is skilled and fast is he not?

It's not the players it's the style. Iginla has the size and strength to play on a slow grinder team, but he also has the speed and skill to play on an offensive team like the Penguins.

It all comes down to which style you want to pay to see.

Posted Image

#12 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

I believe he was making reference as to not getting rid of av
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#13 TheJokesOnYou

TheJokesOnYou

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

We do. His name is Daniel Sedin. He hits too hard for the NHL, even in OT.

#14 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I dont blame him for not wanting to change it because to be honest i dont want to spend the money on tickets to watch the dead puck era come back ,This year was a reminder on how un entertaining hockey can be
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#15 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

it seems like the '11 finals were seen by the whole league as a sign that big and tough is the new way of things, and that's a bummer. our boys had a meltdown in that series and i still don't buy that it was just because the bruins were tough and nasty, there has been a phsychological faultline running down the middle of this group for years and the bruins busted it open, just as the blackhawks have done several times playing a skill system.

the canucks could have won that series, and i wish they had. not only for the obvious reason of wanting to see them win the cup, but also so everyone could have come away having seen skill beat size, and so we wouldn't be having this conversation. that 2011 vancouver team played some sublime hockey at their best, it was so great to watch. and it's not as though they didn't hit hard, they did that too but they won on the strength of their skill.

#16 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think he actually meant if I hadn't been such an idiot we still would of had HOdgson who would of carried the third line and produced like Couture.But I"m a dumb***

#17 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I feel like the NHL is changing every year. LA didn't win with size it was mostly their goaltending in Quick. Boston deftainely played a rough style of game then most teams do in the league. When Chicago won the cup they won with speed and skill and could very much do the samething this year. To win the cup you need a lot of bounces and to get lucky.

#18 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

everyone is saying this size and strenght is beating skilll is not true just a couple teams over the last few years have had really good big skilled guys ... they havent just gooned it up with no skill and beat people into submission... LA had big bodys sure but their big bodies are some of the best players in the league like brown and kopitar .. richards and carter are no slouches either.. boston played a physicle style but still had a ton of skill on their team... ... LA and boston arguably have the best big guys in the league and know how to play to their strenghts both of them also put up the best goalie performances in the last decade in net.

#19 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

1. We need to get rid of Ballard and acquire an offensive dman. Unfortunately Jovanovski & Ehrhoff types are hard to find - usually you just luck out. Here are three players I would like to see the Canucks target in place of Ballard:
  • Joni Pitkanen - 1 year left on his contract. Would cost a lot to acquire
  • Ryan Whitney - Whitney has struggled with injuries and inconsistent play, but still averaged around 42 points over 82 games with Edmonton. Could potentially be picked-up for 2.5-3.5 million depending on the market.
  • Andrej Meszaros - I really like his size and skating ability. Again he has suffered a lot of injuries, but I would gamble on a straight Ballard for Meszaros swap.
2. Speed and grit. I would love to see us get Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke back.

3. Bottom 6 faceoff winning centre. Brian Boyle comes to mind. Size, toughness, and 56% on the dot. Fairly skilled (score 20 goals one year), is usually near the league lead in hits and is capable of killing penalties.

4. Toughness - Pick up a legit heavy, just in case. McGrattan, Orrr etc are free agents.
Sig too big.

#20 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Gillis never really says much of anything.

#21 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

There is a trend and all years have the same outcome in common... we lose the playoff run and rebuild for speed and skill, then we lose the game because were not tough enough and now we are being remodeled to be big, fast and skillful.... Sure its nice to think about this, but with our cap issues I just dont see what MG is talking about.

We were bigger and outhit this season and whats the outcome? a four game sweepbecause we cant score and refs are against us?

Sadly MG failed on a huge scale as a gm and AV was stubborn to play certain line combinations or certain players...

The truth is, the game is always changing from game to game from period to period from shift to shift and all that matters is how the players are being managed and the ability to adapt to different teams and different play-styles... Truth is AV has a really hard time adjusting and by the time he figures something out its just too late.

Edited by Ginu, 10 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

#22 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

it seems like the '11 finals were seen by the whole league as a sign that big and tough is the new way of things, and that's a bummer. our boys had a meltdown in that series and i still don't buy that it was just because the bruins were tough and nasty, there has been a phsychological faultline running down the middle of this group for years and the bruins busted it open, just as the blackhawks have done several times playing a skill system.

the canucks could have won that series, and i wish they had. not only for the obvious reason of wanting to see them win the cup, but also so everyone could have come away having seen skill beat size, and so we wouldn't be having this conversation. that 2011 vancouver team played some sublime hockey at their best, it was so great to watch. and it's not as though they didn't hit hard, they did that too but they won on the strength of their skill.

I couldn't agree more!
:towel:

#23 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think he actually meant if I hadn't been such an idiot we still would of had HOdgson who would of carried the third line and produced like Couture.But I"m a dumb***

You were ok there for a second but then you mentioned Hodgson so yes, dumb*** seems about right
Posted Image

#24 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

The snake oil sales pitch prove why he was such a great players agent, speaking a lot w/o saying much.

#25 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,263 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

yes and many others

then you would have heard him say that he has made a few moves in that direction (as you referenced) but it's not easy when everyone is seeking the same thing, and there is also little player movement. He said essentially that they tried but the results were measured.

#26 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

We've proven that skilled teams can make it to the dance. We just have to make sure all of the right support pieces are in place.

Exactly.
Gillis talks like we are miles away. We aren't. The team is basically sound when fit and all we have ever needed was 2 or 3 of the right type of big body.
Gillis talks as if we have nothing on the ice. We weren't even fully fit plus I feel too much chemistry was lost because of continued changes, many unnecessary.
Kevin.jpg

#27 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

And Iginla is skilled and fast is he not?

It's not the players it's the style. Iginla has the size and strength to play on a slow grinder team, but he also has the speed and skill to play on an offensive team like the Penguins.

It all comes down to which style you want to pay to see.

Well I think he's not alluding to big, fast, tough players, although they are the solution. Rather, offciating the games has returned to clutching, grabbing and guys like Marchand, or LA with King, Brown and Nolan all mucking it up. This limits the Twins puck possession game and scoring. One solution (see Samuelsson supplanting Burrows 2 years before that in the 1st round) has always been to find a bigger guy who can hang with the Twins. If that guy is supposed to be Kassian, Gillis and AV ought to have a chat.

If not, MG has failed to source a skilled role player with size. Strike one!

My two cents; in our SCF year what do you think Torres, Malhotra and Hansen's role was? They embodied this "new" thing. Although Manny also added a face off god; he was 220 lbs, fast and could handle all the match ups like Getzlaf or Thornton. And Torres and Hansen, Torres in particular who is also 215 lbs, slaughtered people on the fore-check. And we had Kesler, a supremely strong athlete, running around on another line. Have we ever caught him or Burrows clutching and grabbing? We were that new trend with size flying around hitting people; with the leagues best PK unworried it would hurt us. Now some of those guys are gone, and Kesler has pretty much been injured since. If this is Kassian's role to fill, him and AV (or a new coach) ought to have a chat?

We have gone backwards in terms of team size and speed. I posted 2 years ago, sure Higgins is a better hockey player; it does not mean he helps our team as much as Torres who was a physical hand full. MG instead has been drafting and trading for bigger guys to fill such roles. See Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Mallet, Booth. But to literally steal a baseball analogy; none of them hit in the big leagues! Batta swing; strike 2!

And I know the OP wants a pitcher who'll dust back opponents with high heat, and a catcher who'll break your knee's.

But the real reason we finally beat Chicago in '11, our D beat fore-checkers to the puck and we were up ice before we could get hit. Edler is now a step slower, and Erhoff lugged the puck better than Garrison or Salo. Its why LA's crushing pressure wore us out. And with Erhof playing hurt and Hamhuis out also Bostons pressure hammered us. So we start coughing it up and play defence on our heels; just like this last series against SJ! Our D is simply not as good at moving the puck, and then jumping into the play to finish teams off.

Strike 3!

Our real problem is not any new trend; we ourselves are not as fast, big and talented as we once were...

#28 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.