The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Brad Richard gets bought out, would you?

Italia2006

I am currently not sold on Schroeder as of yet, I do not believe Gaunce or Lain to be ready as of yet and deserving of a year together with Jensen in the AHL. With a new coach I believe this will be a tough transition year for both the teams and us fans and we just dumped our best prospect for what was supposed to be our 2A/2B center in Roy and he's walking. Richards will most likely not be bought out as Sather has an incredible record in shedding bad contracts for good prospects. If in the event he is bought out and available I would cross my fingers in hopes that Gillis wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. He comes across as a non caring player now a days and not the impact person he was even 3-4 years ago. We need heart passion not floaters as it seems some nights we have enough of that on the team.

His salary for the next four years is 9 mil, 8.5, 8.5, and 7 (followed by 3 years at 1.0, which he will likely not play). He doesn't get the full amount in a buyout - it's 2/3. Plus, AFAIK, all the buyouts are spaced out at double the length of the remaining term. So if he gets bought out, next year he gets under 3 mil (instead of 9), plus whatever he can work out on the open market (likely not 6). And even then, he'll have trouble getting another 4-year deal.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

No. Not a fan. Prematurely declining. Agent will price him out being a part of any roster.

*EDIT,i had to at least offer a positive instead of a harsh write off. Id like him here (which wont happen unless his agent reps him proper) if it provides the opportunity to split the twins up*

His salary for the next four years is 9 mil, 8.5, 8.5, and 7 (followed by 3 years at 1.0, which he will likely not play). He doesn't get the full amount in a buyout - it's 2/3. Plus, AFAIK, all the buyouts are spaced out at double the length of the remaining term. So if he gets bought out, next year he gets under 3 mil (instead of 9), plus whatever he can work out on the open market (likely not 6). And even then, he'll have trouble getting another 4-year deal.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If he is willing to move out west and is a cap hit of 3 to 4 mill, I'd love to get him here. He's around the same age as the Sedins and is a proven goal scorer. I know he hasn't had a good year but neither has the Rangers. You would think he could help out our PP and would be another great weapon to have. He's also a 47.9% faceoff guy. I'd rather have him the Roy. He's a proven leader and winner. In Gillis's words, this was an off year. Didn't he also have Dave Tippett as his coach? That would be great if we get the coach and him.

Money won't be a factor for him if he gets bought out considering he will still be making whatever is left on his rangers deal. I think with the way he has been playing max on the market 4m. But I think he will sacrifice some money to play for a winner/cup contender. If we can get him for 2.5-3m I would love to have him here to play with Kes, he needs a pass first guy put Richards on the wing 2nd line.

ROFL, he played like garbage and STILL put up 34 points in 46 games (extrapolates to 61 points over 82 games. Even with his poor playoff performance, it's still 51 points over 82 games) and you think that's a $3M player? :lol:

The average $3M forward (+/- 5%) produces 45.2 points per 82 games ... Brad Richards would get WAY more than a 3-year, $3M contract.

Archived