The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Brad Richard gets bought out, would you?

Italia2006

Gillis doesn't admit mistakes. So, we could yet be stuck with Ballard and Booth and an insistance that Kassian is ready, even if he isn't. I'm going to be watching what Gillis does here. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Do you guys remember when Brad Richards almost became a Canuck back at the '06-07 trade deadline?

Nonis was GM at the time and he was having intense conversations with Feaster (of the Tampa Bay Lightning)about aquiring him so the Canucks could have a legit 2nd line center for Naslund. The Bolts reportedly wanted that year's first round pick, Cory Schneider and either Edler or Kesler. Luckily he didn't do the trade, imagine Tampa right now with Schneider and either Edler or Kesler-what a steal that would have been.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Richards won't be bought out. Because when the Rangers place him on waivers prior to buying him out, I think a team will pick him up.

Why would a team do this?

1) He's only 33 - and just turned 33 this month - should still have a lot of hockey left in him.

2) He has had a bad stretch before (in Tampa...also for Torts), but picked his game up.

3) Although he has a 9-year, 60-million dollar contract, 24-million of it has already been paid out - so it is essentially now a 7-year, 36-million dollar contract (2-years and 4.5 million less than what Luongo has left).

4) The amnesty buyout is still available at the end of next season, so if he continues to blow, he can still be bought out without penalty.

5) Where else are you going to get a decent top-line center for zero assets?

It would be a team with cap space and money to blow, who may not be a top destination, so they wouldn't really have a shot at him for cheaper in free agency. Perhaps the Flames? Feaster wanted him before...

EDIT...One wrench that might get thrown into that is Richards' NMC. Does that mean he can't go on waivers? Do the Rags just take him directly to buyout? Rumour was that Richards almost went there anyway. Perhaps Richards agrees to a trade, perhaps for a smaller contract that the Flames wanted to buy out anyways? (Stajan? Only has 2.5 left on contract.)

Actually, I like that more. I suggest that Richards gets traded to Calgary in the off-season for Matt Stajan, and maybe a pick/prospect.

Archived