The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 Memorial Cup

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not sold that Jones is the smart choice. Chances are pretty good that Stastny walks/isn't resigned after next season. Plus after that whole contract debacle the writing is pretty much on the wall that O'Reilly has to go the moment they can trade him. That leaves them pretty thin on offense and with only one top 6 center. Unless Jones plays like an immediate saviour that leaves them with both a bad defense and offense in 14/15. At least with Mackinnon while the D will be awful they'll still have something resembling a good top 6 in a year.

Track record for Defencemens going 1st overall is not impressive at all. Only a few of them actually made a decent career, Jovanovski and Roman Hamrlik. The rest are duds, and other players have ended up being better then that dman, that was drafted number 1.

I'm not sure what I think Colorado will do. On one hand, their defense this year was absolutely TERRIBLE, but they've got some decent prospects (Siemens, Barrie, Elliot), plus Johnson is decent and has potential still. But Jones would really put the icing on top as a franchise d-man. On the other hand Mackinnon has definitely shown up this Memorial Cup, but I'm not sure i would classify him as a big-game player just yet because of his misuse in the WJC so we didn't get to see how he did against tougher compteition. But Duchene is going to be a stud, and im not sure if they'll be super eager to trade O'Reilly away, especially if they get rid of Stastny. But either way, the Avs will have a great player on their hands.

Archived