The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

Too bad, Pascal's role as a solid veteran will be missed. There are going to be a lot of young guns (that I'm very happy to see) in Utica this year that could have used Pascal's leadership. This guy was a gem and a pleasure to watch. There are a lot of bummed fans in Utica today, myself included. We wish him luck in the KHL.

Too bad, Pascal's role as a solid veteran will be missed. There are going to be a lot of young guns (that I'm very happy to see) in Utica this year that could have used Pascal's leadership. This guy was a gem and a pleasure to watch. There are a lot of bummed fans in Utica today, myself included. We wish him luck in the KHL.

Well said UF. It was a pleasure watching Peletier play last season and I wish him well in the KHL. I hope Vancouver signs a solid core of Veterans to provide the needed leadership to the talented but young group of new players coming up next season.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured it was time to bump this one with a couple Comets only signings:

BsRC3bwCMAEvvJm.jpg

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations, Pat Conacher, has announced that the Comets have signed forward Patrick Kennedy and defenseman Kane Lafranchise to a standard player contract for the 2014-15 season.

Kennedy, 25, a four-year pro out of Cornell University, played 40 games with the Comets last season beginning in the ECHL with the Evansville IceMen. He joined the Comets on a professional tryout contract on Jan. 15 and recorded five points (one goal, four assists) along 10 penalty minutes. With the IceMen, the 6-3, 205-pound winger registered 14 points (five goals, nine assists) in 19 games.

A native of Dorchester, ON, Kennedy played our years at Cornell University where he amassed 49 points (17 goals, 32 assists) over 129 career games from 2007-11. He served as co-captain of the Big Red during his senior season.

Lafranchise, 26, finished the 2013-14 season by winning a Kelly Cup Championship with the ECHL Alaska Aces. He split the regular season between the Aces and the Abbotsford Heat. With the Heat, the Edmonton-native collected 13 assists in 34 games and registered another six points (three goals, three assists) with the Aces. In the playoffs he tallied another 11 points (one goal, 10 assists) in 15 games.

The 6-1, 195-pound defenseman will be entering his fifth season of professional hockey. He has also spent time with Oklahoma City and Houston in the AHL during the 2012-13 season. Undrafted, Lafranchise played his college hockey at the University of Alaska-Anchorage from 2007-10.

They'll be alot of depth in Utica this year. Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Grenier, O'Reilly, Zalewski, Kenins, Archibald, Mallet, Jeffrey, Lain, Friesen, De Fazio, Blomstrand. That's just the forwards and excluding Utica signings.

Some how I think Pelletier will be back....if not to Utica & the Canucks organization,...then to the NHL. This is an new experience for him, to use for some extra development,...but - it'll be very interesting to see what the results of this process will be for him.

So, when does the {Official} 2014-15 Utica Comets Thread.... take-over or start?

training camp maybe? I have no idea. If somebody else hasn't started one by then I'll do it.

Going to be an exciting year for Utica too. It'll probably be my first year that I truly follow a farm team. Can't wait.

Last year was the first that I closely followed our farm team and this one's gonna be even better! Getting our own farm team was one of the best decisions Gillis made, I'm looking forward to a roster full of Canucks prospects next season, and it'll probably be the best bunch we've had down in the AHL in a long time.

training camp maybe? I have no idea. If somebody else hasn't started one by then I'll do it.

Last year was the first that I closely followed our farm team and this one's gonna be even better! Getting our own farm team was one of the best decisions Gillis made, I'm looking forward to a roster full of Canucks prospects next season, and it'll probably be the best bunch we've had down in the AHL in a long time.

Agreed, I vaguely followed them last year, but this year I'll be much more aware.

So, when does the {Official} 2014-15 Utica Comets Thread.... take-over or start?

last year was unusual because we had so much to talk about with the canucks buying a team, but usually it'll get started in late august or early September. right before the waiver period begin date, so as to capture all the prospects/players being assigned to the team.

From the Utica Comets fan page, here are 2 players the Comets have signed for the 2014-15 season: Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations, Pat Conacher, has announced that the Comets have signed forward Patrick Kennedy and defenseman Kane Lafranchise to a standard player contract for the 2014-15 season. Kennedy, 25, a four-year pro out of Cornell University, played 40 games with the Comets last season beginning in the ECHL with the Evansville IceMen. He joined the Comets on a professional tryout contract on Jan. 15 and recorded five points (one goal, four assists) along 10 penalty minutes. With the IceMen, the 6-3, 205-pound winger registered 14 points (five goals, nine assists) in 19 games. A native of Dorchester, ON, Kennedy played our years at Cornell University where he amassed 49 points (17 goals, 32 assists) over 129 career games from 2007-11. He served as co-captain of the Big Red during his senior season. Lafranchise, 26, finished the 2013-14 season by winning a Kelly Cup Championship with the ECHL Alaska Aces. He split the regular season between the Aces and the Abbotsford Heat. With the Heat, the Edmonton-native collected 13 assists in 34 games and registered another six points (three goals, three assists) with the Aces. In the playoffs he tallied another 11 points (one goal, 10 assists) in 15 games. The 6-1, 195-pound defenseman will be entering his fifth season of professional hockey. He has also spent time with Oklahoma City and Houston in the AHL during the 2012-13 season. Undrafted, Lafranchise played his college hockey at the University of Alaska-Anchorage from 2007-10.

So much depth for the Comets this year. The competition to make the team will be steep. Nothing like competition to inspire and motivate pro athletes.

Looks like a good balance of vets and rookies. Should be a very good season in Utica. :towel:

It is hard to imagine that it took fan +40 years to get a AHL franchise. I remember a Gillis quote after the purchase that they had been trying for years. Cannot be stressed enough what Utica can offer Van in the way of player development but also org development. Van can sign players to AHL contracts to escape the 50 contract limit in the NHL. It is a nice depth option and a nice opportunity for players on the

edge. ie Roussell in Dallas was AHL Chicago Wolves property who got away. Might have been a opportunity

for players like him in Utica. From a org point of view management development goes beyond Travis Green to all facets of running a team. I am more excited about Utica than I was with the Moose. The Moose were a very well ran AHL team but Van did not own. The Wolves were lost seasons for Van development.

With Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Kenins, and Zalewski joining the forward group next year there just isn't any room for older vets.

Utica is going to be an exciting team next year. They should make the playoffs next year considering they might have last year if it wasn't for their terrible start.

Archived