The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

I typically don't respond to posts that have insults in them however as it appears you don't understand what I mean here goes;- I didn't mean the Sedins would just pick up and leave, however after doing their jobs for so long too much negativity, punative approaches to player discipline can lead to a lack of motivation, not increase it - you are right in that lots of the reputation the canucks have developed with refs is based on what the players have done, however referees aren't stupid, they know who supports the players, and who tells them how to handle certain situations. Any NHL coach studies the referees and tries to react accordingly. Some are good at it, others just blow their stacks and get into an antoginizing relationship with them. Yes, tuning out or tuning in is key. Sure, that could apply to any coach, however who are players more likely to listen too, someone who tries to inspire performance, or someone who tries to beat it out of players? In terms of the "gamble" I talk about, there is also the issue of attracting players/free agents to the Canucks. Do you think this has become easier or harder now?

The problem with this is that you have no real idea of how much "beating it out of them" is done. From all I have seen, Tortorella's use of that tactic generally comes about when he believes that the work ethic is not there for a given player or the team in general. There is nothing to suggest that he does not instruct players to help them improve in more positive ways. The focus only goes on the yelling.

Free agents not wanting to come here because he is the coach is a non issue. New York did not have an issue signing guys nor getting players to waive NTC to join them. Travel, opportunity, league reputation of the team, money, and term on their contracts are likely much bigger issues for free agents considering Vancouver, just like they would be with any other team.

Have we not seen now that no matter what the Canucks do the refs will do things their way anyway? I mean, he might get a few more bench minors for mouthing off but that is worth it in the long run because at least he is not afraid to call them out publicly for it. It will happen to the Canucks anyway so I would rather have a coach who gets pissed off about it when it does. Maybe like the schoolyard bully they will eventually move on from their Vancouver bias or maybe not. Either way everyone will know just how ridiculous it has become.

I don't get it, but I laughed anyway.

In this briefcase we proudly present the next interviewee for a new head coach!

8ERmkgF.gif

And then we look back into the next briefcase to make sure we're making the right decision before we hire our guy...

I actually DO want Tortorella. Shut up

I want Tortorella to be the coach too. He's exactly what this team needs, and this city's media.

His credentials speak for themselves.

The media deserves every bit of wrath they garner. It is not for Tortorella to tune it down,it is for the media to sharpen up. Though I have a feeling that Tortorella is one heated press conference away from being told by management to tune it down as they have done the same with Lapierre, Kassian and others. I just hope that it was AV who told people to tune it down and not upper management. If that's the case, then the Canucks will be juuuust fine.

You know what's pissin me off? The fact the Media is already trying to turn Torts into a villain in Vancouver. BEFORE he's been officially announced as the guy...

Like **** off, give the guy a chance... If he is a canuck, we should all stand behind him and see what he can do for us. I know I will support him 100% anyone who is listening to what the media has to say is an idiot.

and this

YouTube is great for assessing how Tortorella treats the press, and really who cares if he puts them in their place; however a lot of opinions are being formed based on the HBO series. Come on, how much of that is reality TV?....do any of us really think he talks to the players like that game in, game out? From what I have seen he stands up for his players, holds the refs accountable, and brings a very aggressive, gritty style to the game. Just what we need here.

Now, Gillis just has to make some deals. Thats what's been lacking.

The problem with this is that you have no real idea of how much "beating it out of them" is done. From all I have seen, Tortorella's use of that tactic generally comes about when he believes that the work ethic is not there for a given player or the team in general. There is nothing to suggest that he does not instruct players to help them improve in more positive ways. The focus only goes on the yelling.

Free agents not wanting to come here because he is the coach is a non issue. New York did not have an issue signing guys nor getting players to waive NTC to join them. Travel, opportunity, league reputation of the team, money, and term on their contracts are likely much bigger issues for free agents considering Vancouver, just like they would be with any other team.

Have we not seen now that no matter what the Canucks do the refs will do things their way anyway? I mean, he might get a few more bench minors for mouthing off but that is worth it in the long run because at least he is not afraid to call them out publicly for it. It will happen to the Canucks anyway so I would rather have a coach who gets pissed off about it when it does. Maybe like the schoolyard bully they will eventually move on from their Vancouver bias or maybe not. Either way everyone will know just how ridiculous it has become.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't be an issue. Yes free agents went to New York with Torts there but c'mon, it's the big apple. Where players can get lost in a city of 10 Million, go to a Yankees game, and hang with Jay Z. Even with Torts as coach, who wouldn't want to go there?

Vancouver has always had certain challenges with acquiring free agents, all other things being equal and BC boys excluded. The travel schedule and the fish bowl that is Van being the main ones. Torts may or may not be another challenge to overcome, but he probably won't be around long enough for it to become an issue.

Something I do fear could rear it's ugly head later in the year is that Torts hasn't coached in the Western conference where the travel and wear & tear of the more physical style of play are much more taxing on players. If Torts tries to play the same grinding, block every shot style he used in New York, our team will be lucky to survive the season and just make the playoffs.

What if Torts is actually being hired as gm and not as coach.

Interesting point. But leaving MG in charge until the turnaround would be a massive black eye.

I wouldn't mind Keanan again as GM. Whether one hates him or hates him, the Linden trade has and continues to pay massive dividend.

Keanan/ Tortorella duo would be fire in and ocean.

What if Torts is actually being hired as gm and not as coach.

No. Gillis already said Tortorella is strongly in the mix for the coaching position.

And anyone that would want Keenan back clearly was not old enough to actually remember that era. He destroyed what was a good team at the time with tons of star talent.

Interesting point. But leaving MG in charge until the turnaround would be a massive black eye.

I wouldn't mind Keanan again as GM. Whether one hates him or hates him, the Linden trade has and continues to pay massive dividend.

The Canucks have taken advantage of Keenan' boner for Bertuzzi twice now. And once was when he was a GM of the other team. If they hired Keenan as GM you KNOW Messier would become our coach.

And actually, I like Av a lot more now that he fracked mr entitled Messier out of a coaching gig in NY.

I can't believe some one has the same insight as i have.Personally I don't believe Keenan was as bad as some regurgitate.

No. Gillis already said Tortorella is strongly in the mix for the coaching position.

And anyone that would want Keenan back clearly was not old enough to actually remember that era. He destroyed what was a good team at the time with tons of star talent.

There's nothing wrong with Keenan his credentials say it.I personally would have welcomed him back.The way he treated the team was far better than they've been treated since.He held them accountable not like the flakes that followed him.

Archived