The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All We are Saying...Is Give Booth a Chance

Angry Goose

I'm all for giving Booth a shot too. He could've just been getting used to the team in 2011-12 and this year he barely got a chance. I hope to see him get more games under his belt this year, and in the long run, more points.

I don't mind giving booth another go... I think he would work well with Henrik Sedin, and that also gives a PWF to play with Hank. If we just get one more guy (crossing my fingers for Edler for Eriksson), we look great:

D.Sedin-Kesler-Burrows

Booth-H.Sedin-Eriksson

Higgins-Gaunce?-Hansen

Weise-Lapierre?-Kassian

If the Canucks can upgrade via free agency this summer I would easily buy him out. Injury prone and poor vision.

Like his size and speed. I would be ok seeing him and Higgins compete for a top 6 spot.

Aquilini is going to have to eat some salaries this year for this team to be competitive again and Booths should be one of them,,Ballard the other compliance buyout ,,then get something, anything for LU just to free up the cap space..

That would give us around 13 million of cap room on those 3 players alone,,Gillis said he would re-set the team..that is a good start to pick up a good top 6 winger and top 4 Dman.

I would imagine however that any deal involving LU the NUX would have to pick up some salary.

Booth as a third liner would be awesome if he stays healthy. But $4.25 for a third liner is a bit pricey

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

???? - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - ???? - Higgins

???? - Lapierre - Hansen

Fill in the holes via trade, with prospects or free agency

If there wasn't a cap issue, he'd probably get it. But since there is, we have to find a way to move cap space somehow, and Booth might be a casualty of that. Debate his pros and cons all you want, for his prices point he's less effective than other players with similar cap hits on our team.

booth.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

I think the loss of Booth last season may have been a big blow. I don't think a buy-out is necessarily in the cards. In fact, I think MG is eager to see what they have in Booth next season (assuming he can play a full season and stay healthy). In short, MG won't buy-out Booth because they havn't yet been able to fully evaluate what they have in him. I myself am curious as well.

Here's why:

In his limited minutes last season he was generating lots of scoring chances. Although he wasn't finishing those chances, it gives you a strong impression he is on the right track. As long as he keeps working hard and doing what he's doing (combined with some luck and actual finish) he could be a good offensive contributor.

Offensively, he was generating chaos around the net, which bodes well for those dirty goals in the tough to play areas the Canucks desperately need some presence in. I would really like to see what a guy like Jordan Schroeder could do feeding him the puck in those areas.

He's a big body and has good foot speed. Physical player too. Fits the Canucks style of play.

He has something to prove next year. No doubt this season was dissapointing as a team and as individuals for many Canucks. Booth is one of those guys. Motivation goes a long ways.

He is a heart and soul type of player that displays that kind of attitude out on the ice. I think he has a good attitude towards playing the game, and that bodes well for the 'culture' and 'reputation' the Canucks always seem percieved to lack.

What Booth Needs to do next Season:

1) train and prepare well (e.g work some skill development i.e. puck control, shot release etc.) in the off season

2) stay healthy during the season

3) contribute. I don't think Booth has to put up all-star stats to be effective, he just needs to be a secondary scorer that translates into wins for the team. Next season will be much tougher for the Canucks with re-alignment in effect, and obviously making the playoffs is goal #1 during the regular season.

4) Assuming the Canucks are in the playoffs, this is where Booth has to shine.

5) lay off the twitter (for everyone's sake) unless it's hockey related

In Conclusion:

I don't think we've seen the last of Booth. I still think he has much to prove, and playoff wise I'm hoping at the very least he can be a Dustin Penner-esque post season performer. That's really what the Canucks need, and I could trade off a decent regular season for strong play off performance. Cap wise, I think his salary is manageable (see below). Of course, the ball is in Booth's court if he is still with the team next year. Here's hoping he can run with it.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.250m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($2.500m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,719,444; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $6,580,556

I've left the 4th line untouched and the back up goalie position vacant depending on what happens during the off-season. Further, I've signed Tanev and Schroeder to contracts that are hopefully not an under-estimation. The defensive line up isn't set either (Tanev for instance could easily swap partners with Bieksa).

I say Booth was looking good right before he got hurt, he might surprise us but he better lay off the hunting and bible and get into offseason beast mode.

The bottom line is, we could either keep an overpaid injury-prone player, or we could keep someone else.

Whether that be Raymond or Roy (if they'll sign at a good price), or a free agent, all are better options than Booth at this point.

I agree that he should be given a chance playing with the right centre - and Kesler is not the correct fit. Players with the size, skill and speed of Booth are not easy to find. Imagine the reaction of the Canuck fans if Booth was bought out, snapped up immediately by another team and has a good season with the new team.

I also agree that Schroeder is the best fit for him as a centre. Gaunce needs to spend a year or two in the minors learning his trade. Schroeder has shown he has the ability to play in the NHL and, hopefully, the new coaching staff will give him the chance.

The only change I would make to your top 3 lines is Kassian with the twins and Burrows with Kesler - it is a better balance for the top 2 lines.

Archived