The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is the NHL not posting which referees are in the second round?

cresentmoon

it seems that in past years the NHL announces the referees that will work each round before the round begins. This year i can find nothing . the NHL has brow beaten news papers to not list refs working the games in the box score they have taken the names off the refs jerseys now not even announcing who is working ?

no wonder referees across the league are so awful no accountability .

Some of those refs like Sutherland are really despicable, total scumbags. They totally abuse their authority and show bias to whoever team or players they dislike. Personal vendetta's, grudges, acting arbitrarily, vindictive behavior... all the worst qualities a ref can have, they have. And they get away with it. Zero accountability.

Sad that this is the only punishment the NHL is willing to dish out to unjust referees that taint the integrity of the league. Sit them for a few rounds.

I won't be surprised if the Sharks get swept in the 2nd round now without their 6th and 7th man on the ice.

What I still don't understand about this scum bag Sutherland is why is he so anti canucks... he lived here... and I think he grew up here. why would he hate his home town??

Idc that he isn't in the second round... what's important is that he was in the first round and put the dagger in the heart of nux fans

It's so frustrating to see that our favourite league has become laughable.

When oh when will somebody kill Bettman?!?!?!

Seriously, where is a suicide bomber when you need one?

I'm not kidding, I wish he dies very soon, and we get our league back.

It's so frustrating to see that our favourite league has become laughable.

When oh when will somebody kill Bettman?!?!?!

Seriously, where is a suicide bomber when you need one?

I'm not kidding, I wish he dies very soon, and we get our league back.

It's a pretty pointless gesture to keep Sutherland out of the second round if they are doing so because he behaved unprofessionally unless they also state as much publicly and then actually do something to address the current reffing culture that makes that acceptable. Otherwise, they're doing nothing more than sweeping the problem under the rug yet again, all but ensuring it will continue in the future. Sweeping it under the rug didn't work with Auger and it won't work with Sutherland or any other ref who feels they can use their position to further outside or personal agendas.

People like to pretend Vancouver is the only team that has had problems with refs, but that's far from true. In fact, we weren't even the team with the biggest beef against Auger. After Burrows made his allegations, he got fined but Auger didn't get anything other than kept from working the playoffs. The very next year, however, he (along with the other on ice officials) was accused by the NYI of purposefully effecting the outcome of a game with unfair reffing.

The big brouhaha with the NYI followed their OT loss in a March 12, 2011 game in which they receive 4 fewer PP opportunities than NJ thanks to what they said was unfair officiating. Several NYI players accused him (and the other on ice officials) of purposefully effecting the outcome of the game. Apparently, the Islanders got only 11-seconds of PP time in the entire game.

"I tried to talk to [Auger] because they had some guys who were saying things to Cappy," Nielsen told the newspaper. "I've never seen that before, a guy talking to the other team's coach. So I went over to [Auger] to just let him know that this wasn't right, and he kind of lost it on me, told me to get lost.

Went back 5 years - this is the earliest he's been demoted from the playoffs. Clearly the league was not a fan of him in the 1st round.

Sidenote, a tweet from Alan Strachan (@winsford99) today:

Tweeter: Do you think NHL is fixing games through calls / non-calls to suit their own needs?

@winsford99: That's too complex for twitter

Tweeter: I agree. I'd love to hear your opinion some day. I have crazy theories that seem almost sane.

@winsford99: You missed Bos-Van

Tweeter: Al - you feel there was something going on in Bos - Van. Think any others notice but say nothing?

@winsford99: I think others notice but if they speak out they're accused of whining.

Strachan's profile: "Hockey Hall of Fame hockey writer, now retired. Longtime panelist on HNIC's Hot Stove and columnist over the years with Globe and Mail and Toronto Sun"

Archived