The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Gave myself the rest of the day off and will consume with joy, a multitude of spirits.

One has to find something to cheer about concerning the Canucks these days.

Still can't understand why this took s long?

Maybe Gillis will announce a new hire today too.

n

Doesn't matter, wanted AV gone a year ago. I don't feel one bit sorry for the guy. He's getting payed regardless.

Yes...he has 2 years left on his contract....

and why is this? Because Mike Gillis was not able to get us a Sidney Crosby of Ovechkin calibre player? Grow a brain.

No because all Mg has done is made a few mediocre trades, signed a few mediocre players and continuously throw the youth away. The only meaningful contracts he signed were guys with previous ties to the team under the Burke/Nonis era.

Then he completely botches the goalie fiasco. All the people that say Schneider is the man are in for a huge awakening. So far he's been nothing but a bedcrapper. Lu is seemingly more and more un-tradable given his moronic contract.

I honestly cannot think of one single big move MG has made. How about Sundin? Look how great that worked out.... Give a guy 5mil to float around for half a season. The guy is way way way over rated and a very mediocre GM at best.

You hit the nail right on the head. I was a big AV fan right until the end of Game 3. He starts Schneider in game 4, Schneids wins game 4, AV goes to Lu for game 5 and he wins = there being a Stanley Cup banner in the rafters in Rogers Arena.

At the time, Lu was the better choice. Schneider would've been thrown into the finals, after not playing for a month and a half. And if we lost that game with Schneider there would be even more people hating AV.

The one I don't agree with is putting Cory in the playoffs this year and last year. He benched the best player from games 1 and 2.

I am far more under the impression the players are the ones that underachieved. When is the last time you seen this team up their game when it mattered the most? Yeah they got a few awards, so what. Last time I checked the only award that counts is the one no Canucks team has ever had.

I do agree with Lu making AV look good maybe for his Jack Adams trophy year but other than that not so much. Schneider never made av look good, thats baseless to say the least.

The guy has maybe played a full season combied since he has been here. He stole a few games but crapped the bed hard when it mattered the most.

AV may not be the only reason for their "success" but he was a big part of it. If you think differently then there truly is nothing more to say. Any fan with half a brain watched him play a huge role in turning this franchise around. Gillis on the other hand did what?

Made a couple mediocre trades, signed a few contracts. None of which were really all that stellar. The only players he got a bargain for were the ones that had previous ties to the team under Burke.

The Canucks lose AV and soon Luongo. This franchise will be in decline soon. Mark my words.

Totally agree.

I would much rather Gillis had gone and the new man had either kept Gillis or picked his own man

For those that think he should not have been fired and blame the team that MG has assembled...

Are the Canucks really bad enough to be swept by the Sharks?

Are they really bad enough to lose in 5 games against the Kings?

Are they really bad enough to only score 8 goals in 7 games against the Bruins?

If they are not, then it means they didn't play as well as the team that MG built.

Now whether the team is good enough is another question but when we are looking at trimming the fat, the underperformers gotta go. Expect some players to be shipped out as well.

After this if the team is still not good enough, MG will go

No because all Mg has done is made a few mediocre trades, signed a few mediocre players and continuously throw the youth away. The only meaningful contracts he signed were guy with previous ties to the team under the Burke/Nonis era.

Then he completely botches the goalie fiasco. All the people that say Schneider is the man are in for a huge awakening. So far he's been nothing but bedcrapter. Lu is seemingly more and more un-tradable given his moronic contract.

I honestly cannot think of one single big move MG has made. How about Sundin? Look how great that worked out.... Give a guy 5mil to float around for half a season. The guy is way way way over rated and a very mediocre GM at best.

vancouver is also a location that unfortunately has higher income tax, detrimental to bringing in key players

I agree with most of your post, but I think you're a bit off in your assessment of Gillis.

Yes, there was more he could/should have done, (Not replacing Manny's faceoff prowess in particular) but the Hamhuis and Garrison signings are hugely underrated, IMO, as is the re-signing of the twins at less than market value...

Hamhuis almost begged to come here. Gillis would have been a fool to turn him down.

wow very surprised to see Burrows come out and say that, but I'm gad he is being honest, just goes to show AV had no clue on how to get the team motivated.

Lol at the people trying to say AV is good at motivating his players.

If he was so good we wouldn't come out flat in 90% of our games.

For those that think he should not have been fired and blame the team that MG has assembled...

Are the Canucks really bad enough to be swept by the Sharks?

Are they really bad enough to lose in 5 games against the Kings?

Are they really bad enough to only score 8 goals in 7 games against the Bruins?

If they are not, then it means they didn't play as well as the team that MG built.

Now whether the team is good enough is another question but when we are looking at trimming the fat, the underperformers gotta go. Expect some players to be shipped out as well.

After this if the team is still not good enough, MG will go

Well the Sharks are 2-2 at the moment with LA. Are the Canucks better than LA too?

Yes they were..........and LA swept everyone else as well.

Blame that on the guy who signed them. The Bruins were a BRUTE of a team with no little skill and we were walking wounded........or have you forgotten all that. We had skill, heart and physicality but we were too small.

Last time I looked the GM is in charge of supplying talent.............

Hamhuis almost begged to come here. Gillis would have been a fool to turn him down.

That's not how I remember it. IIRC, there was another team involved and it was a close thing...

However, I agree that there were as many misses as hits. He should have done whatever it took to get Schultz. JS was exactly what this club needed.

He should have waited until the off-season to move Hodgson. The Canucks needed him for the playoffs.

He should have found a centerman who could win a faceoff at this year's deadline, or before. He knew Manny wasn't going to be part of the team and Kes wouldn't be at 100%.

Meanwhile, David Steckel was there for the taking...

Archived