The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

If that questionable source is somehow true, I'm not sure how I feel.

On the one hand I think that short term (like 1 season) Torterella may have a positive effect. But as a long term solution he may start to alienate our players once he gets to know them.

A tamer Tortorella to start could be a good thing. But if he comes in here acting like he did in New York, I think we might as well blow up the team now, cause it won't go well IMO.

that source is not 100% that is forsure

Tortorella will have hopefully learned a thing or 2,i hope.! I think your right though people are being 2 drastic,it will take time to have serious beef with players like he did in Nyc,will he get that time here? Probably not because we are in a win now build when all else fails mode .could he do some damage when things are not going 2 the plan ?Yes.

My biggest problem with tortz is his playing style,more like av then most realize.

His antics aside, one thing I will give him credit for, is his development of young players.

He did some good things with guys like Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Del Zotto, Mcdonagh, and Staal. Probably because they were scared sh*tless of him. :lol:

His antics aside, one thing I will give him credit for, is his development of young players.

He did some good things with guys like Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider, Del Zotto, Mcdonagh, and Staal. Probably because they were scared sh*tless of him. :lol:

That's what needs to happen to develop our young players like Kassian. No mr. nice guy or bs.

yea your right their young players seemed to do very well and you even go back further with tampa and its the same result.

I also think he would be the type of guy 2 give everyone their fair shake off the start, lineups and etc I dont think you would see him decide because ballard has had a bad go recently that he is going to be a problem without due cause

I'm sure you would see the same thing about any coach that had a losing record.

What do you think Flames fans would have said about Daryl Sutter after he left the Flames? Probably something similar.

I give Ruff a bit more credit because Buffalo has been a bit of a mess. In the past they were financially strapped, and more recently they have a GM handing out stupid contracts. He did the best he could with what was on paper a pretty average team.

Ruff with Sutter and Blashill is my dream team right now based on who's available. I think Sutter will be motivated to win a cup now that his brother has.

How was Ruff to have any success in Buffalo when the money wasn't there to keep the talent he brought along. Briere was the obvious one but there was a regular trail of talent leaving the Sabres. New ownership is changing that but to late for Ruff. It reminds me of the Nashville situation but Barry Trotz has survived.

Remember when Quennville was available a few years ago? That was the time to make the change....

I have a feeling it will be Stevens since the Canucks already put it in their ear so they would spread the word about him. Every article this week in the Province has been about Stevens most likely being a "lock" for the head coaching position. What concerns me is how badly he shat the bed in Philly, and that he is a very defensive-minded coach.

A few years ago? He was winning the Stanley Cup a few years ago....

I'm pretty sure Ruff is pretty well respected around the league, why do you think Team Canada keeps on asking him to coach the team?

Because he's always available?

You want a coach that the team respects so much they'll run through a wall if he tells them to.

Having a coach that players are afraid of is not the way to motivate.

You look at coaches like Babcock and Quenville and it's easy to see why their players respect these guys.

I would honestly take Gretzky over Tortorella or Ruff. At least he could earn the respect of the room.

Whilst I get what you're saying DeNiro that only applies to some players. As I said in an earlier post it depends on the character of the players. Some players require the arm round the shoulder response and some players need the kick up the ass.

Being in a sports environment I know I would love a coach like Torts. Someone with a bit of drive and passion. Is he over the top? Yes he is but maybe he can get some of these players to realise that to be successful the work ethic has to be there. I watch the Blackhawks, Bruins and other teams and their work ethic is so much better than ours. If this team wants success they have to put the effort in. Torts would do that short term.

As for the poster who said the Sedins would get injured because Torts would have them out on the PK blocking shots. That will never happen and every coach knows that the PK is something that the Sedins shouldn't ever be on.

Here's some interesting records about Stevens when he was Flyers head coach:

2006 Most consecutive losses in Philadelphia Flyers history (10) (Head Coach)

2006–07 Worst season record in Philadelphia Flyers history (Head Coach)

2006–07 NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next (101 points in the 2005–06 season to 56 points in the 2006–07 season) (Head Coach)

2008 – Tied 2006 record of most consecutive losses in Philadelphia Flyers history (10) (Head Coach)

I've gone on record and said that Stevens is not the right fit here.

It looks like Tippett is staying in Phoenix, so with this said, i'd like either Ruff or Tortorella hired.

Canucks have had trouble with scoring, so wouldn't it make sense to hire Ruff, who employs Run N Gun Style.

Wow those are some horrible stats. U just un-sold me on him

Lets go with ruff then!

Archived