The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

That is what MG is trying to do. He wants to switch to that style so he needs a coach who can do that with the players MG says he's going to acquire.

You don't hire a coach for what the roster currently is, you get a coach that will be what the team is working towards.

Wave goodbye to half the roster then and they might as well cut the cost of tickets in half cause theres no way im paying 160 a ticket to boring game that dont involve skill .

Watching paint dry is more entertaining then grinding hockey like they played last season , Hitting and fore checking of course great but if its going to be dump and grind all 4 lines up tlike the first season Luongo was here then i pass on giving the canucks my money and lets not forget that only got us to the second round when we did that

Wave goodbye to half the roster then and they might as well cut the cost of tickets in half cause theres no way im paying 160 a ticket to boring game that dont involve skill .

Watching paint dry is more entertaining then grinding hockey like they played last season , Hitting and fore checking of course great but if its going to be dump and grind all 4 lines up tlike the first season Luongo was here then i pass on giving the canucks my money and lets not forget that only got us to the second round when we did that

One extreme to the other, obviously you don't understand or choose not to.

STOKED ON TORTS! just watching his post games on youtube... Man this guy will make listening to the team 1040 and any post game stuff way better. Hopefully our boys can just get down to business and play hockey while he's doing the talky talky.

Stevens is still a good option. I just think torts is what we need till the sedins are retired

Sekeres and Price today spent pretty much their entire show today whaling away about Tortorella being a bad choice. They even had some staged call-ins including one twit from Kelowna stating he'd boycott the team if they hired him. Troy from White Rock had his usual paid guest spot but his comments were too unintelligible to confirm where he stood.

The more they do that, the more I want the guy to come here.

<p>

<br />

Sekeres and Price today spent pretty much their entire show today whaling away about Tortorella being a bad choice. They even had some staged call-ins  including one twit from Kelowna stating he&#39;d boycott the team if they hired him. Troy from White Rock had his usual paid guest spot but his comments were too unintelligible to confirm where he stood.<br />

The more they do that, the more I want the guy to come here.<br />

<br />

<br />

</p>

The MEDIA most definitely does NOT want Torts here, they will be in a world of hurt if he comes.

Tortorella IS THE guy for this team, he has to be

imagine a guy this fired up, and passionate game 7 of the finals against boston.

he cares, he is the spark this team needs, he doesnt bash his guys, his team is his FAMILY and will kill whoever messes with them

Sekeres and Price today spent pretty much their entire show today whaling away about Tortorella being a bad choice. They even had some staged call-ins including one twit from Kelowna stating he'd boycott the team if they hired him. Troy from White Rock had his usual paid guest spot but his comments were too unintelligible to confirm where he stood.

The more they do that, the more I want the guy to come here.

Price isn't even in country lol. It was sekeres and j.patterson today

<p><br />

<br />

</p>

The MEDIA most definitely does NOT want Torts here, they will be in a world of hurt if he comes.

Tortorella IS THE guy for this team, he has to be

imagine a guy this fired up, and passionate game 7 of the finals against boston.

he cares, he is the spark this team needs, he doesnt bash his guys, his team is his FAMILY and will kill whoever messes with them

Problem is his style of coaching isn't where the NHL is headed or where MG says he's taking this team.

Tough to ignore the rumours that the players asked Torts to be fired and Sather declining to comment on those reports

what do you expect from the team with the most overpaid contracts? sather buys his team and it never works out because they aren't there for the cup they're there for the money.

Except for lundqvist,callahan girardi and staal.

I think too many here on CDC are letting their anger and frustration with another wasted Canucks season get in the way of what should be a rational critique of Tortorella's actual coaching philosophy. It's been discussed briefly here already by a few posters, but with a view to providing more outside perspective, here's a good read from the NY Daily News where Sather was clarifying that Torts was fired as much for his teams' dump & chase style of play as much as any player unrest. I realize this needs to be taken with a grain of salt coming from a former employer justifying his decision, but still not exactly comforting to hear as a Canucks fan.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1377043

If you look at these playoff games (like the Stanley Cup Finals matchup) you’re gonna see, the style that they play, I mean there’s not a hell of a lot of dump-ins,” Sather said. “I mean, (if) you have to dump the puck in, you have to dump it. But there’s a lot of puck control and hanging onto the puck and moving the puck out, and there’s not stopping behind the net to gain control. There’s a lot of things that are done differently than what we were doing. So you have to look at the style of play. That had a lot to do with (the decision to fire Tortorella), too.

The organization for years was fully behind the coach’s system and philosophy. That’s why it came as a surprise when Sather said on May 29 that Tortorella seemed “a little bit shocked” by the firing. It also at least partially explained the fact that an outside influence — in this case, player unrest — contributed to the ultimate decision.

I think you've got to remember that people have egos, and they have a strong sense of their own worth when they’re doing their job or they do a good job,” Sather said, giving his perception of why Tortorella may have been shocked. “And you have seven or eight playoff rounds in a couple years. I mean, he was pretty successful.

He’s a good coach. (But) I think the game has changed.

Archived