Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Memorial Cup

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

Poll: 2013 Memorial Cup (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the 2013 Memorial Cup?

1. Portland - WHL (7 votes [16.28%])

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

2. Saskatoon - WHL (host) (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

3. London - OHL (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

4. Halifax - QMJHL (26 votes [60.47%])

Percentage of vote: 60.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Overall one of the most skilled Memorial Cups I have ever seen! Amazing!
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#92 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

No kidding, great games.

That Frk kid has got a hell of a shot. I was impressed by him all tourney.

MariOta_zps5d129115.jpg

#93 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I was there for every game and that line for Halifax with Drouin-Mckinnon-Frk. Hands Down...Best Line I have ever seen in Junior Hockey. Amazing, when ever they were on the ice I was on the edge of my seat
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#94 French Toast Mafia

French Toast Mafia

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Halifax and Portland sure put on two of the most exciting games during this memorial cup when they faced each other (Saskatoon vs Halifax was also an excellent game).

#95 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Honestly I thought the only dissapointing game of the Memorial Cup this year was the London/Halifax team when the Mooseheads completed a dominant performance winning 9-2. Other then that ever other game was solid this year
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#96 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

i think the games just kept getting better. Semi-Final and Finals were the best games.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#97 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Agreed! The Semi-Final was great, and the Final was that and then some! In the Round Robin very tough to say which game was the overall best because I thought Halifax/Saskatoon was entertaining, of course Halifax/Portland, and London/Portland when Domi made that sensational pass between the legs! We were treated to one of the best Memorial Cups this year in Saskatoon thats for sure
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#98 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,867 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

I would be surprised if Colorado takes MacKinnon over Jones based on his performance. To me, they need a franchise D, which is possibly Jones

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#99 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,020 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Track record for Defencemens going 1st overall is not impressive at all. Only a few of them actually made a decent career, Jovanovski and Roman Hamrlik. The rest are duds, and other players have ended up being better then that dman, that was drafted number 1.

Jones might be safer pick, but Mackinnon is going to be an NHl all star in the making. This guy literally took over the the series himself. What an amazing tournament. I think too much hype into Jones going number 1 ovearll. I'm still not convinced hes the best player in the draft. Even a portland fan when on record saying he doesn't know why Jones is a number 1 pick. He knows he's good , but not number 1 material good.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#100 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

For Colorado the smart choice would be Jones for the sake that their back end isn't the greatest but it will be tough to not choose Mackinnon after his performance at the Memorial Cup
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#101 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Very skilled players, I enjoyed watching the whole game. Could see Colorado getting MacKinnon after his performance.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#102 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

For Colorado the smart choice would be Jones for the sake that their back end isn't the greatest but it will be tough to not choose Mackinnon after his performance at the Memorial Cup

Franchise D-man, or superstar scorer?
Posted Image

#103 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm not sold that Jones is the smart choice. Chances are pretty good that Stastny walks/isn't resigned after next season. Plus after that whole contract debacle the writing is pretty much on the wall that O'Reilly has to go the moment they can trade him. That leaves them pretty thin on offense and with only one top 6 center. Unless Jones plays like an immediate saviour that leaves them with both a bad defense and offense in 14/15. At least with Mackinnon while the D will be awful they'll still have something resembling a good top 6 in a year.

rsz_avs.jpg

#104 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'm not sold that Jones is the smart choice. Chances are pretty good that Stastny walks/isn't resigned after next season. Plus after that whole contract debacle the writing is pretty much on the wall that O'Reilly has to go the moment they can trade him. That leaves them pretty thin on offense and with only one top 6 center. Unless Jones plays like an immediate saviour that leaves them with both a bad defense and offense in 14/15. At least with Mackinnon while the D will be awful they'll still have something resembling a good top 6 in a year.

They could also tank this year, and draft Ekblad next draft
Posted Image

#105 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Track record for Defencemens going 1st overall is not impressive at all. Only a few of them actually made a decent career, Jovanovski and Roman Hamrlik. The rest are duds, and other players have ended up being better then that dman, that was drafted number 1.

Take a closer look at some of the drafts where D were picked number 1 in, and you will actually find that those players went on to have relatively good careers compared to the top end forward talent selected. Almost all of the drafts since '92 where D was selected 1st were very weak drafts all around.

In '92 Roman Hamrlik has had a better career than any forward drafted in the 1st round, possible exception for Yashin (2nd) who was certainly a much better player.
In '94 Jovo was picked 1st, and the next forward to rival his career success was 6th pick Ryan Smyth.
In '95 Bryan Berard went 1st, and had it not been for his injury, he would have undoubtedly been one of the best players out of that draft. Even with it, the only forwards picked in the 1st round to have better careers are Shane Doan (7th) and Jarome Iginla (12th).

In '96 Chris Phillips went 1st overall and he has definitely had the best career up until 24th pick Danny Briere.
Of course Johnson in '06 does look like it was a poor pick.

Honestly, the track record for D going 1st overall in a draft is not that bad if you compare it to the success of forward talent in the same draft. In fact, Jovo, Berard, and Phillips (3 of 5 1st overall D) all had much better careers than any of the forwards who went in the top 5 of the draft, and Hamrlik over Yashin may not have been a bad choice either.

Edited by Jägermeister, 27 May 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#106 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Either Way they are going to get a great player! Its just a matter of what direction they want to go in.
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#107 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Franchise D-man, or superstar scorer?

Duchene has the potential

#108 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

The Portland top line had over 350 points alone not to mention Halifax. You would have to go back along ways, or put great stock into one or two individuals on a team, to find a game with this much skilled depth. This was as good as it gets in the Memorial cup, I think.
I just hope it comes to Kamloops and its ~5000 seats.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#109 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,867 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Very skilled players, I enjoyed watching the whole game. Could see Colorado getting MacKinnon after his performance.

I doubt the Avs are really going to change their pick based on a few games. They need to choose the player who matches their roster needs

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#110 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 27,414 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

I doubt the Avs are really going to change their pick based on a few games. They need to choose the player who matches their roster needs

I thought you draft best player available, not best player to fit your needs?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#111 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm not sure what I think Colorado will do. On one hand, their defense this year was absolutely TERRIBLE, but they've got some decent prospects (Siemens, Barrie, Elliot), plus Johnson is decent and has potential still. But Jones would really put the icing on top as a franchise d-man. On the other hand Mackinnon has definitely shown up this Memorial Cup, but I'm not sure i would classify him as a big-game player just yet because of his misuse in the WJC so we didn't get to see how he did against tougher compteition. But Duchene is going to be a stud, and im not sure if they'll be super eager to trade O'Reilly away, especially if they get rid of Stastny. But either way, the Avs will have a great player on their hands.

#112 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I thought you draft best player available, not best player to fit your needs?

hasnt been a great thing in Van. We have some studs but in high draft pick years we got our studs.
Id like to draft the toughest player in the draft for a change.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.