The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovie calls out league for Bias / Poor Reffing

OVECHKIN TAKES ISSUE WITH OFFICIATING IN SERIES WITH RANGERS

The Washington Capitals were obviously frustrated by their 5-0 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series and perhaps no one was more vocal about it than Alexander Ovechkin.

In an interview with Slava Malamud of the Russian newspaper Sport-Express after the game on Monday night, Ovechkin didn't hide his displeasure with the officiating and even took it up to another level.

"I am not saying there was a phone call from (the league), but someone just wanted Game 7," he told the paper.

"For the ratings. You know, the lockout, escrow, the league needs to make profit. I don't know whether the refs were predisposed against us or the league. But to not give obvious penalties (against the Capitals), while for us any little thing was immediately penalized."

The Capitals had 16 power play chances over the seven games compared to 28 for the Rangers, while Washington had no chances in Game 6.

"The refereeing - You understand it yourself," said Ovechkin. "How can there be no penalties at all during the playoffs?"

Ovechkin was held off scoreless for the final five games of the first round series and was held to a single shot on goal in Game 7. He had just one goal and one assist in the series.

We tend to see it from Canuck's fan's eyes and even then we all know there has been bias.

scf 2011

the series vs chicago

the series vs SJ this year

sometimes its just bad luck/reffing, sometimes you wonder.

I watch alot of hockey and i concur with Ovie, and I think most hockey fans would. The NHL has the worst officiating in all of pro sports. We seldom hear of NFL/NBA/MLB refs determining outcomes do we? Why? because they do their job and stay in the shadows.

As many fans/pundits say, when you notice a ref in a game, it means he's not doing his job. We notice the refs all too often in hockey and the problem is the league accepts the garbage.

I watched the leaf game last night. As usual, the bruins get away with garbage. Marchand trips Reimer behind the net, no call. JVR has his nose broken by an elbow no call, Lupul is crosschecked into the net, then punched by rask with his blocker and chara and no calls.

Imagine if Burrows or Lapierre pulled any ONE of those on a player? lol...God forbid. I felt for the leafs last night because it reminded me of all the crap the nucks took vs boston.

I understand letting teams play but there are rules, you can't ignore them, and the refs seem to choose to ignore them for certain teams and not others, that is obvious.

Interesting who's left in the playoffs hey?

California vs California

Detroit (struggling but key franchise) vs. Chicago

New York vs. Boston

Pitts vs Ottawa

One Canadian team, and the rest seem to be very important markets for the good ol USA!

Makes you wonder...

We tend to see it from Canuck's fan's eyes and even then we all know there has been bias.

scf 2011

the series vs chicago

I watch alot of hockey and i concur with Ovie, and I think most hockey fans would. The NHL has the worst officiating in all of pro sports. We seldom hear of NFL/NBA/MLB refs determining outcomes do we? Why? because they do their job and stay in the shadows.

As many fans/pundits say, when you notice a ref in a game, it means he's not doing his job. We notice the refs all too often in hockey and the problem is the league accepts the garbage.

I watched the leaf game last night. As usual, the bruins get away with garbage. Marchand trips Reimer behind the net, no call. JVR has his nose broken by an elbow no call, Lupul is crosschecked into the net, then punched by rask with his blocker and chara and no calls.

Imagine if Burrows or Lapierre pulled any ONE of those on a player? lol...God forbid. I felt for the leafs last night because it reminded me of all the crap the nucks took vs boston.

I understand letting teams play but there are rules, you can't ignore them, and the refs seem to choose to ignore them for certain teams and not others, that is obvious.

California vs California

New York vs. Boston

Pitts vs Ottawa

One Canadian team, and the rest seem to be very important markets for the good ol USA!

Makes you wonder...

scf 2011

the series vs chicago

California vs California

New York vs. Boston

Pitts vs Ottawa

Makes you wonder...

scf 2011

the series vs chicago

California vs California

New York vs. Boston

Pitts vs Ottawa

Makes you wonder...

need more players speaking out against these refs because at the end of the day the cup final is going to be tainted because of these amateur refs

its through every series every game missed offsides missed icings faceoffs in the wrong spot puck hitting the netting and play continuing

I think the fact that there is NO accountability on the part of the refs, gives me very little hope that things will get better.

Every year, more and more hard core canadian hockey fans are being permanently de-passionated by biased officiating, only to give temporary amusement to apathetic american fans. What a joke.

Death to Gary Bettman. Death I say.

Archived