The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Statement from Coach V

Clinch16

I have admittedly been a big critic of AV the last several years and am excited to see what a new coaching staff can do. But AV deserves a tip of the cap on his way out for the good things he did bring and will be leaving behind as he moves on. Love him or hate him, you cannot argue that he had some great accomplishments in his time here and he is a good coach. I fully expect him to find a job quickly.

I have admittedly been a big critic of AV the last several years and am excited to see what a new coaching staff can do. But AV deserves a tip of the cap on his way out for the good things he did bring and will be leaving behind as he moves on. Love him or hate him, you cannot argue that he had some great accomplishments in his time here and he is a good coach. I fully expect him to find a job quickly.

You guys are pathetic. First Luongo and now AV. You guys call for their heads but as soon as they leave or prepare to leave you guys start to feel sorry for them and want them back. StupidFAnbase

agreed. i've always loved vigs, but after 7 years and 2 years of playoff failures after reaching the finals, it was time for a change. i just feel for whoever comes in next, cause he'll have the world on his shoulders coming here to accomplish what vigs has with this team. whichever team snatches up vigs will show vast improvement for sure. pretty sure he's gotten some phone calls already

Well I wonder how many non appearances we will have in the playoffs now? Especially with the reduced cap, all these NTC's MG has been handing out, a mediocre prospect cupboard, a team about to trade the best goalie they have ever had for a novice goalie with less than a seasons number of games behind him (and some of these were eye openers)

And then we have the small fact that our division will be tougher.

Exciting times all right.

^^

That's why I would expect at least one core player to be traded other than Luongo. I can see either Edler or Burrows going to be honest, just to remind the other players that this isn't a country club. You either work your butt off and get results, or you'll be finding another team to play for.

<p>

^^

That's why I would expect at least one core player to be traded other than Luongo. I can see either Edler or Burrows going to be honest, just to remind the other players that this isn't a country club. You either work your butt off and get results, or you'll be finding another team to play for.

Should have been Gillis he saved his job by writing that half-hearted letter to season ticket holders.

Thank you for everything you did Alain! I KNOW any NHL team would love to have you as the skipper.

Allons boire un coup quelque part.

You guys are pathetic. First Luongo and now AV. You guys call for their heads but as soon as they leave or prepare to leave you guys start to feel sorry for them and want them back. StupidFAnbase

I think AV could have still done well continuing as the coach. This team has finally realized they don't play we'll enough. The've mentally hit bottom. The real problem this past two years has of course been Gillis. Ballard, Booth, Glass, Manny, Lu, Cody/Kassian, Salo.

I liked AV's composure and his ability to smile through some difficult situations. Some saw it as a fault and that he wasn't taking things seriously, I think it was more that he was fairly level headed and didn't let things get the best of him. In this market, you'd better be able to take it all in stride.

I honestly believe the part about "having families now" has had a pretty siginficant impact on things and the guys may have lost a little focus along the way but I also believe that adjusting to parenthood and settling in to that role will allow them to refocus their energies fully to the game. With the SCF and how that played out, I'm sure they did lose a bit of the love of the game. Getting guys remotivated was likely a difficult task, especially when they could fall back on the happiness at home and turn their attention there.

I'm very sad to see Coach V go...he was my favourite. You can't deny that, while coming short of the ultimate prize, he gave us some excellent years of hockey. I will be grateful for that - saw some of it up close at ice level and they have been the best of my hockey loving years.

Feels like losing a friend....I wish AV the very best of whatever life holds for him. He shall be missed.

^^ As for "addressing the media after...." I honestly believe saying nothing, at times, says it all. What is there to say? The refs gave the Sharks 2.5 times more PP's than we had - speaks for itself. There are no words for that debacle, unless they're profanities.

Thanks Deb for bringing a different perspective, but I don't believe it would have had to have been profanity laced.

I think as a leader it was his duty to address the fan base, it would have spoke volumes to me if he would have stood up and taken some accountability, I am not trying to be facetious, but by him not doing it seems to fall in line with what has happened with this team, that being no accountability.

I can very well accept that and how people would feel that way.

Just that, personally, I can see right through all the cliched answers they throw out and it's often not what they'd really "like" to say...with this team, when you shoot back you're shooting yourself in the foot. I believe that, with many on this team having spent years together, they all basically can speak for themelves and the coach's words aren't as effective. That, perhaps, he was just letting them answer for themselves, as that makes each and every guy out there accountable for their actions, not just him doing that for them collectively?

But I definitely can understand people feeling shortchanged.

Archived