The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All We are Saying...Is Give Booth a Chance

Angry Goose

booth.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

I think the loss of Booth last season may have been a big blow. I don't think a buy-out is necessarily in the cards. In fact, I think MG is eager to see what they have in Booth next season (assuming he can play a full season and stay healthy). In short, MG won't buy-out Booth because they havn't yet been able to fully evaluate what they have in him. I myself am curious as well.

Here's why:

In his limited minutes last season he was generating lots of scoring chances. Although he wasn't finishing those chances, it gives you a strong impression he is on the right track. As long as he keeps working hard and doing what he's doing (combined with some luck and actual finish) he could be a good offensive contributor.

Offensively, he was generating chaos around the net, which bodes well for those dirty goals in the tough to play areas the Canucks desperately need some presence in. I would really like to see what a guy like Jordan Schroeder could do feeding him the puck in those areas.

He's a big body and has good foot speed. Physical player too. Fits the Canucks style of play.

He has something to prove next year. No doubt this season was dissapointing as a team and as individuals for many Canucks. Booth is one of those guys. Motivation goes a long ways.

He is a heart and soul type of player that displays that kind of attitude out on the ice. I think he has a good attitude towards playing the game, and that bodes well for the 'culture' and 'reputation' the Canucks always seem percieved to lack.

What Booth Needs to do next Season:

1) train and prepare well (e.g work some skill development i.e. puck control, shot release etc.) in the off season

2) stay healthy during the season

3) contribute. I don't think Booth has to put up all-star stats to be effective, he just needs to be a secondary scorer that translates into wins for the team. Next season will be much tougher for the Canucks with re-alignment in effect, and obviously making the playoffs is goal #1 during the regular season.

4) Assuming the Canucks are in the playoffs, this is where Booth has to shine.

5) lay off the twitter (for everyone's sake) unless it's hockey related

In Conclusion:

I don't think we've seen the last of Booth. I still think he has much to prove, and playoff wise I'm hoping at the very least he can be a Dustin Penner-esque post season performer. That's really what the Canucks need, and I could trade off a decent regular season for strong play off performance. Cap wise, I think his salary is manageable (see below). Of course, the ball is in Booth's court if he is still with the team next year. Here's hoping he can run with it.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($2.500m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,719,444; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $6,580,556

I've left the 4th line untouched and the back up goalie position vacant depending on what happens during the off-season. Further, I've signed Tanev and Schroeder to contracts that are hopefully not an under-estimation. The defensive line up isn't set either (Tanev for instance could easily swap partners with Bieksa).

Wouldn't mind giving him a chance, but being realistic, he's proven so far that he's not the player he once was and with the Canucks so far, he hasn't been a consistent player nor has he been a presence on the ice. Not saying he can't change that - it's going to be hard if you want to be truthful - but chances are he won't be a top 6 guy for us and with his cap, isn't worth it.

Edit: I personally don't want him on the team this upcoming year just because I don't want the risk in the Canucks keeping him and him not playing to expectations again / ruining another year for him and the team. I want a proven top 6 winger to help out the Sedins or Kesler (Eriksson, Ryan..) whether that means giving something we wouldn't want to but hey, you got to pay up to get something big of value.

All in all, I'm not in for giving him another chance...there are more cons than pros unfortunately/fortunately :lol:

I was all for giving him a chance but then I realized he has sold out on the team. He was not even there for the team to support it during the playoffs. Rather he was too busy staying in Michigan doing nothing. From what I understand, many people believe he is a head case off the ice which is fine if you are producing. This guy is always injured and his immaturity off the ice shows when he posts dumb comments after the Boston bombing on twitter or is too busy killing animals instead of practising with his teammates during the lockout or when he doesn't support the team during it's most crucial time.

Booth-Gaunce-Kassian for the 3rd line if we have to use Gaunce because of cap reasons, Booth and Kass were starting to get some chemistry before Booth went down. That's a big heavy body line, just need a coatch to let them run.

Booth's best season was 5 years ago. He will be 29 years old in November. Concussions and injuries have seriously derailed his career.

Booth was on pace on a full season for 21-24 points. I'd take a gamble that Jensen can match that, and try and get something for Booth. Much like Ballard if he was making less I'd be ok with it. I'd only look at keeping Booth as a last resort, or if we are offered pretty much nothing for him.

But first,let's get dumb and even dumber Gillis to get him skating with Kesler and pot a few goals to dump his salary and chtick on another team.

Get something for his asset.This team is not going to be forever funded with $$ by Aquilini so Gillis can keep making boneheaded moves.

But first,let's get dumb and even dumber Gillis to get him skating with Kesler and pot a few goals to dump his salary and chtick on another team.

Get something for his asset.This team is not going to be forever funded with $$ by Aquilini so Gillis can keep making boneheaded moves.

Lol you think MG is eager to find out what Booth has to offer next season? I highly doubt that for a player who

has been incredibly inconsistent in so many areas. Two seasons and we still don't really know what we have in

Booth. Buying him out would be the safest move by Canucks management, but I'm not sure if Aquilini would

approve 2 buyouts (assuming we buyout Ballard).

The bottom line is, we could either keep an overpaid injury-prone player, or we could keep someone else.

Whether that be Raymond or Roy (if they'll sign at a good price), or a free agent, all are better options than Booth at this point.

I'm sorry OP, but you can't put someone of Booth's salary on the 4th line when the cap is being cut as it is. Don't get me wrong, much as I don't really think Booth is a fit, I actually DO THINK he would be good on the 4th line. (with Higgins and Hansen)

Booth - Higgins - Hansen.............that should be a 4th that gives returns.

Actually while I am posting, I really don't think that team would be much good.

Booth's best season was 5 years ago. He will be 29 years old in November. Concussions and injuries have seriously derailed his career.

Booth was on pace on a full season for 21-24 points. I'd take a gamble that Jensen can match that, and try and get something for Booth. Much like Ballard if he was making less I'd be ok with it. I'd only look at keeping Booth as a last resort, or if we are offered pretty much nothing for him.

Booth as a third liner would be awesome if he stays healthy. But $4.25 for a third liner is a bit pricey

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

???? - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - ???? - Higgins

???? - Lapierre - Hansen

Fill in the holes via trade, with prospects or free agency

Archived