The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

I kind of like the idea of Torts as an assistant coach with Ruff as head coach. I mean, it'd kind of be like good cop/bad cop with Ruff being the calmer type, and Torts flinging poo every time someone doesn't back check.

That would be awesome. But would Torts want to be an assistant?

Wow those are some horrible stats. U just un-sold me on him

Lets go with ruff then!

What he forgot to mention is that was his first ever season coaching the big league with the worst group of goalie anywhere.

Antero Niittymaki

9-29-9 ▪ 3.38

Martin Biron

6-8-2 ▪ 3.02

Robert Esche

5-9-1 ▪ 4.33

Michael Leighton

2-2-0 ▪ 3.69

Martin Houle

0-0-0 ▪ 30.00

And that they next year they finished with 95pts and lost to Pittsburgh in the ECF. And that he now has a lot more experience having been AC with LA in their cup win and was responsible for the defence that completely embarrassed the Canucks

Here's some interesting records about Stevens when he was Flyers head coach:

2006 Most consecutive losses in Philadelphia Flyers history (10) (Head Coach)

2006–07 Worst season record in Philadelphia Flyers history (Head Coach)

2006–07 NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next (101 points in the 2005–06 season to 56 points in the 2006–07 season) (Head Coach)

2008 – Tied 2006 record of most consecutive losses in Philadelphia Flyers history (10) (Head Coach)

I've gone on record and said that Stevens is not the right fit here.

It looks like Tippett is staying in Phoenix, so with this said, i'd like either Ruff or Tortorella hired.

Canucks have had trouble with scoring, so wouldn't it make sense to hire Ruff, who employs Run N Gun Style.

Using the 2006/07 stats is hugely unfair and not wholly his fault. He also took them to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2007/08 but you've only concentrated on the bad.

Here's my post earlier in this thread on Stevens:

From Canucks Army:

COACHING CANDIDATE PROFILES: JOHN STEVENS

Posted earlier I'm sure but as you obviously hadn't seen it here it is again.

EDIT: almost...

• marginal NHL defender but had a great AHL career (he's in the AHL Hall of Fame)
  • took a puck to the eye (wear your visors kids) which ended his career but stepped in the the Flyers AHL team as an assistant role from there
  • became head coach of the Phantoms after ~2 seasons, stayed for 6
  • his record: 230-181 (with 33 ties and 16 OT losses), 30-18 in the playoffs with a Calder Cup to show for it (won 6 of 9 series they played in)
  • promoted to assistant coach in 06/07 for the Flyers behind Hitchcock, who was then fired 8 games into the season and Stevens became head coach
  • had terrible goaltending and poor defensive depth (what's new Flyers fans?) but made the playoffs in his second and third year (ECF, 1st round, both losses to the Penguins)
  • Flyers struggled in his 4th season as HC, and he was fired after a 13-12-1 start
  • improved 5 on 5 play and top 10 for PP and PK during his tenure, had a 120-109-34 overall record
  • hired as an assistant by LA, became interim coach until Sutter was hired as well
  • initially ran both the defence and PK, Sutter changed PK to shared role when he was hired
  • credited with improving the play of Doughty, Muzzin and Voyanov while in LA
  • described as "specific, detailed, analytical, well thought out and articulate"

I've bolded the directly relevant parts, but being an NHL assistant for the first time then being handed the reigns of a team after Hitchcock was fired 8 games into the season was a recipe for disaster. Add to that the Philly roster in his first two years had:

• 4 goalies playing games in 2006/07 (Mike Leighton, Marty Biron, Robert Esche and Anterro Nittymaki) - none of which had a save % over 900
  • a bad to terrible defence with only Timonen and Coburn being any good in 2007/08 with Rory Fitzpatrick (18 games), Jim Vandermeer (28 games) and Ryan Parent (22 games) also seeing major action, Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher were there as well but at the end of their careers

That's a tough roster to win with, but he still managed to get them to the playoffs in 2007/08 (the Eastern Conference Finals to be exact) where they lost to the Penguins. That was the year they had the 10 consecutive losses in Feb 2008. The next season, they got back to the playoffs again but lost to the Penguins again (who went on to win that year after being in the finals the year before).

The Flyers still haven't fixed their goaltending and they're still looking for defencemen, so that should put Steven's role in their record that year in perspective. It's pretty unfair to judge him completely on that, especially his first NHL coaching year when he was thrown into the head coach role as a replacement.

EDIT: +1 to mbal23 for having the same idea and beating me to it.

He wasn't even interested in the assistant job apart from his daughter lives in California and it was a chance to be closer to her. He doesn't want the stress of a head coach job for sure as he had health related problems and took a step back for that reason.

What health related problems does Robinson have?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/need+someone+crack+whip+Bieksa/8427437/story.html

“I don’t think we need somebody to come in and crack the whip,” defenceman Kevin Bieksa said Thursday.

“We can work together toward a common goal. I still believe in this team and that the core can win and that we’re young enough to win. We’re more mature and even-keeled, and maybe (coach’s rants) is appropriate on rare occasions, but every coach has his own strategy and opinions on how they should act.

“We’ve grown up a lot together and we’re accountable. I think we can handle that stuff internally with the players.”

What health related problems does Robinson have?

I haven't read anything that states what specifically it was, they just say stress related.

BroiledSports™@BroiledSports14h

According to ESPN Radio John Tortorella will be named the head coach of the Vancouver #Canucks as early as next week

WHHAHHAHAT? where is gillis taking this team. gong/side show torts...

Posting it for a third time doesn't mean it's a reliable source or will come true.

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

37m

Scott Arniel was interviewed to replace Alain Vigneault and could become a Canucks assistant coach after guiding Chicago Wolves.

Glen Gulutzan was also interviewed to replace Alain Vigneault. Former Stars head coach might be a good Canucks fit in Uitca. Good teacher.

I wondered about Gulutzan as an assistant, but it's possible he takes Arniel's job and Arniel moves up to an assistant with the team.

Here's an article discussing John Stevens as the most likely candidate for the job. I feel he would be a fine choice.

Stevens seen as front-runner for Canucks’ vacant head coaching position

"John Stevens’s first gig as a head coach in the NHL began, and ended, abruptly. He took over the reins of the Philadelphia Flyers less than three weeks into the 2006-07 season, after Ken Hitchcock was fired, and three years later, Stevens, too, was fired after leading the team to a middling 13-11-1 record at the start of the 2009-10 season.

When Stevens took the Philadelphia job, he oversaw the worst season in Flyers history. The next year they went to the Eastern Conference final. The last game he coached in Philly was a 3-0 loss to the visiting Vancouver Canucks.

The defensive-minded 47-year-old, who for the past three seasons has been an assistant in Los Angeles, is the perceived front-runner for the vacant head coaching job in Vancouver and is expected to be interviewed by the end of this week.

There was a brief explosion of interest this week when deposed New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella was interviewed in Vancouver on Tuesday but the ornery coach is a much more likely candidate in Dallas, where he is set to be interviewed next week.

What makes Stevens the Canucks’ front runner is his glove-like fit with the team’s needs, which are essentially twofold. First, there is a veteran core – led by the Sedins – which will likely remain unchanged despite president and general manager Mike Gillis’s talk of a “reset.” Stevens has NHL experience and the ability to manage a team that considers itself close to Stanley Cup contention.

Second, Vancouver will rely much more heavily on younger players next year. This is where fired Alain Vigneault was less strong, specifically because he unforgiving of mistakes – see: Zack Kassian.

Stevens won the AHL championship, the Calder Cup, in 2005. It is a trophy he lifted three times as a player, in 1988, 1991, and 1998 – and in 2011 was inducted into the AHL hall of fame.

“Whoever our next coach is will have to be able to work with young players,” Gillis said last week on Canucks broadcaster Team 1040, echoing comments he made after he fired Vigneault last month. “We are committed to getting younger players into our lineup and being patient enough to allow them to develop and play.”

And, finally, Stevens is also something of a blend of the first two points. He has, with some stern force, helped develop young talent in the NHL, specifically defenceman Drew Doughty in Los Angeles. In Vancouver, the likes of the promising but erratic Alex Edler could use such tutelage. Stevens can, in addition, shepherd young defencemen Chris Tanev, and rookie Frank Corrado.

Stevens is one of a field of candidates, perhaps as many as eight, to be assessed as Gillis decides who will lead a hockey team that has been ejected from the first round of the playoffs in two successive seasons.

One name who could spark a battle among Vancouver, New York and Dallas is the currently unavailable Dave Tippett in Phoenix.

Dallas Eakins, the Toronto minor-league coach, scored double interest from Vancouver, sitting down twice, and perhaps that is why Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish – who spent 2011-12 coaching Vancouvers’ AHL affiliate in Chicago – rushed to hand Eakins the Oilers coaching job last Saturday.

Beyond Eakins, and Tortorella, Vancouver has interviewed fired Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan, who probably won’t secure any of the three NHL current openings. Scott Arniel, who had coached in Columbus and led Vancouver’s former AHL affiliate in Chicago, was interviewed. (On Thursday, Vancouver’s new AHL team was approved to base itself in Utica, N.Y.)

Stevens and Vigneault are not entirely dissimilar but there are differences. One is that Stevens might be a bit more of a hard-charger, not exactly a Tortorella but more knuckling than Vigneault, who during some stressed in-game moments would not even join the team in the locker room and leave it to the Sedins, Ryan Kesler, and Kevin Bieksa. Stevens’s boss in Los Angeles, Darryl Sutter, helped bring cohesion to a loose squad last year.

Then there’s the young players. Vigneault was not fond of watching inexperienced NHLers flail on his watch. Now, there is no choice, Gillis has said explicitly several times. Vancouver will have to lean much more heavily on unproved young players next year, largely because the team is in a tremendous salary-cap crunch and names such as their first-round draft choice last year, Brendan Gaunce, a 6-foot-2, 207-pound, 19-year-old centre who captained the OHL’s Belleville Bulls last season, is a definite candidate to make the team."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/stevens-seen-as-front-runner-for-canucks-vacant-head-coaching-position/article12538074/?cmpid=rss1

Using the 2006/07 stats is hugely unfair and not wholly his fault. He also took them to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2007/08 but you've only concentrated on the bad.

Here's my post earlier in this thread on Stevens:

I've bolded the directly relevant parts, but being an NHL assistant for the first time then being handed the reigns of a team after Hitchcock was fired 8 games into the season was a recipe for disaster. Add to that the Philly roster in his first two years had:

• 4 goalies playing games in 2006/07 (Mike Leighton, Marty Biron, Robert Esche and Anterro Nittymaki) - none of which had a save % over 900
  • a bad to terrible defence with only Timonen and Coburn being any good in 2007/08 with Rory Fitzpatrick (18 games), Jim Vandermeer (28 games) and Ryan Parent (22 games) also seeing major action, Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher were there as well but at the end of their careers

That's a tough roster to win with, but he still managed to get them to the playoffs in 2007/08 (the Eastern Conference Finals to be exact) where they lost to the Penguins. That was the year they had the 10 consecutive losses in Feb 2008. The next season, they got back to the playoffs again but lost to the Penguins again (who went on to win that year after being in the finals the year before).

The Flyers still haven't fixed their goaltending and they're still looking for defencemen, so that should put Steven's role in their record that year in perspective. It's pretty unfair to judge him completely on that, especially his first NHL coaching year when he was thrown into the head coach role as a replacement.

EDIT: +1 to mbal23 for having the same idea and beating me to it.

At this point, if i was to believe that he is being scouted for head coach, i put my support behind a Stevens hire.

The Flyers job was really a blip. That was a time where they were (and still are) grossly mismanaged.

He has worked with some of the best minds in Hockey and can bring something to the team.

If Gillis wants to sprinkle the roster with some skilled size, i think Stevens would be a suitable guy to help this along.

Tortorella as head coach, Stevens as defensive coach, Arniel as special teams.

Why would Stevens leave LA to be an assistant here?

If he leaves LA it will be to become a head coach.

I could see us signing an assistant coach that's out of work right now like Maurice or Crawford.

Why would Stevens leave LA to be an assistant here?

If he leaves LA it will be to become a head coach.

I could see us signing an assistant coach that's out of work right now like Maurice or Crawford.

I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Head coach: Ruff or Tortorella

Assistants: Crawford and Krueger

Archived