The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis writes to season ticket holders, admits losing was unacceptable

elvis15

Yep, it's not NHL 13, it's a business.

And in the business of hockey if you fail to produce results 2 years in a row, your job security starts to come into question. Which is what's happening now.

All he's done in the last 2 years to try and improve this team is trading our best young player, trading away valuable draft picks for rental players, signing Garrison to a long term deal, and acquiring a plug fourth liner and a couple plug defensemen. Oh and acquiring an injury prone player that has done nothing here.

It hasn't been good enough. Not even close.

You're right. It's not NHL13.

Gillis is running a quarter of a billion dollar business, himself an executive making ten times what the prime minister is paid to navigate a "difficult"job. He is supposed to know the market and make decisions accordingly.

And he has known since he (reportedly) turned down a Carter for Schneider swap that Schneider was going to become our "go to"stopper. He has let command of the market slip considerably of his own judgement.

Just like he has screwed up in regards to Ballard; whom I dont blame Gillis for initially taking a risk on. But i do suggest should have cut his losses 2 years ago.

Gilis is an excited buyer. His real problem is spmetimes he buys too many of the same type of player (see our D core, goalie situation and glut of LW and worker not impact forwards). And MG can't bear to give them up when he should.

He said that in his 37 minute press conference... His job is very difficult. This isn't NHL 13 where you can just make any trade happen. You can call them excuses all you want... But just because you know what you need doesn't mean you can just go out and get it any time you want.

Yep, it's not NHL 13, it's a business.

And in the business of hockey if you fail to produce results 2 years in a row, your job security starts to come into question. Which is what's happening now.

All he's done in the last 2 years to try and improve this team is trading our best young player, trading away valuable draft picks for rental players, signing Garrison to a long term deal, and acquiring a plug fourth liner and a couple plug defensemen. Oh and acquiring an injury prone player that has done nothing here.

It hasn't been good enough. Not even close.

Hindsight is 20/20, and people on CDC sure love to act like they are geniuses when they can point out failures done in the past. I'm not going to argue that he has to put a better team out on the ice than he has, but I'm also not going to pretend like the team he iced shouldn't have had better results. He put together a better team than a first round sweep, and that failure rests on the players failure to show up and consequently on the coach. He took well thought out risks and they didn't work out. That's business.

You're right. It's not NHL13.

Gillis is running a quarter of a billion dollar business, himself an executive making ten times what the prime minister is paid to navigate a "difficult"job. He is supposed to know the market and make decisions accordingly.

And he has known since he (reportedly) turned down a Carter for Schneider swap that Schneider was going to become our "go to"stopper. He has let command of the market slip considerably of his own judgement.

Just like he has screwed up in regards to Ballard; whom I dont blame Gillis for initially taking a risk on. But i do suggest should have cut his losses 2 years ago.

Gilis is an excited buyer. His real problem is spmetimes he buys too many of the same type of player (see our D core, goalie situation and glut of LW amd worker be not impact forwards). And can't bear to give them up when he should.

Thanx

Yes i think MG knows he needs a power forward. He's tried Owen Nolan, Archibald, Shane Doan, Clowe, Kassian, Booth, drafted Gaunce, Mallet, Jensen... Perhaps more succesfully Samuelsson before he declined...

But at the deadline; does he have the nuts to move a Schneider, Edler or Lou who will fetch it? A Ballard for a draft pick or Raymond for a better fitting spare parts which at least afford him the cap room. He is happy to pay cash, but loses focus when it comes to players he can and should give up.

He only gave up Hodgson because he was snot nosed, and a nuisance to him. Even if you argue Kassian's potential offers us a fair return; I have argued since day one we received a prospect??? If Columbus needed out of Carter, wouldn't they have taken Hodgson if we wanted to keep Schneider?

Well said.

That last para, I like to call it loss of focus.

This was first brought home to me when he tried to "reclaim Owen Nolan" after Boston. He was a beast in his prime and if it had worked he would have been, at least for a season, what the Sedins needed.

But as we know it didn't work out and then Gillis just seemed to..........................drift onto other things entirely. It's one of his main problems for me. He either doesn't identify what the team really needs or when he does he is easily side-tracked and often just picks up anything available to look pro-active.

I am totally a happy clapper in the season.. Haha! But ya, I admit there's gotta be a different direction here.. I feel like we have let a couple of assets go who other teams are having much use for.... starting with Numbnuts and Cooke, but I digress..

also, i got an email to the fans from mike:

VC_Letterhead_800px_HEADER_REV2.jpg

To all Canucks fans,

Thank you for your passion and support for our team; it is an honour and a privilege to host and play in front of you. However, this season and the way it ended was a disappointment to all of us.

Everyone in our organization expects more – and we know you do as well. It is my responsibility as the leader of this organization to evaluate all aspects of our hockey club and find ways to improve. This off-season will lead to difficult decisions including roster adjustments and changes in personnel. We're going to have to reinvent ourselves in order to be successful.

On behalf of our entire organization, I thank you for your loyalty and assure you we will work as hard as we can to make you proud and to ultimately win the Stanley Cup.

Sincerely,

VC_Letterhead_600px_Gillis_Sig_REV.jpg

Michael D. Gillis

President & General Manager

Vancouver Canucks

WE ARE ALL CANUCKS

Hindsight is 20/20, and people on CDC sure love to act like they are geniuses when they can point out failures done in the past. I'm not going to argue that he has to put a better team out on the ice than he has, but I'm also not going to pretend like the team he iced shouldn't have had better results. He put together a better team than a first round sweep, and that failure rests on the players failure to show up and consequently on the coach. He took well thought out risks and they didn't work out. That's business.

Archived