The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

There's nothing wrong with Keenan his credentials say it.I personally would have welcomed him back.The way he treated the team was far better than they've been treated since.He held them accountable not like the flakes that followed him.

If holding them accountable means trading them away after 9 games (Geoff Sanderson 1998), then sure.

Blashill was the Red Wing's assistant coach under Babcock but decided to coach in the AHL because he believed that was the best route to take to become an NHL head coach. Scratch him from the list.

http://www.freep.com...ong-playoff-run

I don't think any teams are offering him a head coaching position right now.

If he wants NHL coaching experience it's gonna have to be in an assistant role right now IMO.

All the great coaches have been assistants at some point. It's part of the path to becoming a head coach.

If he wants NHL coaching experience it's gonna have to be in an assistant role right now IMO.

All the great coaches have been assistants at some point. It's part of the path to becoming a head coach.

It almost seems like the Wings wanted him to go down and get head coaching experience perhaps grooming him to eventually replace Babcock. I would not be too surprised if that were the case.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't be an issue. Yes free agents went to New York with Torts there but c'mon, it's the big apple. Where players can get lost in a city of 10 Million, go to a Yankees game, and hang with Jay Z. Even with Torts as coach, who wouldn't want to go there?

Vancouver has always had certain challenges with acquiring free agents, all other things being equal and BC boys excluded. The travel schedule and the fish bowl that is Van being the main ones. Torts may or may not be another challenge to overcome, but he probably won't be around long enough for it to become an issue.

Something I do fear could rear it's ugly head later in the year is that Torts hasn't coached in the Western conference where the travel and wear & tear of the more physical style of play are much more taxing on players. If Torts tries to play the same grinding, block every shot style he used in New York, our team will be lucky to survive the season and just make the playoffs.

I think Tort's style in the East was the exception. Western Conference play is generally more physical and more defensive than in the East. I think his game will translate easily. The issue is do you coach to your player's strengths or do you coach to a system and have your players adapt. To an extent I think it is a blend but there can never be any confusion who is in control. Who knows what went on behind closed doors but it seemed that AV had lost his control or direction and was hoping that his system would re-establish. Torts has a system and until the CBJ trade when his depth got moved the NYR were a very tough game to play. IMHO it was absolute BS that Van has not had a bottom 6 of consequence since Manny went down. I do not see that happening with Torts. Again this year AV sat his 4th line except for 3 - 4 minutes a game. You have to seriously ask yourself what message that sends to your entire roster.

It seems as far as he is concerned, that this is the best way to get a head coaching job. To me, that means he won't be hired as an assistant for any NHL team, whether or not that is the right decision for his career, it's one he has consciously made. Sucks for us. Who else out there are possible candidates anyways?

Glad you are not running the team.

On numerous occasions, whether in war or peace, at the office, in arts, wherever an entire group is needed on the same page for the work to be done, the sacrifice of one person can do wonders for the rest of the group. No better place to look than Jesus, followed a few hundred years later by inquisition and public sacrifice in order to gel the masses into Carholicism. Wartime is also laced with sacrifice, especially in Early China. When a member of the Russian army would surrender, they would be killed on their run back.

Keanan had the right mentality on Sanderson.

This may have been posted already, so forgive me for being repetitive.

Quote:When he wants to, he can be the most engaging, fun and interesting guy you’ve every spoken to. It’s unbelievable. And if you catch him at the right moment and there’s a topic he wants to talk about, he’s great and he laughs and he laughs at himself.”

I've heard Ferraro mention how engaging and how well he actually gets along with players. Isn't that who we really want him to get along with? I've never heard him being condescending or disrespectful with fans, just media.

I do not know how many times I've become exasperated with certain writers in the media, have any of you? The media doesn't even ask fans the questions.

Do I respect the media? To a point. Certain members that have been around a while and gained general respect. Hacks like Botchford, I can barely wait for Tortorella to tear him a new one.

Over all who cares how he treats the media. How much respect does the media have for an individual? See Todd Burtuzzi after the Steve Moore incident. Reporters going to his house in N Van. Burtuzzi , right or wrong should garner some level of privacy.

Reporters over all seem to lack respect in that area. They've garnered that at all levels of reporting. News and sports.

So sure, Tortarella still needs to show restraint but at the same time this town's sports media needs a reset too. Hacks like Botchford will poke the bear for a story because poking the bear is the only way these types get story's. Let me be clear, Botchford being a hack is my personal opinion, not a reflection on his character, just his job. I"m sure he's a fun guy. I just don't care for his reporting.

Let me ask this again. I think we should all think about this one before we throw Gillis and Tortarella under the bus on this potential hire. Tortarella's problem is more with the media than any one else. There will always be a player or two in any coaches dog house. There will always be a malcontent player with management. On any team. Different teams deal with these types in different manners.

So really, where is the problem with Torts?

It lies in the media and personally I don't care about that. I just want wins and a happy team behind closed doors.

On numerous occasions, whether in war or peace, at the office, in arts, wherever an entire group is needed on the same page for the work to be done, the sacrifice of one person can do wonders for the rest of the group. No better place to look than Jesus, followed a few hundred years later by inquisition and public sacrifice in order to gel the masses into Carholicism. Wartime is also laced with sacrifice, especially in Early China. When a member of the Russian army would surrender, they would be killed on their run back.

Keanan had the right mentality on Sanderson.

Excellent analogy....consider yourself now sacrificed for the sanity of the rest of us....and take Keenan with you. Kidding of course.

This may have been posted already, so forgive me for being repetitive.

Quote:When he wants to, he can be the most engaging, fun and interesting guy you’ve every spoken to. It’s unbelievable. And if you catch him at the right moment and there’s a topic he wants to talk about, he’s great and he laughs and he laughs at himself.”

I've heard Ferraro mention how engaging and how well he actually gets along with players. Isn't that who we really want him to get along with? I've never heard him being condescending or disrespectful with fans, just media.

I do not know how many times I've become exasperated with certain writers in the media, have any of you? The media doesn't even ask fans the questions.

Do I respect the media? To a point. Certain members that have been around a while and gained general respect. Hacks like Botchford, I can barely wait for Tortorella to tear him a new one.

Over all who cares how he treats the media. How much respect does the media have for an individual? See Todd Burtuzzi after the Steve Moore incident. Reporters going to his house in N Van. Burtuzzi , right or wrong should garner some level of privacy.

Reporters over all seem to lack respect in that area. They've garnered that at all levels of reporting. News and sports.

So sure, Tortarella still needs to show restraint but at the same time this town's sports media needs a reset too. Hacks like Botchford will poke the bear for a story because poking the bear is the only way these types get story's. Let me be clear, Botchford being a hack is my personal opinion, not a reflection on his character, just his job. I"m sure he's a fun guy. I just don't care for his reporting.

Let me ask this again. I think we should all think about this one before we throw Gillis and Tortarella under the bus on this potential hire. Tortarella's problem is more with the media than any one else. There will always be a player or two in any coaches dog house. There will always be a malcontent player with management. On any team. Different teams deal with these types in different manners.

So really, where is the problem with Torts?

It lies in the media and personally I don't care about that. I just want wins and a happy team behind closed doors.

I read the article. It once again makes the media look like a bunch if soccer moms who can't handle a little adversity. I say unleash the beast in Tortorella unto them and let him rip them a big new one for their sins against this team.

Their hope that he can be softened and the "last chance in the NHL" bits are exactly the type of stupidity these idiots keep cramming into people's brains.

I respect the whole diversion of questions regarding the team. Let the coaching staff and the team figure out the team; not the fans and certainly not the media.

One more thought that was posted above. MG might just have hired his own replacement as GM in Tortarella. I'd like this franchise to carry his attitude. An attitude that wouldn't have us watching opposing teams take liberty's with our goaltenders and have no one do a dam thing about it.

I'm sorry this turn the other cheek and score on the power plays hasn't worked out. I'd sooner see a proverbial broken neck and other teams take notice. Seems to be working well in Boston.

In Tortarella we have the coach, now Gillis is going to get the players.

Mr Aquallini is the one taking the big gamble here. From what I read, the Family wants an attitude change. A franchise culture change.

Lets think back to last season's lock out. During the months of that lock out Mr Aquillini and company spent far more time with Co-owners than normal. The Aquallini family in all likely hood came away from the lock out knowing intimately the culture of the NHL ownership. Lets face it, like them or not the owners are successful businessmen, advanced learners when it comes to success. Mr Aquillini was in the classroom with longtime grandfathered NHL ownership.

In most cases the delivery of a successful product is a reflection of ownerships business approach in any given field. Not just hockey. Successful ownership at their level didn't come buy being nice guys. They learn very quick, detach emotion and do what it takes to get the deal done where they come out on top every time. No matter what. This group of people knows all the dirty tricks in the book.

The time Mr Aquillini spent with his counterparts must have been very educational for him. I'm sure behind closed doors he had to take a stand where the other owners know who he is and what he stands for.

Being a highly intelligent group of men, the Aquillinis I'm sure, whom I might point out are relatively new to the NHL: as owners, figured out just what it's going to take to win the big one.

The Aquillinis are the ones that have changed their approach because they understand the inner works that much better after the lock out. That understanding coupled with one last flop with the group they'd assembled under AV has pushed the ship in a different direction.

The shift comes from the top. Smart ownership that understands time frames better than our fan group.

The Aquillinis were afforded a view of what they really had when spending large time frames with fellow owners. I think this has more to do with the present change than the season ending result of the play off exit. If the fan wasn't surprised the Aquillini's weren't either.

The timing in a change for a franchise is now. That's what's happening. Smart prudent business moves.

Mr Aquillini comes across as a nice classy smart guy who loves hockey. I'm sure he and Co have a nasty side. The probable endorsement of Tortarella as coach should be a reflection of that side. I for one am very encouraged with their changes. Gillis understands this too.

Tell that to Dallas Eakins. And both Blashill and Eakins had worked as assistant coaches prior to becoming head coaches in the AHL, so there's that.

Tell that to Dallas Eakins. And both Blashill and Eakins had worked as assistant coaches prior to becoming head coaches in the AHL, so there's that.

Exactly. And it is actually widely stated that head coaching experience in the AHL is at least on the same level - and probably higher actually - than assistant coaching experience at the NHL level in getting prepared for an NHL head coaching job. Both Eakins and Blashill made sure they had both and that seems to be the way coaches looking for an opportunity are going.

What about Don Lever?

Don't know much about his coaching style... but if his playing style is any indicator.

In 2006-2007 he lead Hamilton to a Calder Cup.

Him & Torts coached together on the 1995 Buffalo Sabres.. but Lever was also around for Ruff's run to the Finals. Seems to have been successful in the positions he's had.

I just found Ian MacIntyre's (sp) article somewhat outlandish...was any of it verified or was it his opinion?

Could we get some New York hobo's on this post with some of their thoughts on Tortolini? (people keep mispelling the mans name so I thought I'd jump in)

Anybody think Scott Arniel or Blashill will be named head coach on Monday? What about Ralph Krueger?

It's important to note that Travolterella's public persona is, in large part, a result of 2 things...

1. Lazy beat writers, instead of forming a thought and asking a coherent question, would constantly say to Torts "Talk about the powerplay..." or "Talk about your goaltending..." and this drove him nuts. As far as he was concerned he was doing their job when they did that. He repeatedly told them to ask him a question instead but they wouldn't listen. On the contrary it seems, they would keep doing it to piss him off and it worked.

He could have dealt with this differently (and I imagine his approach will be different in Vancouver) but he chose not to.

2. Let's face it, almost every time you see a highlight or hear a quote from Tortilla, his face is purple, he's got a giant vein poking out of his forehead and he looks like he's about to go OJ on someone. It always makes the highlight reels because it's entertaining but he doesn't actually do it all the time. It just seems like it because of the constant repetition of the 24 hour news cycle.

But nobody blows a gasket in the NHL like him right now, not even close.

Archived