avelanch

5993_173557909487129_626912488_n.png

1016930_182321345277452_70672269_n.jpg

7242_173545826155004_599200973_n.png

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UticaComets

Edit : looks like Utica

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

38m

A deal has been finalized that the Canucks will relocate their new AHL club in Utica, N.Y. for next season.

Glen Gulutzan was also interviewed to replace Alain Vigneault. Former Stars head coach might be a good Canucks fit in Uitca. Good teacher.

Wondering what deal the Canucks struck with Utica. It's a short-term AHL fix for a long-term pursuit — winding up in Abbotsford.

e6b92484ee2f11e28e2c22000a1fb747_7.jpg

http://utica.krock.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread is about to become very, very, very busy because Vancouver management operates so slow, that they are going to run out of time establishing an AHL Team. They should have just stayed in Peoria!!!

I think this thread is about to become very, very, very busy because Vancouver management operates so slow, that they are going to run out of time establishing an AHL Team. They should have just stayed in Peoria!!!

You're still here?

wuhwhat.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff. It's obvious this isn't their ideal location, but for the short term, at least they won't be losing money like they would have in Peoria.

Now they have a bit of time to build up the Utica market into something appealing, and hopefully in a year or so convince Calgary to move their team.

Wait, why are we moving to Utica? I thought the whole purpose of buying Peoria was to move it to the NW closer to home?

Their arena is from 1959 and seats 4000 capacity. What a piece..

http://www.vancouver...1827/story.html

Did you read the article?

This is a short term solution where they won't lose money. Their hope is still to move the team to Abbotsford in the next couple years. Hence the 1 year deal with Utica.

The arena is also slated to get a 2.25 million dollar upgrade. Many arenas are less then half full most nights anyways. So a 4,000 seat arena in a new market is actually a good thing. They'll be able to fill it up every night and charge a premium.

But who cares what the arena looks like? I doubt any of us are going to the games.

Did you read the article?

This is a short term solution where they won't lose money. Their hope is still to move the team to Abbotsford in the next couple years. Hence the 1 year deal with Utica.

The arena is also slated to get a 2.25 million dollar upgrade. Many arenas are less then half full most nights anyways. So a 4,000 seat arena in a new market is actually a good thing. They'll be able to fill it up every night and charge a premium.

But who cares what the arena looks like? I doubt any of us are going to the games.

utica_aud1f302f80-90a6-4195-8538-2a9a51aaa896.jpg

Newspaper reports keep making it out to be a dump. Trust me it's a fine old barn.

utica_aud1f302f80-90a6-4195-8538-2a9a51aaa896.jpg

Newspaper reports keep making it out to be a dump. Trust me it's a fine old barn.

I agree, I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. It seems like a nice cozy arena.

I'd rather them have a 4,000 seat arena packed with rabid hockey fans, than a half full 14,000 seat arena with fans that are just there cause it's affordable entertainment.

Really it's about the product on the ice anyways.

It'll be interesting to see how they fill out the roster in the coming months - having control of our own team means that we need to have enough players under contract to play there. We'll probably see a couple of AHL vets signed in free agency, in the Ebbett/Vandermeer/Desbiens/Gordon mold.

Players under contract who could be there:

forwards: Jensen, Mallet, Blomstrand, Grenier, Friesen, Anthony, Tochkin; (RFAs): Schroeder, Sweatt, Lain, Archibald, S. Schneider

defense: Andersson, Tommernes, Polasek, Corrado; (RFAs): Sauve, Joslin

goalie: Cannata, Lack (?)

Normally it might be easy to dismiss some of the RFAs as being unlikely to get re-signed, but they do need to fill out a full roster so perhaps players on the bubble like Sauve and Joslin get re-upped. I'm doubtful about Stefan Schneider's chances, and I'm not even going to give Prab Rai a shot, he's definitely done. Not sure if Lack will be the backup in Vancouver or not next year - he's coming off a major injury, but he is on a one-way deal which might land him the spot despite the lost season.

It'll be interesting to see how they fill out the roster in the coming months - having control of our own team means that we need to have enough players under contract to play there. We'll probably see a couple of AHL vets signed in free agency, in the Ebbett/Vandermeer/Desbiens/Gordon mold.

Players under contract who could be there:

forwards: Jensen, Mallet, Blomstrand, Grenier, Friesen, Anthony, Tochkin; (RFAs): Schroeder, Sweatt, Lain, Archibald, S. Schneider

defense: Andersson, Tommernes, Polasek, Corrado; (RFAs): Sauve, Joslin

goalie: Cannata, Lack (?)

Normally it might be easy to dismiss some of the RFAs as being unlikely to get re-signed, but they do need to fill out a full roster so perhaps players on the bubble like Sauve and Joslin get re-upped. I'm doubtful about Stefan Schneider's chances, and I'm not even going to give Prab Rai a shot, he's definitely done. Not sure if Lack will be the backup in Vancouver or not next year - he's coming off a major injury, but he is on a one-way deal which might land him the spot despite the lost season.

Which players are the most promising NHL prospects that we should be keeping an eye on next year?

Archived