The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Would you like to add to the conversation? Or just say everyone's opinions suck?

Not everyones opinions suck. But its fair of you to ask me to not be a dink. Even though ive already posted which angle i support as far as candidates go.

Just tired of seeing people parrot exactly what is trending on TSN and the Province with this coaching search.

First it was the Ruff bandwagon, which is fully understandable, he probably would be a fine replacement.

Then it was the Eeakin's bandwagon. Fits the thinking-out-of-the-box requirement for MG. And that is about it. From the research ive done he deserves a chance, but not with this current make up of this team. Rookie coaches with a veteran core is probably a risky endeavor. However i think he is the perfect fit for the Oils.

Even riskier is supporting a Torts hire, or a desire to have him here. He certainly fits the criteria for ownership, but not management...or the organization as a whole.

He is a good coach for a particular type of team that needs discipline amongst the player ranks. He can coach (actually all coaches can do so too...) different styles...BUT...

He is absolutely atrocious in handling star players. I mean its stupifying.

Sitting Brad Richards when your team is on the ropes in the playoffs????!!!!!!!!

Hands down has to be one of the top-10 most idiotic Hockey coaching gaffes in the new NHL. I give him credit for shouldering blame for the playoff exit. But to hear him say he simply did not know what to do to get guys working harder is telling.

It is also not lost on me that most of the problems with that roster, aside from key injuries lay squarely with the players.

The many red flags are historically clear. And i simply do not care if he won a Cup with Tampa, he came in at a time and changed their culture, and then he became toxic for the club after that win.

Watch that 24/7 with him. You can witness how many guys tune him out, even when he his not being heavy handed with them.

And players over the years speaking out about him clearly indicate he would be the wrong fit.

For those that argue that it be great to have him here to kick player's butts to jump start the team, id argue that ANY coach hired will have the same effect without the antiquated methods of being a frigging bully.

No to Torts, and a hell yeah to Stevens.

^^ Okay well an argument can be made against hiring Stevens too. Like his complete failure as a head coach for the Flyers.

Yes he's had success coaching a tight defensive style in LA, but look at their personnel. Can he really do the same thing with the players on the Canucks? And do we really want the team playing that way?

I 'm not gonna pretend I know who the right fit is. I think it's a big guessing game how a coach will fit in with certain teams. Tortorella could be exactly what this team needs right now at this point in time, or he could be a disaster. It's hard to say.

Doesn't matter anymore. Eakins was the only capable coach and Gillis wasn't able to hire him. Whatever is left is pretty much 2nd tier coaches.

Right. The guy who's only accomplishment is making it to the Calder Cup finals. :lol:

Don't buy into the Eastern media hype train. The next big coach to come out of the AHL is Jeff Blashill. His team is close to sweeping the Crunch in the AHL finals. And if he's a product of Detroit, you know he's good.

Doesn't matter anymore. Eakins was the only capable coach and Gillis wasn't able to hire him. Whatever is left is pretty much 2nd tier coaches.

Only capable coach who hasn't coached a single NHL game as the bench boss?

I don't doubt he will have success in the NHL but right now Eakins is the only capable NHL coach to be in a Head n' Shoulders commercial.

^^ Okay well an argument can be made against hiring Stevens too. Like his complete failure as a head coach for the Flyers.

Yes he's had success coaching a tight defensive style in LA, but look at their personnel. Can he really do the same thing with the players on the Canucks? And do we really want the team playing that way?

I 'm not gonna pretend I know who the right fit is. I think it's a big guessing game how a coach will fit in with certain teams. Tortorella could be exactly what this team needs right now at this point in time, or he could be a disaster. It's hard to say.

Might want to do some research. He wasn't a failure with Philly.

I would like to see

Stevens as head coach

Paul Maurice as a assistant his team always have great zone entry.

Rest of the assistants not sure

Might want to do some research. He wasn't a failure with Philly.

I would like to see

Stevens as head coach

Paul Maurice as a assistant his team always have great zone entry.

Rest of the assistants not sure

Maybe failure is a strong word, but he was far from spectacular.

If you call making it to the Eastern Conference finals and getting their butts handed to them success, then I guess he did alright.

There are coaches available that actually have a track record of making the playoffs year after year though. I'm not sure Stevens isn't just a really strong Assistant coach, rather than head coach material.

All coaches are going to have disrespect or hate in one way or another. Simply saying that a coach is hated and useless for benching a player or having a bad run in the past is nothing more than an excuse for previous incidents and not at all a representation of his abilities or what he could bring to Vancouver.

It wasnt a complete failure, but yes you can argue about a Stevens hire for sure.

Never really regarded the Kings in the way you described. The players assembled by Lombardi clearly fit a style he wants which is disciplined, hard nosed, physical Hockey with a good balance of skill. You do need size on the roster to play that way, but you risk injury.

If anything they remind me of a cleaner Bruins.

For sure theres an argument to be made about Stevens as he has been involved with teams that feature bigger skilled players and there is a formula on how to win with that type of roster. Maybe Stevens is ahead of the game and has asked about how MG plans to flesh out the team with suitable personnel?!!!

But really, i share your feeling about not knowing who would be the right fit. I have zero idea who could really work here. But i think its safe to say that coaches would probably like to work with the core talent and may have some great concepts that fit in with managements desire to usher in youth in the right roster spots.

Its a pretty scary adventure. And im glad MG is taking his time.

I think we all can agree that this team in its current state must start graduating only our best prospects to keep shaping the club after the Sedin era and continue the traditions of staying competitive.

All coaches are going to have disrespect or hate in one way or another. Simply saying that a coach is hated and useless for benching a player or having a bad run in the past is nothing more than an excuse for previous incidents and not at all a representation of his abilities or what he could bring to Vancouver.

It;s a huge issue when the outgoing coach was so bad at player evaluation he was unfit to make the lineup for a pee wee team.

Duder, he benched Brad fricking Richards. He may have been playing average, but you do not quit on a guy like that in that juncture of a playoff run. You slot him in a different role and reduce his minutes so he is hungry to play correctly. Reducing a team's chances for offence with benching Richard's. What an awful message that sends out to the young players.

How Slats ever agreed with this tactic is beyond comprehension.

Duder, he benched Brad fricking Richards. He may have been playing average, but you do not quit on a guy like that in that juncture of a playoff run. You slot him in a different role and reduce his minutes so he is hungry to play correctly. Reducing a team's chances for offence with benching Richard's. What an awful message that sends out to the young players.

Some of our "star" players absolutely could have done with a healthy scratch. Looking at you, Bieksa and Edler.

He'd also be useful to give the refs the abuse they deserve.

That's the last thing this team needs. The NHL hates us enough as it is

I actually think it sends a great message to the young players......namely that it doesn't matter who you are you have to earn what you get.

I agree that it was a big gamble at what in hindsight turned out to be an inopportune time but I respect that fact that he did not take the safe route like AV did the last two years to try to save his job. He went with what he thought the team and Richards needed to win.....accountability.

Bieksa and Edler could have both used a healthy scratch in the playoffs to smarten them up. And actually if AV did and it worked, it could have probably saved his job.

Archived