The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks get ripped in Province Letter To Editors

J529

I agree. The '94 team had that, "Cinderella," thing about 'em, didn't they. So close, yet so far, but well remembered by those who were witness to that special time. Lost by a goal and came so close to tying it up by fractions on an inch.

I think the present day Canucks played their hearts and asses off the past 2 playoff seasons. You can see in the post game interviews that they, especially after the 4th game sweep, the disappointment on their faces. Sure, the results weren't what we or they wanted, but life goes on.

I've heard it said that the present 2013 version of the Canucks are just as good a team as the 2011 SCF's team. IMHO, not so. It is my opinion that the post 2011 SCF Canucks management didn't do enough to bolster the excellent 2011-2012 roster. All they needed was a goal scoring winger and perhaps an enforcer type. 2011 SCF defense was fine. Sure, they'd have probably been rental, but who cares. The addition of a player of that talent level along with the 2011 roster would've killed. Look who was available at the time;

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010/06/01/2011-unrestricted-nhl-free-agents/

Oh yeah...Marco Sturm was a great addition........

I say no more. Living in the past is bad for you!

Agreed,Nexus.

Professionals reach the apex of any sport because of effort ,skill and determination.

"I think the present day Canucks played their hearts and asses off the past 2 playoff seasons. You can see in the post game interviews that they, especially after the 4th game sweep, the disappointment on their faces. Sure, the results weren't what we or they wanted, but life goes on." Nexus Rift

Heart = Work Ethic.

The term is used in hockey circles all the time by people that clearly have a greater understanding of hockey than you do.

I just walked out of a meeting this morning with BCHL and Central Scouting staff and any idea what we chatted about? Teams that play with more Heart.

Heart=Work Ethic=Determination=Playing with Urgency=Playing Selfless

Irrelevant. the 1994 team have absolutley nothing to do with the current make up of the Vancouver Canucks. I'm not even sure why he brought up the 94 Canucks. As far as I know, back the officiating was much better then nowadays. I'm also not sure why the CAnucks are being ripped. VAncouver Canucks is by far still by far the most successful Canadian team since the previous lockout. If anything should be ripped, he should be ripping the Canadians that are looking at us from below.

I don't think it is a lack of heart. It is the coaches job to motivate the players and get them ready to play along with making adjustments to coaching strategies and lineups.

People forget aside from the x's and o's the main job of a coach is to provide leadership, inspiration, and direction to the team.

Bieksa wants to get his mind in the game.

He is becoming an arrogant sod who treats every physical contact like a blood feud to the extent that he is constantly caught out of position chasing someone for payback. He needs to calm down and play smart.

He is a big player for this team but only when he concentrates and keeps his temper under control. Oh and he is too small for the first line imo.

"But...But the Sharks whined and took more dives than the Canucks that series!"

- Canucks Fans whining about whining and diving.

Face it, the Canucks dive and whine a lot. Bieksa whining to the media was embarrassing. They need to suck it up and play regardless of whining about what the other team is doing.

I would kill for another Lunch Pail crew like '94....Well, plus a Bure, too ;)

Ah. The good old "heart" argument. An argument used by ignorant, delusional people who don't have any proof to back up their argument.

"The 1994 team had more heart! They played with grit!"

No. If the '94 team had won the Presidents Trophy or won the division YOU WOULDN'T BE TALKING ABOUT THEM LIKE THEY WON THE STANLEY CUP AND WERE BETTER THAN THE 2011 TEAM.

Because then you would have all these expectations on them and you'd come out disappointed when they didn't win.

Get that in your head.

He's right. Look at the Canucks and Leafs this year.

The Leafs almost beat the Bruins - and they did it with integrity, guts and a lot of heart.

Bruins still doing their cheap shot garbage and Chara may be the biggest man in the NHL but he's also the leader when it comes to whining.

I watched most of that series and the Leafs have new found respect from me and probably a lot of people in Canada and the US.

If it wasn't for their shoddy defense coughing up the puck so many times, they would have won.

No...I'm not becoming a Leafs fan....but how they played is how I wish the Canucks played - like they did in 1994.

His whining and moaning makes me have no respect for him or his opinion.

I don't buy into the "fans" who write it like this because the team stopped diving/whining (at the refs) in a concentrated effort. Those spewing this stuff are about a year or two behind, meaning they likely don't even watch.

Sure OK, Darrin who's likely trying to push his writing career by writing a piece of gargabe that has people (like me) Google your lame self. Don't lie - you don't watch hockey, you watch dog shows.

Heretic: you do know they had a total meltdown and let in 4 goals to give away a sure series win? Seems they got ahead of themselves and had that win in their pocket before the time ran out. I, too, cheered hard for them (what? I did?) and really loved how hard they fought...but they packed it in too early. So they really can't be compared in a "they are better than us" way in my view.

"But...But the Sharks whined and took more dives than the Canucks that series!"

- Canucks Fans whining about whining and diving.

Face it, the Canucks dive and whine a lot. Bieksa whining to the media was embarrassing. They need to suck it up and play regardless of whining about what the other team is doing.

As much as I love Burrows as a never take a shift off guy, if we traded Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, and Lappy, the Canucks would have a totally different reputation and image. Problem is 3 of those 4 have NTC's. And Lappy is a useful and skilled 4th liner.

My hopes are pinned with our yutes. (My Cousin Vinny reference)

Kassian, Lain, Corrado, Tanev, Guance, Mallet, and Jensen, hopefully will be solid NHL'ers.

I'm ok with a total rebuild. With the lack of effort the last playoff series says that this team needs a new direction, and needs some younger players who are hungry to win. Will work hard. And play a complete game.

His whining and moaning makes me have no respect for him or his opinion.

I don't buy into the "fans" who write it like this because the team stopped diving/whining (at the refs) in a concentrated effort. Those spewing this stuff are about a year or two behind, meaning they likely don't even watch.

Sure OK, Darrin who's likely trying to push his writing career by writing a piece of gargabe that has people (like me) Google your lame self. Don't lie - you don't watch hockey, you watch dog shows.

Heretic: you do know they had a total meltdown and let in 4 goals to give away a sure series win? Seems they got ahead of themselves and had that win in their pocket before the time ran out. I, too, cheered hard for them (what? I did?) and really loved how hard they fought...but they packed it in too early. So they really can't be compared in a "they are better than us" way in my view.

I think the main reason that the league views us this way is perpetuated by our own fans. We complain the most when our players dive and yet when we play a team that dives all over the ice we complain the most about how our players complain about the diving. I have never seen a fan base hate on their team as much as we do.

So essentially when we dive and we are called out on it from the other team then we are condemned as divers but when the other team dives and we call them out on it then we are a bunch of whiners. So the teams only way to satisfy fans is to not draw penalties and take all the punishment, deal with all the diving of the other team without saying a word and play short handed all the time while winning every game.

Archived