The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Cue the Tort's for Coach crowd to become active.

Just thought I'd put my 1 cent (from 2 cents - after the CRA gets through with it) in. :P

6319_10151640250115295_828869553_n.jpg

All I want to see now out of the Canucks and Mike Gillis is this:

Veteran coach who will shake the living daylights out of the locker-room. 42 (sorry...43) ~bleeping~ years!!! Damn it!!! Git r'done. Gillis!!!

No fancy crud like Dallas Eakins (no head coaching experience in the NHL). No tryouts for Gulutzan (didn't work out too well with the Stars, did he!). Just get Torts and build a coaching staff around him. AN EFFECTIVE COACHING STAFF!!!

If the "stars" decide to tune out Torts, then the "stars" don't deserve to be here. <--- now we're talking about "player accountability". Any player that isn't accountable in their play or decides to "not play" because he got called out for "floating" is not a player that we want on the Canucks. This core of players were unable to get it done. Maybe a more abrasive coach may be able to get something out of them rather than allowing them to continue "status quo". And if they're going to rebel. That shows something about "their character" then.

I don't give a sour owl excrete just how "nice" the player is. The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. What does Torts have that the Canucks DON'T? A Stanley Cup!

Just transferring my points from the "locked thread".

There is no doubt torts is a good coach but I don't think he would be a good fit with our current roster. Our core players all supposedly take on leadership roles, and based on what I have heard from the interviews, a coach like tots is the last thing they want. I know they are professionals and should play for anyone, but I fear that players like the sedins and bieksa would clash with his style of coaching.

John Tortorella or Dallas Eakins get my votes, for some reason I have a good feeling about either one of them. Tippett if he becomes available, Ruff or even Guy Boucher wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to Vancover... But I'm sticking with these two as my guys for the next coach of the Canucks, somebody quote me. ;)

EDIT: You know on second thought, what if Torts is too hard on the twins and they decide they don't want to play here next season? That would suck! Their contracts do expire after next season, only way around this is if MG signs them to extensions before the season starts and Torts starts going in on them. lol Then they're stuck... :ph34r:

Still perhaps Eakins would be a better fit, he has a way of bringing out the best in young players and isn't that exactly what MG is looking for? Bet Kassian has a career year next season if we hire Eakins as head coach.

There is no doubt torts ch but I don't think he would be a good fit with our current roster. Our core players all supposedly take on leadership roles, and based on what I have heard from the interviews, a coach like tots is the last thing they want. I know they are professionals and should play for anyone, but I fear that players like the sedins and bieksa would clash with his style of coaching.

The Canucks tried it the players way for years and it has not worked. Time for a different approach. They need to go back to being just players followingvtheir coach. Not trying to coach, motivate, be media liasons, etc.

my vote is for Don Hay as head coach Trever Linden and Stan Smyl for assistants.three very prominent vancouver personalities and three high quality individuals who the player even the vets could learn from and would respect .

would hate to see tippits or ruff get the job d first boring hockey sucks.and if you read the statement Gillis made he wants the team to play an" entertaining up beat style" so you can rule out 1/3 off the guys on that list.

Good thing your vote means nothing then, since one doesn't want to coach in the NHL and the other two don't have coaching on their resume to even consider them for the job.

Once and for all people.....Trevor Linden is not a coach. Nor does he want to be.

For those calling for the hiring of Torts: Be careful what you wish for. I've read countless posts complaining of how AV "throws his players under the bus"....

Tortorella wrote the book...

The Canucks tried it the players way for years and it has not worked. Time for a different approach. They need to go back to being just players followingvtheir coach. Not trying to coach, motivate, be media liasons, etc.

Arguably the players haven't had their way since AV first came on. One of the big knocks against AV was that the players had to follow him and fit into his system or they sat (well, some of them anyway <_< ). We need the players to be allowed to do the things that made them successful in the first place and, thus, a coach that can recognize this. We don't necessarily need the new coach to come in and bust balls, we just need that coach to see our strengths and craft an adjustable system accordingly.

eakins seems like the right mold that gillis is looking for. The marlies finished 3rd in AHL scoring and had the same GP/G avg in the playoffs. They also were sound defensively finishing tied for 7th in GA. He seems to be able to teach younger players the question is can he relate and take control of a veteran team?

Good thing your vote means nothing then, since one doesn't want to coach in the NHL and the other two don't have coaching on their resume to even consider them for the job.

Stan Smyl was an assistant coach in Vancouver in the 90's which includes the 1994 cup run.

Torts sure is the biggest name out there so that must mean he is the best. I'm sure the fact that all the skill players who have played under him have had bad years by accident. I'm sure Gaborik who was great with the wild and looks like his old self on the blue jackets didnt suck in ny because torts didnt know how to play a fast paced skill game.

I'm sure Richards who was playing at almost a point per game in dallas hasn't swiftly declined because of torts style.

Hey I think the Sedins killing penalties and blocking shots will be a great boost to our offense.

If we are looking for consistency then Torts is totally our guy. I mean just look at the teams he has coached in the past. Consistency from his players has never been an issue.

Can I stop being sarcastic now? Do the torts lovers understand yet that not only is he a terrible candidate but gillis is not the type of person to bring someone with a personality like that into our locker room?

I'm just done talking about it so next person I see post garbage about the team just needing someone to motivate them the way torts did in ny, I'm going to troll until they stop watching hockey and go back to watching big brother rer runs.

Archived