The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should use my NHL13 strategy

Why give up so many assets for Kassian? Torres was already here and is even more effective. Sure, Kassian supposedly had more "trade value" but on-ice value is equal.

Why was Raymond kept and given a raise, when Tambellini was also just as effective and played for minimum salary?

Gillis still thinks like a player agent, thinking a player with a supposed higher ceiling and bigger cap hit some how is the better player on ice. For all he said about "moneyball" he is evidenced to think the opposite.

Why spend 4 million plus on each defensemen when Andrew Alberts is just fine at 1 million? You need a top six forward? Get a Ray Whitney. Top 4 defenseman? Keep Salo. Sure Jason Garrison is contributing, but Salo would have been just fine as well, and saved us a million.

The problem is Gillis tries to overdo things, and fills his supporting cast with players that can supposedly all step into a bigger role. The only problem with that is the team doesn't have enough "game breaker" depth because of all the wasted assets.

You cant have Chicago's or LA's depth wasting so much cap on roles that don't require it.

Chicago has Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, and Seabrook. 6 difference makers.

LA has Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Brown, Doughty. 5 difference makers.

Vancouver has the Sedins, and Kesler.

Chicago and LA, with such depth of impact players, has the added benefit that their supporting cast gets so much better. Justin Williams, Brendan Saad, Dave Bolland, etc. become so much more effective when surrounded by true star players fullfilling their role.

Look at Burrows. He's really a third liner. But put him with the Sedins', and he becomes an effective player that has to be accounted for. But you can't get more "stars" while wasting so much cap on Ballard, Garrison, Booth, Burrows, etc.

I am not sure if Gillis understands this that you build your core first. Hodgson has game changing ability; and will get much better. You cannot trade him for "accesory" players. He could become as important as Logan Couture or Pavelski; you didn't see SJ trading those two.

How good of a player could you have gotten trading Schneider and Hodgson together at the draft last year? That type of package could have gotten you Rick Nash.

I trolled my own post with my title, thought it would be funny. My thread has nothing to do with trading crap for good players like you can in video games. Its more about acquiring players to fill the role, not to do more. You need defensive depth, sign a depth defense man. Not some 4.5 million dollar guy.

Your topic title makes it hard to take you seriously, but you preach a point that I've been talking about all this year.

Chicago's third line costs them a combined cap hit of 1.982m.

That's how they are able to keep guys like Toews, Hossa, Kane and Sharp.

Bickell and Stalberg are free-agents coming up. I bet you Chicago will let them walk, and replace them internally or via free-agency.

Internally guys like Morin and Hayes might step up. Frolik and Kruger could get promoted... It's how the Hawks work. They don't have much dead-weight on their roster, if at all.

Honestly, this is one of the worst defense structures I've ever seen.

Edler [5]

Bieksa [4.6]

Garrison [4.6]

Hamhuis [4.5]

Ballard [4.2]

No true #1 and yet 22.9m locked up on 5 defenseman. I would ship out Bieksa, Edler and Ballard for cheaper defenseman who play a more mistake free, safe game. Give me Scuderi, Oduya and Boychuk over these guys.

Your topic title makes it hard to take you seriously, but you preach a point that I've been talking about all this year.

Chicago's third line costs them a combined cap hit of 1.982m.

That's how they are able to keep guys like Toews, Hossa, Kane and Sharp.

Bickell and Stalberg are free-agents coming up. I bet you Chicago will let them walk, and replace them internally or via free-agency.

Internally guys like Morin and Hayes might step up. Frolik and Kruger could get promoted... It's how the Hawks work. They don't have much dead-weight on their roster, if at all.

Honestly, this is one of the worst defense structures I've ever seen.

Edler [5]

Bieksa [4.6]

Garrison [4.6]

Hamhuis [4.5]

Ballard [4.2]

No true #1 and yet 22.9m locked up on 5 defenseman. I would ship out Bieksa, Edler and Ballard for cheaper defenseman who play a more mistake free, safe game. Give me Scuderi, Oduya and Boychuk over these guys.

I trolled my own post with my title, thought it would be funny. My thread has nothing to do with trading crap for good players like you can in video games. Its more about acquiring players to fill the role, not to do more. You need defensive depth, sign a depth defense man. Not some 4.5 million dollar guy.

Bring in gritty Andrew Ference. Mobile, defensive defenseman

Bring in veteran offensive defenseman Marek Zidlicky. Has more skill and smarts then Edler in the offensive zone. Limit his ice-time to 3rd pairing and give him top PP time.

Bring in stay-at-home defenseman Ryan O'Byrne. Local boy from Victoria, can help clearing the crease and provide toughness in the back end. He worked very well with Andrei Markov, but Markov got injured, thus O'Byrne eventually started bouncing around.

You reduce your costs, and bring in players who do their role effectively.

Ballard was asked to be a defensive defenseman, when he is a puck-rusher/offensive defenseman. FERENCE

Bieksa is asked to be in a shut-down role, and while has succeeded at times, is very poor in his own end. O'BYRNE

Edler is suppose to be the #1 guy on offense, when all this guy has is a hard shot. ZIDLICKY

You can probably get Ference at 2.25-2.75m, O'Byrne at 1.5-2m and Zidlicky at 2.5-3m.

Trade Edler+ for Eriksson or Voracek if possible.

Trade Luongo for Matthias and picks.

Trade Bieksa for picks/prospects

Trade Higgins for picks/prospects

Dump Ballard or buyout.

Dump Booth or buyout.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

XXXXX - Kesler - Jensen

Burrows - Matthias - Hansen

XXXXXX - Lain - Kassian

Hamhuis - Ference

Garrison - Tanev

O'Byrne - Zidlicky

Schneider

Lack

Now push hard for someone like Clowe, Filppula, Ribeiro.. Not the greatest, but what can you do when your short on assets, and you traded your best one for Zack Kassian.

Hows that Jagori?

Something like that, yes. We have Tanev and Corrado who can play in the top 6 (with a veteran guy like Alberts, but maybe RH as a 7th d-man). I also like the "build from within and let guys walk" mentality. The one thing we lack is star players though, and if you look at Chicago and LA, they got them from being bad and drafting them, a luxury Vancouver hasn't had.

Our Defense is as rock solid as they come when they all play within a structure in the d-zone. All of them have the ability to pinch in the O-zone and that's what makes our attack so hard to contain.

This year whether it be the shortened season or the structure they didn't play consistent enough. Giving up 8 goals is not usual with a defense this good.

When we had Willie Mitchell and Ohlund, two stay at home shut down guys, we still gave up 7 goals in an elimination game.

Bowness and AV are the one's who will have to pay for the breakdowns.

Keep this elite defense together.

Hamhuis is our #1 and Garrison is a solid shut down #2.

Edler is a beast, big smooth skating puck-mover who hits like a freight train.

Bieksa is our most physical defenseman, extremely well rounded.

The Corrado Kid and CT, the mistake free steals.

Just get rid of Ballard obviously, but I love our current defense.

Our Defense is as rock solid as they come when they all play within a structure in the d-zone. All of them have the ability to pinch in the O-zone and that's what makes our attack so hard to contain.

This year whether it be the shortened season or the structure they didn't play consistent enough. Giving up 8 goals is not usual with a defense this good.

When we had Willie Mitchell and Ohlund, two stay at home shut down guys, we still gave up 7 goals in an elimination game.

Archived