The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev - a potential offer sheet target?

No way I would pay 3.3 for what Tanev brings. He's a guy who is going to suffer a lot of long term injuries because he can't seem to avoid getting crushed in his own end. His lack of physicality and offense also make him worth no more than 1.3-1.8 a year right now. No part of his game is overwhelmingly good. He is steady, but that's about it.

I think Voynov may get that kind of salary, since his scoring warrants it (he was at triple Tanev's pace). Edler got $3.25M for his RFA deal, and he scored 42 points in 76 games (similar to Slava)! Unless our other expensive salaries get moved out there's no way we should consider matching that, since we'd just be handcuffing ourselves salary-wise.

Nothing against Chris but safe plays alone shouldn't lead to that big of a raise, especially considering how tight our budget is. We should spend more up front, not on an already-stacked defense. Honestly, CDC would flip if someone on our bottom pair earned $3.36M but didn't play physically OR put up many points.

I wouldn't go over $2M per, if even that high.

I agree the kid is going to be a stud but hasnt proven to be the whole package yet. he's just a kid with potential.I know he will be in 2-3 yrs but potential doesnt always pan out!and you can have hope or a sniff of a dream but take a look at the other mistakes to consider, Lou, Ballard, Booth, and the other way grabner

I think Tanev is a bit over valued by Nuck fans. At 23, he hasn't really improved his muscle mass, resulting in him being easily pushed off the puck or decked by opposing players. He is still a young and sound dman, but I don't see him moving up to the top 4 anytime soon. On the other hand, I think Corrado will pass him in the upcoming years. Frank seems to have the body type and demeanor that will evolve into a top 4 and he is a few years younger than Chris.

IMO, I would like to see Chris re-signed for no more than 1.5 for two years.

I think Tanev at this point deserves no more than 1.5 mil a year, to pay him more would affect other players we could get this year while still staying under the cap limit. Let's hope he knows that he has to work harder for that kind of pay and that he values being a Vancouver Canuck, because I do like him and enjoy having him on our team.

Just wait until someone offer sheets Cory Schneider in a couple of years--will he get a pay raise from the 4.0-million a season he now makes? Even under our present constraints, with trading away Luongo, buying out Booth and Ballard, I do not think we will not be able to afford to keep him. It will come down to either keeping Daniel and Henrik or choosing Cory. The fact is you have to love management decisions.

I think Tanev is a bit over valued by Nuck fans. At 23, he hasn't really improved his muscle mass, resulting in him being easily pushed off the puck or decked by opposing players. He is still a young and sound dman, but I don't see him moving up to the top 4 anytime soon. On the other hand, I think Corrado will pass him in the upcoming years. Frank seems to have the body type and demeanor that will evolve into a top 4 and he is a few years younger than Chris.

IMO, I would like to see Chris re-signed for no more than 1.5 for two years.

mmm if any teams offer him 3 million id let him walk cap space issues most id give him is 1.7 other wise take a pick and sign a freeagent the fact that we have 5 dmen making 4mill plus should be cut down to 2or 3 edler bieska should be traded the coaches fired and ballard should finally get a chance in top four

hamhuis garrison

ballard corrado

freeagent d 1.5 mill tanev 1.7

edler and bieska gone would free up 6.4 mill cap space with the other d signings included

I think that Tanev will not get anywhere near what people are thinking. He has a handful of hits in his entire career. Way less than one a game. He has little offensive production. I hate advanced statistics but he's not even that strong on those numbers. Doesn't give the puck away much but also hardly ever takes it away. I guess he's a good, reliable stay at home guy but he isn't a minute eater and lacks lots of tools that are very important for a big minute guy.

I think everyone likes him because it's a good signing by Gillis but is he really worth that much? Would he fetch much more than a second round pick and would that even be a bad return for a college free agent?

I'm a big fan of Chris Tanev but the bolded statement represents part of what I'd call the "Myth of Tanev" that many Canucks fans have bought into.

I'd summarize Tanev's success with defensive partners as the following:

2012-13: Significant minutes played with Ballard, Edler, and Alberts. Ballard-Tanev was a successful pairing. When they played together, Ballard's performance (and resulting stats) was lifted significantly over his play without Tanev, while Tanev's stats took a slight hit from playing with Ballard. Edler-Tanev was an unmitigated disaster. When playing together, both Edler and Tanev saw their numbers take dramatic hits (while the opposition profited significantly). There was no worse pairing for the Canucks in 2012-13. Albert-Tanev was quite successful. Tanev's overall performance was modestly improved alongside Alberts while Alberts gained greatly from his time with Tanev.

2011-12: Significant minutes played with Hamhuis and Rome. Hamhuis-Tanev put-up amazing overall stats as a pairing (zero goals against and dominated on Corsi). Both players were improved by playing together (compared to that season's play without each other). Rome-Tanev were steady together. Rome was slightly better than replacement with Tanev, while Tanev took a drop from partnering with Rome.

2010-11: Significant minutes played with Ballard and Rome. Ballard-Tanev was a successful 5v5 pairing with excellent GF% and CF% (goals-for and Corsi-for percentages). However, the stats actually suggest that Tanev gained more of a steadying effect from Ballard than the reverse. Tanev played about half the season with Ballard and half without him. With Ballard, Tanev's on-ice 5v5 GA20 (goals-against per 20 minutes) was a stingy 0.217. Without Ballard, Tanev was on-ice for 1.036 GA20. Tanev, however, did help to lower Ballard's Corsi-against stats. Rome-Tanev was pretty much awful that season, surrendering nearly twice as many GA as GF, when they played together. Both players had far better seasons in their minutes played without each other.

So, overall, in Chris Tanev's time with the Canucks, he's been successful with Ballard, Alberts, and Hamhuis; he's been a mixed bag with Rome, and he's been Gawd-awful with Edler. He's also played less significant minutes with the other Ds (small samples) and has had mixed results. He's an excellent young defenseman who plays a safe, solid, defensive game and is successful more often than not with his various partners on the Canucks D. However, he's not perfect and he's had games and stretches where he's struggled during every season he's played for the Canucks. Tanev is not the "magic bullet" for consistency on D.

As far as the most consistent (and best) defenseman for the 2012-13 Canucks, Jason Garrison gets my vote (and the numbers--both traditional and advanced stats, scoring and underlying defensive numbers--back this up strongly). And that's no slight against Tanev.

As fans, we love players who exceed expectations and Tanev has certainly done that. However, he's enjoying a bit of a Cinderella run right now with the fanbase and hopefully he doesn't suffer for it when the rose-coloured glasses come off. I can remember a certain late-drafted young Swede who also exceeded expectations on the Canucks defense and has a pretty long run as a fan favourite. After a while, the tables certainly turned on that guy. Hopefully Tanev is spared from that (and I think being a little more realistic about him in the present might help how he's viewed in the future).

One final note about Tanev: over the last couple seasons, he's second only to Alex Edler (amongst the Canucks' D) for putting up significantly worse stats (5v5 on-ice) in front of Schneider compared to Luongo (details inside spoiler).

2012-13

with Schneider: 0.540 GF20, 0.600 GA20, 47.4 GF%, 16.02 CF20, 15.36 CA20, 51.1 CF%

with Luongo: 0.681 GF20, 0.381 GA20, 66.7 GF%, 17.38 CF20, 15.42 CA20, 53.0 CF%

2011-12

with Schneider: 0.594 GF20, 0.594 GA20, 50.0 GF%, 19.26 CF20, 15.57 CA20, 55.3 CF%

with Luongo: 1.038 GF20, 0.283 GA20, 78.6 GF%, 20.11 CF20, 16.90 CA20, 54.3 CF%

I've yet to be able to fully resolve a reasoning behind these differerences but those stats give me a certain measure of unease when considering Tanev's future with Schneider as the starter. Thankfully, this phenomenon is (on D) confined to Tanev and Edler (while others, especially Hamhuis, have better numbers with Schnedier than with Luongo in net).

Anyway, just a little extra something-something on Tanev...

I am a big fan of Tanev's, but agree with the above. Do we like him because he's calm and makes less mistakes than some of our other D ?? That doesn't mean he's the type of Dman we need or have to keep. He doesn't really have an offensive upside which we need and he lacks toughness. I'd hate to see him go, but I don't think he fits our vision.

Im not sure what you have been seeing but I havent seen Tanev get pushed off the puck all that much. And unless Im mistaken, his (team low - defence) in giveaways is proof of that. Tanev has already played in the top 4 and has improved the play of everyone he has played with.

Talk about over valuing players. I love Corrado, but he hasnt proven a thing yet. He has a ton of potential, but in no way is he at Tanevs level yet.

Edmonton has to really tread carefully here if they're planning on handing out these offer sheets. A lot of teams might be looking to repay the favor and make their lives difficult with their young players.

Im really hoping he stays. Gillis said that we need to get younger and Tanev is the first step. He is a great defensive d-man and rarely makes mistakes. He's consistent and our most reliable player.

I have a feeling we are going to buy out Ballard for sure and do something about Booth and Lou. Getting rid of those 3 would definitely lift some weight off of MG's shoulders (if he stays). A 2nd rounder isnt enough for a player with the potential that Tanev has. If we resigned him, id say

2.5-3M for maybe 4 years

Archived