The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Reading that article gives me some hope, maybe Torts can get through to some of these guys and keep them motivated. Get on Bieksa to be intense game in and game out. Talk with Kesler to help him understand what is really important in hockey and give him some goals to achieve. Somehow get Edler back on course hopefully. Maybe the team's more high maintenance players will benefit from the high involvement level Torts seems to have on a daily basis.

If Tortorella gets the job history tells us there's almost no chance of a cup. As far as I know, only one coach in the modern era has won a cup with two teams... and that was Bowman.

why are we saying if ???? torts has the job .. I know for a fact he's been hired ... I am confused as to why your saying if ????

Fail.

Bob knows most things before most people. He has over 20 years in this game and people tell him stuff for a damn good reason.

Think you have him confused with Samjam

I think Dreger has taken over as the best "Insider" Bob usually rt's everything Dreger says.

Dreger is usually wrong on most of his predictions as well.

I take what these "analysts" say with a grain of salt. Outside of the 1st overall pick, they're usually way off on every prospect.

True enough. I don't mind lappy at c but honestly we need better han wiese sestito etc flanking him.

With Tortorella in control.........at the very least Sestito better learn to "fight his weight" and win or he will be in Utica for the duration.

When I read this I feel like he just might be the right guy for this team at this point in time. Seeing what a player has to say who understands the Vancouver hockey market AND has played for both Torts and AV tells me all I need to know about giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The issue with this team appears to have been a lack of direct leadership, honest communication, and accountability throughout the locker room. AV lost his job over it but it was not all his fault. The players need to realize that too. That is not to say the Sedins are not good leaders, I think they are in their own way. I just don't think they are the type to point a finger at others all that easily. That is a good quality but teams need someone who can do that.

I am willing to bet that the Sedins also called Naslund to get his take on Tortorella.

I"m hoping

When I read this I feel like he just might be the right guy for this team at this point in time. Seeing what a player has to say who understands the Vancouver hockey market AND has played for both Torts and AV tells me all I need to know about giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The issue with this team appears to have been a lack of direct leadership, honest communication, and accountability throughout the locker room. AV lost his job over it but it was not all his fault. The players need to realize that too. That is not to say the Sedins are not good leaders, I think they are in their own way. I just don't think they are the type to point a finger at others all that easily. That is a good quality but teams need someone who can do that.

I am willing to bet that the Sedins also called Naslund to get his take on Tortorella.

They likely would have talked with Lundqvist as well I assume, since the top Swedes are all pretty aware of each other from time on the national team. There's also Freddy Modin who played on the 2006 gold medal winning team with the twins but played as well for Tampa when they won the Stanley Cup. And that's just a couple of Swedes that have been coached by Torts, never mind anyone else they know well enough to ask that have been involved with him.

Pretty sure Torts wasn't available at that point. Just sayin'....

Or Stevens, or Eakins, or Gultzan... But I guess Ruff was, so there's that.

I think Dreger has taken over as the best "Insider" Bob usually rt's everything Dreger says.

Dreger is usually wrong on most of his predictions as well.

I take what these "analysts" say with a grain of salt. Outside of the 1st overall pick, they're usually way off on every prospect.

If he's RT Dreger, he usually says so. He's moving closer and closer to retirement from hockey broadcasting so he's making less of an effort to be a news breaker than he has been.

Bob Mckenzie doesn't know shat, just like everyone else. When he does get a scoop, it's a matter of seconds until the entire world knows about it anyway. How many times did this guy hane Lu going to Toronto/Philly/Florida onandonandon?

It's a pretty safe guess.

I mean it's fairly obvious that Tort's is in town to finalize the contract over the weekend and being that stuff like this isn't generally announced on a weekend and that the league has a "no major trades/news etc on a playoff game day" rule (and today being a game day)...tomorrow seems likely for the official announcement.

There's only one Edmonton. Are they looking for another coach?

He won't get a head coaching job this year. I see him spending another year as an assistant before getting the head job.

Well, that's a pretty narrow view to think there is no other team in the NHL that would hire a head coach straight out of the AHL. If he's good enough, he'll get offers from someone with a head coach vacancy rather than let another team get him as an assistant and promote him when they fire their head coach a few years later.

EDIT: and this just in:

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma

#Canucks call press conference for Tuesday at 1 p.m. Pacific. No subject matter in release. No need. Welcome, Torts.

How come you are not fond of Tortorella as the coach?

I'm not actually as down on Torts as you might think, Wallstreet. As we have already discussed, I agree with you that AV's time in Vancouver was done.

However, I'm a fan of what Stevens was able to accomplish with the Kings' defense corps, and I thought he was the best choice for the Canucks' coaching job.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, though. I realize that Tortorella is pretty much a done deal. I'm hoping that Gillis has this one right, because I would have gone in a different direction.

I'm not actually as down on Torts as you might think, Wallstreet. As we have already discussed, I agree with you that AV's time in Vancouver was done.

However, I'm a fan of what Stevens was able to accomplish with the Kings' defense corps, and I thought he was the best choice for the Canucks' coaching job.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, though. I realize that Tortorella is pretty much a done deal. I'm hoping that Gillis has this one right, because I would have gone in a different direction.

Honestly, I didn't remember reading anything specific from you about Torts so I was not sure how you felt about him becoming the coach here.

Honestly, I didn't remember reading anything specific from you about Torts so I was not sure how you felt about him becoming the coach here.

There was one thread where I discussed it with a couple of other posters at some length.

I was on record as disliking the move, but when another poster suggested the same in much stronger terms, I bought up the fact that I thought Michel Therrien was a terrible hire by the Canadiens. At the time I thought they were just making sure that they had a French Canadian behind the bench.

Of course, it has worked out very well (so far, at least) for the Habs. Therefore, I've decided to take the "cautiously optimistic" approach to the Tortorella hiring.

I'll re-evaluate my opinion around Christmas time...

Archived