The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Statement from Coach V

Clinch16

It's honestly a sad day to see AV being let go. I don't think anyone has the right to call him a bad coach because he did have a successful tenure here in Vancouver with a very good track record. He will have no problem finding a new job I think and I hope that he will have further success where he decides to go. I'm hoping he goes to Dallas and help them find their groove again and bring them back to the playoffs and re-unit him with Rome :)

A new voice was needed, that is all. Awesome guy and person, brought a manly tear to my eye when I read his comments on the players.

I agree everyone should stand up and be held accountable, but by AV not facing the music and going into "hiding" just does not sit well with me, but again that is just me.

I do wish him well as he is another human being doing the best he can to provide for his family and make his mark in life, but again I never have found him to be a leader of men and sometimes you have to ask yourself, are the things I am doing for the best of my team? Or am I letting certain things cloud my judgement, be it a friendship etc. if so you are letting the people that count on you (family) down because you aren't doing it to the best of your ability any longer, and thus leaving the door open to exit the building.

I agree everyone should stand up and be held accountable, but by AV not facing the music and going into "hiding" just does not sit well with me, but again that is just me.

I do wish him well as he is another human being doing the best he can to provide for his family and make his mark in life, but again I never have found him to be a leader of men and sometimes you have to ask yourself, are the things I am doing for the best of my team? Or am I letting certain things cloud my judgement, be it a friendship etc. if so you are letting the people that count on you (family) down because you aren't doing it to the best of your ability any longer, and thus leaving the door open to exit the building.

Well with 2 wins in our last 13 playoff games I don't know how high the bar has been set.

It seems like more than one win in a series would have to be a success based on the last two seasons huh?

Yep, the best goalie the team has had, that had 6 seasons here to take this team on a run in the playoffs, yet couldn't win in every big game they needed him to. Whether it was the team or the goalie, or both, it doesn't matter. Neither came up big when it counted. To keep doing the same thing again and again and expect different results is the definition of insanity.

A tougher division is something that every Canucks fan should look forward to. No more hiding behind division banners. Mediocrity can no longer be spoon fed to fans as a success.

Overall he did a very good job (recordwise etc), but benching a goalie when he's keeping the team in the games the last 2 playoff series looked a little bit too desperate...still likes his pressconferences, but like some said: it was time!

I honestly believe the part about "having families now" has had a pretty siginficant impact on things and the guys may have lost a little focus along the way but I also believe that adjusting to parenthood and settling in to that role will allow them to refocus their energies fully to the game. With the SCF and how that played out, I'm sure they did lose a bit of the love of the game. Getting guys remotivated was likely a difficult task, especially when they could fall back on the happiness at home and turn their attention there.

There are many perspectives on AV being let go, and yours is as valid as any other, but for me, a guy who thought in 2007 AV ought to be replaced for the good of the franchise, this couldn't come soon enough. the bit about families now was just more of his usual deflection of issues, a thin veil of a deflection at least. Like when he called out Wellwood for the bench penalties the team took all year long ...something about welly not telling the difference between the twins...if it happens once, its nothing, it happens twice its something a player is doing wrong and if it happens all year long its the coaches fault. Rather than fix the issue, the coach tossed the player under the bus, and he did it with every thing.

I do not believe for a moment that our success these past years had anything to do with AV and everything to do with an allstar goalie tandem, top line and Dcore. We have, man for man, one of the most talented teams in the league, but you wouldn't know it with the teams playoff record. AV must at the very least be held accountable for that, and in my opinion so much more, and so he simply had to go. he will coach again and he will be very successful in the NHL: but some team of untalented nobodies is the team he will do well with, any top end team of talent such as ours was for most of his tenure here will flounder under his style of playoff hockey.

hey cool thatLuongo let AV pose with his trophy!

Bye Alain Vigneault, your a good coach, but not a great fit with Great Players. Your niche is well known, but as early as 2007 I think the writing was on the wall, good luck.

I would like to have your opinion on that if he HAD played Lu and the results were the same or worse. Many on here were convinced Schneider was going to be a 2nd Tim Thomas/ Jonathan Quick in the playoffs.

I too would have played Lu but let's be honest the last game you play doesn't really have any bearing on the next and hindsight is a great thing.

doesn't need to go? sure Gillis over the year made a couple of good trades.. but years after years after years he fails to address the team's issue and created this goaltending mess we have.. not to mention literally gave everyone he re-signed a no trade clause.. even if this core doesn't work out again next year.. then what? as much as AV time here is prolly up.. he did the best with what he's given.. it's not like he can teach the Sedins to play a different style.. it's not like he didn't try to tell Kesler to utilize the players around him more.. it's not like he tried to tell them to dive around to draw a penalty.. sure some of his decision might not be the greatest.. but a lot of this is on the player as much as it is on the coach.. you are paid millions and millions.. and you need someone to tell you and motivate you in a game? you don't like the coach's message so you going to tune them out and do whatever out there?? that prolly means your so call leaders on the team also ain't doing their jobs either

Guest Gumballthechewy

Wait, after the loss everyone wanted him gone, now that he's gone everybody wants him back?

I like AV, and I'm a bit sorry to see him go, I think gillis should have been the first to go. Obviously AV has achieved a lot here, and he's always had my support, until recently. I really dislike how he handles some of our players, especially our rookies, and going forward we need a coach who can properly develop our rookies instead of destroying their confidence.

Archived