The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All We are Saying...Is Give Booth a Chance

Angry Goose

I brought up that list of players to illustrate where he falls in terms of average production - the fact that there are alot of impressive players, some top liners, and the majority of them with significantly larger cap hits and playing more minutes with top line linemates is hardly comparing him to the "average" or "bottom feeder" players.

That's your gig. You're pretty much all over the place - I don't see what your point is in claiming that Columbus can dress a 10pt second liner and that it's not something to emulate. Makes very little sense.

Cherry picking a 30pt third liner, or a few guys on ELC contracts hardly makes a point either.

Higgins and Hansen are better contracts, so is Burrows, but the point is pretty simple - for a top six guy who averages 23 goals, that is pretty much an average cap hit. If that's the worst thing to complain about, Canucks fans have it pretty good.

The genious philosophical words of david booth

I'm fairly anti-religion but I have to admit that Booth is probably the only Canuck player aside from Luongo whose twitter feed I like to read, simply because he does love to talk and debate about some heavy theological theories.

On the other hand I find it amusing that a hockey player, the most chaotic sport in terms of stats and outcomes, leans so far away from simple chaos theory.

See now you're getting worked up and getting snarky. Don't get emotional on me. we're just talkin here. I said compare his production to that of teams we want to emulate, I didn't cherry pick players I listed every team that went past the first round of this years playoffs and shared who they had as their 2nd line winger. I could've gone thru the league and picked the very best 2nd line wingers but I stuck to the teams who went further than us in the playoffs. I broke down how much their contract was and what they produced and the numbers spoke for themselves. The point about Columbus I thought was straight forward but you're comparing to the average because it inflates Booths value, because x number of teams have less quality players and it brings the average down doesn't make in itself Booths contract a good contract..it just means he's out producing some players, it doesn't mean that he's out producing players of quality or producing on par to his contract. You can skew stats, to reflect about any position. I tried to keep the comparison as relevent as possible, 2nd line left wingers on cup contending teams, I didn't pick players who made less, I didn't pick players to support my argument, I just posted all of them and it speaks for itself. If your argument is you can do worse than Booth, I am in agreement...I'm just saying for a team that wants to win the cup you need better bang for your buck out of your higher paid talent.

Spare me the suggestion that you can intuit anything "snarky" , "emotional" or "worked up" about that post - I can't be bothered with that type of thing tbh.

That you were all over the place going from 10 pt Columbus 2nd liners, to "bottomfeeders" to what you perceived to be the 2nd line forwards of teams in the second round was more of a matter of fact than anything you are suggesting.

My point has been pretty consistent and clear.

So let's take you on what appears to be your point - that the teams to be emulating (in hindsight - because the Booth deal was cut three years ago) are the teams that made it to the second round of last year's playoffs.

Where you miss the point is in attempting to compare Booth's contract to a pair of third liners in Torres and Cleary, three youngsters on ELCs in Hagelin (a 14 goal and 10 goal season in his career), Saad (10 career NHL goals) and Conacher (11 career NHL goals) - and then the three guys with actually very comparable cap hits only serve to illustrate my point - Morrow (a career average of 24 goals), Marchand (a career average of 22 goals) and Penner (a career average of 21 goals).

I'll spare you but keep it respectful, the its your gig nonsense was stuff I have no time for. Im fine to discuss the points but when you want to get snarky and it is snarky, I wont be bothered to respond.

Where you miss the point is its not upto you to decide who is a third liner, on their respective teams they played 2nd line minutes...production inline with what Booth produced at a fraction of the price tag. You want to hand pick comparisons that fit your argument.

Lets play your game however and compare to the players you want included. You keep going on goals alone but there are other players on the ice, and assists are points...playoff points matter... Morrow is no longer in his prime but in his prime a far superior player to what Booth has shown in his career to date. At this stage he is still a top tier agitator and puts up on average more points than booth has for less money, barely less but less, if Booth was to have an edge in any of these comps it should've been here against a guy on the downside of his career but I don't think you can make the argument convincingly that Booth is the better investment in this match up. Marchand is probably the premier agitator in the game and only 3 years in, his point totals have increased steadily every year he has been in the league, these are 2 players in Booth and Marchand whose career trajectories are heading in opposite directions. Penner is a floater in the regular reason but a playoff beast, his value has come entirely in the playoffs and his point totals still are in line with Booth for a discounted price. Now those you hand chose, are any of the 3 worse contracts than Booth? I can listen to the argument that we need to reserve judgement on Booth given his injuries he hasn't had a fair opportunity to prove what that he is worthy of that paycheck but given comprables at this stage he hasn't proven himself to be a good investment, the canucks could simply do better with their money

Archived