The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Eakins, Ruff, Tippett are all now spoken for.. Only Boucher and Torts are left. Hell, we already use a nick name for him-- we might as well just go with Torts. lol He can bring some toughness to our players and handles the media like a champ. Canada is way too pansy and censored anyways, I'd love to see him in front of the camera down here..

He'd have to tone it down a little sure, but I think he can more than handle it. He knows it's okay in America, but here in Canada everyone is a little on the "softer side." :rolleyes: (Minus the rioting) Haha But if worst comes to worst though, I say we just go with Boucher. He's quite a lot more mellow than Torts, but maybe it'll work out better than everybody thinks. Cheers to finding out soon though, eh? I'm sick of waiting.

Rangers haven't made it farther than us in the last 2 years of the playoffs.

Also had a worst team than the Canucks.

I hope it's Tortorella. He'll turn this franchise's players around. All the amenities Aquilini brought to the team will cease to serve a country club and start serving player improvement.

I support Torts being our coach on two conditions:

1. He doesn't treat the media like dogs. The reporters have a job to do and it's disrespectful to yell at them and humiliate them publicly

2. He treats the players like adults and not kids.

But here's why I like him as coach:

He's a blue-collar guy. AV gave the Sedins 25+ minutes of ice time EVERY game, no matter how they were playing. Torts won't do that. If another player or another line deserved more ice time, he'll give them that. He'll reward players for earning their stripes.

The Canucks have become far too prissy. They don't work hard for their chances. No blocked shots, no battling in the dirty areas. They just want everything to come easy to them.

No more. Time to start earning every inch of ice and every chance on net. Time to start working hard again.

1. He doesn't treat the media like dogs. The reporters have a job to do and it's disrespectful to yell at them and humiliate them publicly

He's a blue-collar guy. AV gave the Sedins 25+ minutes of ice time EVERY game, no matter how they were playing. Torts won't do that. If another player or another line deserved more ice time, he'll give them that. He'll reward players for earning their stripes.

The Canucks have become far too prissy. They don't work hard for their chances. No blocked shots, no battling in the dirty areas. They just want everything to come easy to them.

No more. Time to start earning every inch of ice and every chance on net. Time to start working hard again.

Agree with this.

The question is, do we have enough of these types of players?

Because we "missed out" on....who exactly?

I agree in a way, we obviously weren't re-hiring AV, so really that means Ruff is the only one we "lost out on", and he wasn't really considered to be in the running either, according to most people.

But I am still concerned about this situation because it is starting to appear as though there isn't a great candidate waiting in the wings. All things being equal, I wish we still had AV. Change for the sake of change isn't a good plan, especially if it becomes a downgrade.

Agree with this.

The question is, do we have enough of these types of players?

I think there are players who have waited in the wings for a long time. Under AV they were forced to just accept their roles as 3rd and 4th liners. But under Torts they may see a resurgence. Players like Higgins, Hansen, and the rookies who r expected to make the team next year will be given more opportunities to succeed.

The twins avergage ice time is a LOT closer to 20 minutes, not 25. Kesler (when healthy/playing) was closer to 25 due to his higher usage on the PK and checking 5 on 5.

Well, Torts has a Stanley Cup ring I guess.

But so did Crawford....

If the team is going to rebuild, now is the time. At least Torterella would keep the pressers interesting and entertaining if this team decides it wants to gut itself.

1. If the media wants to treat the countryclub media here like crap, let him. They kinda deserve it.

2. A coach who actually talks to the players (AV never did, esp. at the bench) isn't exactly a bad thing.

3. AV gave the Sedins 17-18mins per game, actually. So if anything, Torts will give them more.

4. Don't think it's 'being prissy.' It's just that they were hurt a lot and the lineup's talent level and depth went down.

5. Not sure if Torts equates to automatic work ethic increase. The Rangers top guys acted entitled all season long and they barely made the playoffs after some needed trades were made.

No matter who the coach is, Gillis has a LOT of work to do to get this team back up to previous standards. Easier said than done.

imho Hiring Torts would signal the end of the core as we know it. Fast track the inevitable?

The twins avergage ice time is a LOT closer to 20 minutes, not 25. Kesler (when healthy/playing) was closer to 25 due to his higher usage on the PK and checking 5 on 5.

Fair enough. But either way, they rarely got put out there if the draw was in the D-zone, never asked to kill penalties, and rarely asked to spend time defending. They were given every chance to focus on offense. Time for all players to start contributing to all parts of the puzzle IMO.

Sometimes I think our team could really use this instead of letting them sit in the room alone to figue it out themselves. Especially the Sedins. but honeslty I could see the Sedins crying or something if someone were to yell at them like this LOL.

You honestly could see the Sedins "crying" if someone yelled at them?

You know less than nothing.

I agree with almost everything you have said. The one issue I have is with your depiction of the media. The press in Vancouver are horrible to the team. They deserve to be man handled if the opportunity arises.

Archived