The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2013-14 Utica Comets Thread.

avelanch

Utica Comets

Comets have announced they have signed goaltender Mathieu Corbiel.

Corbeil, 21, spent the 2012-13 season with the Central Hockey League’s Missouri Mavericks where he posted a 2.69 goals-against average, with a 0.915 save percentage, in 21 games. In November, he received the CHL's Goaltender of the Week award.

Before the CHL, Corbeil played in the Quebec Major Junior League (QMJHL), where he was part of a goaltending tandem that won the Memorial Cup during the 2010-11 season, as a member of the Saint John Sea Dogs. In 2011-12 season, Corbeil posted a sensational 37-10-1 record and 2.38 GAA en route to a QMJHL Championship and a spot on the Second Team All-Star roster. He was also honored with the QMJHL's “Jacques Plante Trophy”, given to the goaltender with the best goals-against average that year.

The 6’6”, 190-pound native of Montreal, Quebec was drafted in the fourth round (102nd overall), in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft by the Columbus Blue Jackets.

1004478_184707278372192_2111784935_n.jpg

Only 21, and a past 4th round pick - could be some potential there. Interesting that he is following the Canucks farm team, especially the minor league depth we have.

I'm guessing the Comets will go with Lack/Eriksson starting Corbiel backing up and Cannata in ECHL to get more ice time?

Only 21, and a past 4th round pick - could be some potential there. Interesting that he is following the Canucks farm team, especially the minor league depth we have.

I'm guessing the Comets will go with Lack/Eriksson starting Corbiel backing up and Cannata in ECHL to get more ice time?

something like that. whichever one of lack/Erikson don't play backup to Lou will be starting on the Comets, with Corbiel playing backup. Then Cannata getting the lions share of games in the ECHL and coming up for starter relief duty if an injury occurs.

i think corbiel should go down to the ECHL, do a 1a and 1b with cannata and lack/eriksson. cannata is a better goaltender than corbiel.

i originally thought the same, but we all know how the 1a/1b thing turned out in van city, probably not the best thing to repeat that again.

Really don't understand why we're signing players who are barely good enough to be in the AHL.

Didn't the Canucks get a farm team so that they could play their own players?

Why sign guys who will take spots from our prospects, and who aren't as good.

Cannata>>Corbeil

Sauve>>Negrin

Really don't understand why we're signing players who are barely good enough to be in the AHL.

Didn't the Canucks get a farm team so that they could play their own players?

Why sign guys who will take spots from our prospects, and who aren't as good.

Cannata>>Corbeil

Sauve>>Negrin

they need players signed to step in in case of injury.

Don Cherry just posted on twitter that the Canucks hired Travis Green as coach for Utica...I may be behind on the times but is this confirmed?

yeah, your at least a week late on that one.

Edit 9 days. It was announced on the 11th

293bfb93cbac086b911848c41dc9a6a5_normal.jpegRob Sanderson ‏@DropThePuckWHTK

Important question: Will the @UticaComets have #chickenriggies for a media meal this season when the Amerks visit? #askingforafriend

cb9706b2ed283a5163495bfccbe28d35_normal.pngUtica Comets ‏@UticaComets

@DropThePuckWHTK Depends, do you guys provide #GarbagePlates when the #Comets visit? #AskingForAFriendAlso

comets twitter trash talking the amerks radio guy.

from what i gather, chicken riggies is chicken rigatoni...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived