The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disputing a TransLink ticket

7thMan

I was SkyTraining to work, this morning, and a was checked for proof of payment, nothing out of the usual. The only difference, today, was that I was using a prepaid ticket. I don't think I've ever used one of these on a SkyTrain, before, so it didn't occur to me that I needed to validate it.

So, when I was checked, the transit police guy told me that it wasn't valid and he would have to write me a ticket, but that I could dispute it if I wanted. The fine is $173. The guy also told me I had to validate it after getting the fine, which is a bit absurd seeing as it means I'm paying and getting fined.

Has anyone here disputed a TransLink ticket?

Should I bother?

Will my sob story make any difference, or should I just suck it up and pay through the nose for an honest mistake?

That's so untrue...on the back of your (blue) ticket it tells you how to dispute it and it's time sensitive (30 days from issue).

You simply write in to Victoria, indicating that you're disputing it and include a copy of the ticket. You'll then get correspondence telling you when to appear.

I disputed one two years ago. The ticket machines were broken so I went to ask an attendant. The skytrain cop gave me a ticket.

I disputed it. A few months later I got a court date. I went and my cop didn't show up. Judge asked me how I pleaded.. Not guilty . She said " since the officer didn't show up I believe you are telling the truth"

And got off. No payment :)

Also you don't have to write to Victoria. Just take your ticket to any icbc office and say you're disputing the entire ticket.

Also you don't have to write to Victoria. Just take your ticket to any icbc office and say you're disputing the entire ticket.

that's pretty much what you do. if a cop is writing you a ticket, they'll even say go to the icbc if you want to dispute the ticket, but most of the time, people are just caught not paying fair. i get a fair amount of people making photocopies of their tickets and disputing they got ticketed for traveling 1 stop, 1 zone over. really depends what kind of cop you get. i never get ticketed and usually it's because the ticket maching kept spitting out my coin, so i have to travel to the next stop to see if it works there

but understand that transit police hear all sorts of stuff from people, like "i've never used one of these prepaid things before and didn't know i had to punch it in the thing"

lesson learned

but understand that transit police hear all sorts of stuff from people, like "i've never used one of these prepaid things before and didn't know i had to punch it in the thing"

Maybe it's cause I have been a regular transit user for a long time, but isn't it obvious you will have to do something to the FareSaver ticket? It's blank... :huh:

Maybe it's cause I have been a regular transit user for a long time, but isn't it obvious you will have to do something to the FareSaver ticket? It's blank... :huh:

well of course, which is why it would be near impossible for a cop to believe "i never used one of these things before, so i didn't know i had to validate" and they're thinking, "buddy. come on, now"

it's funny because one of my friends was ticket 3 times 2 years ago and when he was ticketed again a couple of months ago, they ran a quick background check on him, usually when tey do that it's so see if you have other transit offenses, or... anything else. he came up clean and they let him off with a warning and he thinks that if you just don't pay it all together they just trash it. it's weird

In retrospect, it's pretty obvious and I feel dumb for not thinking to do it. Still, I only started taking the SkyTrain regularly recently and I didn't even know how to validate a ticket when I was told to do so. Sometimes, ignorance isn't bliss.

I have other proof of purchase tickets lying around that I just never threw away, so I don't just ride on one blank FareSaver ticket. I can prove that I only started working downtown recently and I only started using the SkyTrain heavily then.

The question is: will they care?

they don't really show any sympathy at all. what most people get are, "well, you'll remember next time to validate your ticket" but if you really decide to dispute just pray the cop who issued the ticket doesn't show up then they'll just let you go and waive it

i was ticketed once for traveling in a 2 zone on a 1 zone ticket and just went and paid it. really didn't want the hassel of disputing

I was SkyTraining to work, this morning, and a was checked for proof of payment, nothing out of the usual. The only difference, today, was that I was using a prepaid ticket. I don't think I've ever used one of these on a SkyTrain, before, so it didn't occur to me that I needed to validate it.

So, when I was checked, the transit police guy told me that it wasn't valid and he would have to write me a ticket, but that I could dispute it if I wanted. The fine is $173. The guy also told me I had to validate it after getting the fine, which is a bit absurd seeing as it means I'm paying and getting fined.

Has anyone here disputed a TransLink ticket?

Should I bother?

Will my sob story make any difference, or should I just suck it up and pay through the nose for an honest mistake?

The thing is you didn't have a validated ticket, regardless of you forgetting or not. So it is 100% your fault for not figuring it out yourself. Fine stands. Sorry. Cause in the end, your responsible for figuring this out. So yes, you are 100% at fault.

In retrospect, it's pretty obvious and I feel dumb for not thinking to do it. Still, I only started taking the SkyTrain regularly recently and I didn't even know how to validate a ticket when I was told to do so. Sometimes, ignorance isn't bliss.

I have other proof of purchase tickets lying around that I just never threw away, so I don't just ride on one blank FareSaver ticket. I can prove that I only started working downtown recently and I only started using the SkyTrain heavily then.

The question is: will they care?

The ticket is for not having a proof of payment in a fare paid zone. If you can prove you had proof of payment then it's disputable.

Couple years ago an officer checked me. I barely ever rode the train and usually only on the weekends where one zone counts for three. Well it was a Friday and I got caught one zone over pulled off and lectured. I disputed it as the ticket was similar to yours in amount and I felt it was an overreaction to a citizen who had paid they're fare, but made a simple mistake. Plus I was unhappy with the way I was treated by the officer. The judge agreed to only reduce it to around 40$ but I was still disappointed.

Archived