The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hourly Wage Question

Horny Manatee

Honestly, this thread is perceived by people to be a thin-veiled attempt to flaunt your pay-check. Just because you say that 'you were never for the money' doesn't mitigate those thoughts.

$ 31 dollars is good money but I do know people who are paid much more than that. Just thought I'd put in this rather unnecessary tidbit of information, since you seem concerned about how much you are paid, considering you just said that you were 'never in it for the money'.

It is much too easy to compare yourself to another person. But it's different. I have a friend that is the same age as me that is making a very high 6 figure salary - not 100,000. He is/was much more talented at what he does, especially math, plus he worked hard for it. But the work is stressing him out ALL the time. He constantly has to update his expensive wardrobe and he seems to be a slave for the company. People pay you but you need to do the work.

The truth is, almost everyone has money on their minds, regardless of how much or how little it is. But ultimately, it is better to be paid less doing something that you want, rather than paid an obscene amount doing something that you don't like. Go and ask Alexandre Daigle. He was in it for the money - look where he is now.

Its not what you make, but what you do with it, I know quite a few people that make great money but have little to show for it.

The worst example is a friend of mine who works movie productions, is a day trader and does odd jobs on the side. He usually brings home at least $10K a month but is always overstretched financially, and that was before he had kids recently.

My dad is another one, $120 an hour, his fiance is a bank manager and he barely has money

Another friend makes almost double what I do and barely gets by, he just had a kid recently too.

All three of them I've had to bail out with a loan at one point, hey maybe I should become a loan shark!

That's pretty good.

When I was 25, my first daughter was 1 years old and my wife at the time was a waitress and I was working as a cashier at VCC - wasn't enough so I took a 1 year Computer Electronics program. In 1989 my IT career began as a cable puller for Canadian Airlines - I was making 1900 a month to start...didn't get to you salary until I moved to Calgary in 1999.

Now I make a pretty decent wage but have a lot of expenses...including paying off debt accumulated from moving back to BC...

I have no idea what 1999 dollars are to 2013...but I'd say you're doing pretty good for 25...

As a comparison, a brand new teacher with a 4 year degree starts at $43,790 per year here in BC...

Its not what you make, but what you do with it, I know quite a few people that make great money but have little to show for it.

The worst example is a friend of mine who works movie productions, is a day trader and does odd jobs on the side. He usually brings home at least $10K a month but is always overstretched financially, and that was before he had kids recently.

My dad is another one, $120 an hour, his fiance is a bank manager and he barely has money

Another friend makes almost double what I do and barely gets by, he just had a kid recently too.

All three of them I've had to bail out with a loan at one point, hey maybe I should become a loan shark!

This wasn't an attempt to rub it in.

I made this thread because my perception of a good salary has changed dramatically over the years. That's why I wanted some input.

I said I wasn't in it for the money because it's true. Otherwise I would be in trades or mining. Not for me.

I eventually would like to buy some property.

This wasn't an attempt to rub it in.

I work in the healthcare field. My salary will go up every year but in very modest increases. I don't think I will break the $38 mark ever. This is my career.

I made this thread because my perception of a good salary has changed dramatically over the years. That's why I wanted some input.

I said I wasn't in it for the money because it's true. Otherwise I would be in trades or mining. Not for me.

I eventually would like to buy some property.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP as well. 25 yrs old, healthcare field, about the same wage. I thought this would be a good wage but things are so expensive nowadays. Looking for a second job to get by hours up to 50ish/week so I can start putting some money aside.

No savings. Lots of student loans. Yippee.

It all depends on what you consider as the "good life".

If you want 2 trips a year, a nice home, a fancy car, splurge at the latest restaurant/boutique plus retirement at age 55, some of those things are mutually exclusive from each other. Unless you're pulling in like 90k+ per year or with some wicked benefit plans, sacrifices will need to be made.

Sounds like they don't know how to budget.

When I got married, my wife and I bought a house. Put alot of it towards the mortgage. Learned to without the extra cash. Learned to live with need vs want. I still don't have a Big Screen LED TV as my other friends have. My computer is 7yrs old...needs to be updated soon. Just now getting an iPad. Got a couple of kids and a dog. I've lowered the mortgage to pay for kids (they are expensive...school/lessons/etc) stuff.

My regret ...knowing what I know now ... is wasting my hard earned money on frivalous things. But...I did have a blast growing up.

Archived