The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This should give us cause for concern.....

Bodee

I've been saying this forever, way too many mid-level players on this team. I would rather get some skill in here and suppliment with younger/cheaper talent.

Let's see .. some folks can see nothing but negativity and some folks can only see the positive aspects .. those who dwell in the middle are largely ignored by the "prima donna" radical posters who propigate their own self-aggrandized "opinion" .. looking at life from the bottom of the glass must warp one's perspective eventually ..

Detroit has two dynamic "game change" players .. it appears we should have 3 minmum, but none performed up to their paychecks .. then compound that with less than stellar coaching at every level and you have the current Canucks .. changes MUST be made at all levels .. PERIOD ..

We now return you to your regularly scheduled whine-fest ..

Well Not like I have appreciated how some of Gillis's moves have turned out, I find it hard to speculate on our overall skill level when we play a "safe" AHL dump and chase game on most nights. And more often than not play at such an up and down level you have to wonder about our game preperation (We can play a high tempo hitting scoring game but often play soft and slow) I think this trends from AV changing lines every game and demoting players for mistakes... Everyone play is tentative and lacks chemistry

All in all If I was to point the finger at Gillis for anything it would be simply not getting it done in regards to the second line wingers and replacing Malholtra. I think our defense is adequate if not small, our third line of Higgins Hansen and Malholtra was gold (was until malholtra got hurt) Letting Torres go was a blunder as well...

I do not have any problems with the contracts he signed, obviously Ballard's does not equate with his performance, and Booth's lack of production makes his look bad...

MY opinion sits with the lack of legit top 6 forwards and not moving our problems, Ballard, Booth, Luongo and an overall lack of trust from the coaching staff stifling our creativity and morale.

Man, I didnt know Zetterberg made less than the Sedins. He hits and blocks shots too (4 and 3 in last night's game, respectively). What a bummer.

Hey Detroit is probably super cheap to live in compared to Vancouver. Does anyone think that might be a factor when it comes time to ink a contract?

I looked into this after watching how well the Detroit team performed last night. (I didn't think the score reflected the play by the way.)

3 Detroit players currently earning $4.0M. or more. Only 2 of those earning more than $5.0M

uTCiEVA.png

DZODepW.png

Vancouver have a 11 players earning $4.0M or more. 4 of those earning over $5.0M.

MMreIPs.png

Kg9ets0.png

The irony is when you watch the teams play, it looks like the other way round. How is this doing it the Detroit way.

Now when you watch the type of game teams play it becomes more alarming. One team Detroit plays puck possession (the game that puts you under most pressure as an individual player, especially in the playoffs) while Vancouver are forever dumping the puck. The "no trust in my players" system.

So not only are we overpaying our players, we seem to be paying them to NOT play hockey. Our passing (with the exception of the Sedins and Raymond) is dark ages compared to the other elite teams.

Conclusions.

MG has not understood the role of a General Manager, in fact he still seems to think he's a players agent.

AV has in fact done much better with these players and that system than they deserve. In fact it appears to me now that he has employed that negative system for the sole purpose of suiting a bottom heavy group of overpaid players.

Lastly, it appears to me that not only has our GM stitched us up with the Lu contract (which ironically I have no problem with because I still think he is the best) but worse still he has hung bloated contracts around the heads of most of our average players as well.

Look at the standings. We suffered far more injuries then Detroit and still got a divsion title. On top of that the last 3 years vancouver has generally performed much better then Detroit. Your once again taking a small sample over the big picture. Of course, i'm not defending the fact we played poorly this year, your right, but still. Detroit also gets free passes as for Vancouver we get destroyed by the refs. But once again I agree, we need to cut down some bad contracts.

So what you're telling us is Detroit's management is consistently amazing and our's isn't? Say it ain't so...

And to think, if the Canucks had won the Cup in 2011, Lu's contract could've been seen as a great loophole for giving Vancouver extra cap room to bolster the team that season.

Would take Pavel and Zetter at those numbers in a heartbeat over the twins.

hint: it's because kenny holland is one of the best in the game, and gillis is a joke.

i can't help but picture holland and the rest of the wings organization rolling their eyes and chuckling every time gillis compares the canucks to them.

Man, I didnt know Zetterberg made less than the Sedins. He hits and blocks shots too (4 and 3 in last night's game, respectively). What a bummer.

Hey Detroit is probably super cheap to live in compared to Vancouver. Does anyone think that might be a factor when it comes time to ink a contract?

Agree that Zetterberg>Sedin, however Zetterberg's contract is a 6m cap hit for 7 more years. He will be 40 when it expires.

Also, agree that it's probably cheaper to live in the gun murder capital of North America.

Mike Gillis isn't a good GM, other than Garrison and Hamhuis who are usefull to our team and Lapierre with Higgins that add depth to our team, what have he done to improve our team? Maybe Tanev and maybe Corrado but other than that, nothing, Luongo was here before he become our GM, guys like Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler and the Sedin, they are the keys of our succesfull seasons year after year, but all those guys was all in the system. That resume about the 5 years he have been here.

In his press conference after our lost against the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Final, he said "Now i know what we need to win a Cup and I'll make the change we need for that". I don't live in dream world, I know we can't buy a Stanley Cup and even if we get all the puzzle piece in place, we can't be 100% we'll win it and I'm fine with that. So what his our record playoffs? 1 - 8, usually when you have a team that should win the Cup, you aren't going to only play 9 f***king games in two years. Would have been in 2012 we lost agaisnt the Stanley Cup Champions, could I be fine with that, yeah BUT only if it was a really hard serie for the Kings, if it went in 7 and everyone of our lost was by one goals I wouldn't mind. It wasn't the case we lost in 5 quick games and we have won game #4 no because we have been awesome, the Kings drop that game like 99% of the team drop one after winning the 1st 3 games. This year it was a complete blowout.

For the 2011-12 season Mike Gillis mainly add Booth and Pahlsson, he didn't get the job done. For our season that end last week after four playoffs games, he bring Garrison, it took time for him to get his game on our team, like it is for every new player on a team and the shorter season haven't help him. By the end of the season I was fine with how he played and I'm pretty sure next season he will look great, but other than him, Gillis bring Derek Roy, yeah a good few flash but that's about all and he leave this summer.

What is the worst thing about our situation, Mike Gillis isn't as good as we think, all the thing he bring around the team are great, but all those kind of things are what an agent think about to help their players to be better, so what is the worst thing about our situation, Mike Gillis beeing a former agent, he know how to get what he want, so he'll meet the owner, talk about his new plan, say the right stuff and he still be the GM of our team.

You may be right, I saw a TV documentary recently that stated Detroit as being the gun murder capital... downtown Detroit looked pretty bad. Motown has turned into Slowtown economically speaking, it was a one industry town and suffered terribly when the industry went elsewhere.

Archived