The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Canucks press release on AV

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President and General Manager Michael D. Gillis announced today that Alain Vigneault has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. Associate Coach Rick Bowness and Assistant Coach Newell Brown were also relieved of their duties today. The Canucks finished the 2012.13 regular season with a record of 26-15-7 and won the Northwest Division Championship before losing 4-0 in the Western Conference Quarter-Finals to the San Jose Sharks.

“We have made the very difficult decision to relieve Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Brown of their coaching duties today,” said Canucks President and General Manager, Michael D. Gillis. “Alain, Rick and Newell worked tirelessly to lead this team to great on-ice success. I am personally grateful to each of them and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and the city of Vancouver and wish them continued success in future.”

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671697

Eriksson actually is a better all around player. Takes significantly less penalties, hence his lady byng nomination a couples of years ago and has a better reputation. He kills penatlies too if you didn't kno that btw.

Better reputation I can agree with for sure.

Im just thinking back to when we got Mikael Samuellson and everyone said the same thing about how he was a better player.

Better reputation I can agree with for sure.

Im just thinking back to when we got Mikael Samuellson and everyone said the same thing about how he was a better player.

Eriksson >> Burrows >> Samuelsson.

But I'll still take Samuelsson over Raymond, Booth etc.

i have been wanting this move to be made since the early part of the season, but that being said i wish him and bowness the best of luck wherever they end up. i didnt want him gone because he is a bad coach, like many others i just thought it was time for a culture change. nobody can deny the success AV and the canucks had during his tenure here and i hope everyone remembers that when he makes his return here on the visiting bench, and i hope canucks fans have the class to give him a lengthy standing ovation. he was a likable guy and a good coach. but sometimes change is needed for the sake of making a change.

You really think coaching was that big of a part of our success?

Not the fact that we had two all star goalies, two elite MVP's, and a Selke winner second line center? With those pieces in place, what AV did here can only be described as underachievement.

How many nights did our goalies have to stand on their heads to get a win? How is that good coaching?

AV owes whatever success he had here to Luongo and Schneider, period.

DN you of all people should know that there is much more to a team than that.

With respect the Sedins are not a physical presences or game changers. AV's gift was he used these players to form a system that was efficient while the whole team was of a certain standard (including a potent PP)............once Gillis started chipping away at the support fringe and breaking the chemistry with duds and rehabs AV kept it together as long as he could................but injuries to key players and players like Ebbett, Barker, Gordon, Sestito, Weise, Pinizzotto, Joslin, and youngsters who were not ready like Gragnani, Schroeder, even Kassian and Corrado and Sweatt gradually destroyed the system and the chemistry.

Even the goalie situation was of Gillis's making as was the Manny fiasco (including having no ready replacement) and the losing of a 2nd line centre for a crap shoot (Kassian) at a time when we were short of centres

Gillis:

“We have made the very difficult decision to relieve Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Brown of their coaching duties today,” said Canucks President and General Manager, Michael D. Gillis. “Alain, Rick and Newell worked tirelessly to lead this team to great on-ice success. I am personally grateful to each of them and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and the city of Vancouver and wish them continued success in future.”

Archived