The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev - a potential offer sheet target?

Thanks for giving other teams this great idea Province writer Jamieson!

Isn't that great, perfect candidate for the reset/rebuild, young reliable Dman and we might not be able to afford him because of Ballard, Booth, and Luongo ... can someone fire MG already!

$3 million would be way too much, even more so if it's 3.36.

To put things in perspective here..... Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell signed with the Canucks for 3.5 million when they were still around. And they were top pairing guys. I know the cap has went up since, but no way Tanev is worth that much.

While it would suck to lose Tanev, having Corrado as the top defensive prospect isn't a bad thing. Eventually the NHL-ready prospects will need NHL roster spots. You can't just leave them in the minors like a cupboard.

Gillis is going to have to go to Aquilini and beg on his knees for $8.4m to buy out Ballard and $8.4 to buy out Booth. Then he's going to crawl back and say, "Francesco, one more thing, I need you to pay AV's contract because people are crying for someone's head and I'll need about $7.5m to hire a new coach for 3 years." Then he will have to crawl back one more time and ask if he can have another $8m to offset Luongo's contract at $1m/yr so we can move him.

I hope to God Aquilini says, 'You're fired, have AV drive you to the airport.'

Just wait until someone offer sheets Cory Schneider in a couple of years--will he get a pay raise from the 4.0-million a season he now makes? Even under our present constraints, with trading away Luongo, buying out Booth and Ballard, I do not think we will not be able to afford to keep him. It will come down to either keeping Daniel and Henrik or choosing Cory. The fact is you have to love management decisions.

Just wait until someone offer sheets Cory Schneider in a couple of years--will he get a pay raise from the 4.0-million a season he now makes? Even under our present constraints, with trading away Luongo, buying out Booth and Ballard, I do not think we will not be able to afford to keep him. It will come down to either keeping Daniel and Henrik or choosing Cory. The fact is you have to love management decisions.

Ryan Mcdonagh, Travis Hamonic, Slava Voynov, Cody Franson, Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Pietrangelo, Paul Postma, Zachary Bogosian, Karl Alzner, Kris Russel, Ian Cole, David Rundblad, Patrick Wiercoch, Roman Josi, Jonathan Blum, Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez, Nick Leddy, TJ Brodie.

That's a lot of quality young RFA dmen currently available, hopefully Tanev flies under the radar :)

Archived