The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Good. Nothing against AV - he was the best coach in Canucks history - but it had become obvious that the players had long tuned him out. Either that or his "I let the players coach themselves" tactic had run its coarse.

I guess this means MG keeps his job. Pretty neutral on that, but if Ownership wanted to go in a different direction, now would have been the time to make the change. With the declining cap, unresolved goalie situatuion and 2 non-compliance buy-outs a new GM could have put his fingerprints on the team.

Thank you MG and Aquilini for this. AV's message has gone stale since 2011, we need someone new to come in, Eakins would be great. AV just isn't a player's coach, didn't bond with the players well. Any player that says AV was good is referring to his record and the fact they were winning, not the point of connecting with the players.

I believe it's a tandem job between the GM and coach to run a team. The GM gets the talent (and has to make the hard decisions), while the coach needs to take those players signed by the GM and use them in roles that fit them.

I believe Gillis has done his job correctly, getting players to be used his way, while AV decided to use them in retarded roles. The best example is using Kassian on the 4th line constantly when all everyone keeps saying is that the twins need a big player that can back them up and crash the net (basically what Kass is). AV wanted to do things his way, and that is what I believe lead this team to a sweep in the first round (AV switching line-ups many times per game and picking favs like Alberts and Ebbett).

I'm glad he and his assistants are gone, but good luck to all of them (besides Brown) they are wanted by many teams that aren't in the playoffs now. I'm sure Bowness and AV will find jobs soon.

AV was a good coach, I just believe his voice was lost in the room. It's hard for a coach to remain strong after 6+ seasons. This was a change that needed to be made, and for those that want Gillis fired, I'd say he's off to the right start this off season.

He promised big changes, and we've got one already.

Thanks for the best 7 seasons any diehard Vancouver Canucks fan could ask for. 2 Presidents trophies, 1 Stanley Cup Final appearance, 6 out of 7 Northwest Division champions. But it's time to move on, thanks for the memories, and I wish you the best in your future endeavours, Alain Vigneault.

Well said. Best of luck AV and co.

Archived