The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

they move from Chicago to move closer to Van and end up going even further than chicago lol anyways nice looking jerseys

It's about development, not location. Utica will be far, far better for our prospects than Chicago since the Canucks are in full control. Chicago would be closer, but if our prospects don't get ice time there it doesn't matter.

The jerseys look pretty sweet!

CANNOT wait for the culture change in our farm system. chicago only worked marginally when Lack was in net to carry the team to the playoffs. now roles will be filled with our guys. that could make a difference when it comes to signing FAs, if the guy knows he would be headed to chicago, i think that would raise some questions about their place on the team and if they would even get to play.

I love the logo, and for all of you whining about "why Utica" it's been stated time and time again in this thread that it's a short term deal to see if they can make headway with the Abbotsford/Calgary negotiations. Ultimately the Canucks farm team will reside in Abbotsford, it's just a matter of time.

Right now location doesn't matter nearly as much as the Canucks having full control over the farm system, allowing them to enforce the exact same culture in the AHL as they have in the NHL will provide major dividends for prospects as they develop; it will ensure a seamless transition from minor to major leagues, the only thing at that point that would stand in a prospects way is skill and ability.

Bottom line, this is good news considering the most recent prospect acquisitions have been FA (Undrafted or NCAA), and they know that if they succeed with the farm system they'll have a legitimate shot at making the big club.

Chicago was a privately owned franchise who had no ties to any NHL franchise aside from whatever affiliate agreement they chose to abide by. The Canucks in this case the same as any other NHL franchise to affiliate themselves with the Wolves had no say on if their prospects would get ice time or not; the Wolves' primary target was to make money, and made roster decisions based upon that.

Utica will be like a lottery win for our prospects who will benefit immensely, I'm excited for the first time in probably a decade when it comes to the development of our prospects. Finally, who we draft actually means something and will make insightful drafting even more important as the Canucks likely will not be drafting < 20 for some time; perhaps the only exception will be next season as they adjust to a significantly stronger division.

Did you read the article?

This is a short term solution where they won't lose money. Their hope is still to move the team to Abbotsford in the next couple years. Hence the 1 year deal with Utica.

The arena is also slated to get a 2.25 million dollar upgrade. Many arenas are less then half full most nights anyways. So a 4,000 seat arena in a new market is actually a good thing. They'll be able to fill it up every night and charge a premium.

But who cares what the arena looks like? I doubt any of us are going to the games.

DeNiro, I agree with you and the article. IMO this whole deal sounds fishy. Canucks won't be in Utica for 2 years, even though they signed a 6 year agreement. Such agreements are easily broken with penalties as low as $100,000. IMO Calgary and Canucks AHL teams will swap locations.

You should care how the AUD looks. It only holds 3,800 people for hockey. Peoria averaged last year 5,000+. Now do the math on the ticket prices Utica is going to charge. When Canuck Exec Mgmt came to Peoria for a visit they estimated that they could lose up to $1.5 million/year. The rent may be a bit cheaper at the AUD, but how much $$$ do you think the Canucks will lose each year in the AUD? Most NHL teams who own their own AHL teams do not make a profit, but it is considered a valuable cost for the development of young prospects.......and in the long run is probably cheaper than "free agency".

You may not care what the AUD locker rooms look like, but I guarantee that Canuck Exec Mgmt does. When visiting Peoria they were requesting $1 million in renovations to the Rivermen locker room alone. (Locker room had just been renovated 8 years ago for 7 figures $$$.). The time the AUD gets a new HD video, state of the art electronic scoreboard, 2 new locker rooms (especially the Comets locker room), exercise room, and classroom, all of the $5 million from the State of New York will have been spent.

Does anybody know, is Utica going to automatically be in the Eastern Conference of the AHL, because the previous Rivermen franchise was in the Western Conference, along with Rockford, Chicago, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, etc.?

DeNiro, I agree with you and the article. IMO this whole deal sounds fishy. Canucks won't be in Utica for 2 years, even though they signed a 6 year agreement. Such agreements are easily broken with penalties as low as $100,000. IMO Calgary and Canucks AHL teams will swap locations.

You should care how the AUD looks. It only holds 3,800 people for hockey. Peoria averaged last year 5,000+. Now do the math on the ticket prices Utica is going to charge. When Canuck Exec Mgmt came to Peoria for a visit they estimated that they could lose up to $1.5 million/year. The rent may be a bit cheaper at the AUD, but how much $$$ do you think the Canucks will lose each year in the AUD? Most NHL teams who own their own AHL teams do not make a profit, but it is considered a valuable cost for the development of young prospects.......and in the long run is probably cheaper than "free agency".

You may not care what the AUD locker rooms look like, but I guarantee that Canuck Exec Mgmt does. When visiting Peoria they were requesting $1 million in renovations to the Rivermen locker room alone. (Locker room had just been renovated 8 years ago for 7 figures $$$.). The time the AUD gets a new HD video, state of the art electronic scoreboard, 2 new locker rooms (especially the Comets locker room), exercise room, and classroom, all of the $5 million from the State of New York will have been spent.

Does anybody know, is Utica going to automatically be in the Eastern Conference of the AHL, because the previous Rivermen franchise was in the Western Conference, along with Rockford, Chicago, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, etc.?

I know it sucks to lose your team but it is obvious that you are bitter towards the Vancouver Canucks which seems a bit misguided to me. If anything you should be bitter toward the St. Louis Blues and not Vancouver. They are the team that sold the Riverman and abandoned Peoria. Don't you think that it is time to move on?

The Comets announced this today on their Facebook page. They are off to a great start!

4 days. 1,000 Utica Comets Season Ticket holders.

“The Utica Comets hockey fans have totally just blown us away. One thousand season tickets sold, with our box office being open for under thirty hours, is a great indicator as to just how ready Utica, NY is for AHL hockey.” said President Robert Esche. “Utica is a hockey town, and the response, through ticket sales, and social media further solidifies that fact.”

“I have owned seven professional sports teams, and I have never once seen 1,000 season tickets sold in a four day span.” said Chairman Frank B. DuRoss. “The fan response has been extraordinary.”

The Comets announced this today on their Facebook page. They are off to a great start!

4 days. 1,000 Utica Comets Season Ticket holders.

“The Utica Comets hockey fans have totally just blown us away. One thousand season tickets sold, with our box office being open for under thirty hours, is a great indicator as to just how ready Utica, NY is for AHL hockey.” said President Robert Esche. “Utica is a hockey town, and the response, through ticket sales, and social media further solidifies that fact.”

“I have owned seven professional sports teams, and I have never once seen 1,000 season tickets sold in a four day span.” said Chairman Frank B. DuRoss. “The fan response has been extraordinary.”

Congratulations to the Utica Comets. Sounds like your well on your way to breaking Utica's record of never having had more than 2800 fans for a pro hockey game. You are so fortunate to have such strong local leadership group. I hope the Canucks will fulfill their contract to play in Utica for at least 6 years. Enjoy those 6 years, because after that its off to Abbotsford, BC.

Congratulations to the Utica Comets. Sounds like your well on your way to breaking Utica's record of never having had more than 2800 fans for a pro hockey game. You are so fortunate to have such strong local leadership group. I hope the Canucks will fulfill their contract to play in Utica for at least 6 years. Enjoy those 6 years, because after that its off to Abbotsford, BC.

You can't help but show off your obvious bitterness with these backhanded compliments can you?

I thought you were happy with your SPHL team? Please go be "happy" elsewhere

with calgary to come in and take over.

Willige, thanks for the backhanded compliment. You really are having trouble letting go aren't you? I've seen that you have even been posting comments to articles in our local online newspaper....a little pathetic don't you think? You fit right in with some of our local nay-sayers.

If it makes you happy I truly believe that Utica will either finish last or near the bottom in AHL average attendance next year. With a building that seats only 3850 or maybe 4100 with standing room it's crazy not to think that. But the local investors and the Canucks wouldn't be doing this if there wasn't a business model that allows them to operate without a huge loss.

I expect to see an average attendance in the 3300 to 3400 range with consistent sell outs on the weekends and crowds of around 2500 - 2800 on weeknights. All AHL teams see a drop in attendance on weeknights. Hopefully we will not be burdened with a high ratio of weeknight games.

If my prediction is correct the Aud will average around 87% capacity. The team that had the lowest average attendance last year averaged 3527 in a building that seats 13,846 for an average 25% capacity. Which do you think is a better business model? Then consider Utica is smack in the middle of so many existing AHL teams which reduce expenses and create rivalries. I expect to see hundreds of Crunch fans at the Aud every time we play Syracuse.

You like to point out that Utica never averaged more than 2800 for the Devils when we last had the AHL but there are a number of important differences now that you know nothing about. Utica is a small Upstate, NY city of about 62,000 but the area when combined with the city of Rome and various suburbs is around 250,000. Back in the Devils days (and all previous minor league teams) there were two large low income housing projects directly behind the Aud. Trying to convince enough people from the more affluent suburban ares to regularly come down to the Aud was a tough sell. The Aud has very limited parking so most people either park on the street or in small lots a couple blocks away. Reports of having cars broken into and vandalized kept people away. The crime rate in and around "the projects" was a legitimate concern.

The projects were torn down since pro hockey last played in Utica and much of that land will be turned into parking for the Aud. It was also announced that a local business man will build a sports bar directly behind the Aud and hopes to have it completed by October in time for hockey season. Utica College plays out of the Aud and with the projects gone they lead the NCAA in D3 average attendance....more proof that people will pack that building on a regular basis.

Archived